Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
517698F8-92C1-456A-A519-3334CF351462.jpeg

saulth

May 28, 2020
A drug being developed by Eli Lilly helped sick patients rid their systems of the virus that causes Covid-19 sooner and may have prevented them from landing in the hospital, according to newly released data.

The drug is what is known as a monoclonal antibody, which experts view as being among the most likely technologies to help treat Covid-19. It’s a manufactured version of the antibodies that the body uses as part of its response to a virus.

“This is a good start,” said Eric Topol, the director and founder of the Scripps Research Translational Institute. “A lot is pinned not only on Lilly but on the whole family of these [monoclonal antibodies], because even though they’re expensive and they’re not going to make a gajillion doses, they could make a big difference in the whole landscape of the pandemic.”

In a more tantalizing finding, the medicine also appeared to reduce patients’ odds of ending up in the hospital. Just 1.7% of patients who received the drug, called LY-CoV555, eventually went to the emergency room or were hospitalized, compared with 6% of those who took placebo. That amounts to 72% relative reduction in risk.

“This is extremely exciting, and maybe a pivotal moment in the fight against Covid-19, said Daniel Skovronsky, Lilly’s chief scientific officer. “I think this should give us confidence that neutralizing antibodies are going to be an important part of the solution for ours and other companies, and that we will win the fight against Covid-19 through medicine and innovation.”

https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/16...s-patients-rid-their-systems-of-virus-sooner/

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A drug being developed by Eli Lilly helped sick patients rid their systems of the virus that causes Covid-19 sooner and may have prevented them from landing in the hospital, according to newly released data.

The drug is what is known as a monoclonal antibody, which experts view as being among the most likely technologies to help treat Covid-19. It’s a manufactured version of the antibodies that the body uses as part of its response to a virus.

“This is a good start,” said Eric Topol, the director and founder of the Scripps Research Translational Institute. “A lot is pinned not only on Lilly but on the whole family of these [monoclonal antibodies], because even though they’re expensive and they’re not going to make a gajillion doses, they could make a big difference in the whole landscape of the pandemic.”

In a more tantalizing finding, the medicine also appeared to reduce patients’ odds of ending up in the hospital. Just 1.7% of patients who received the drug, called LY-CoV555, eventually went to the emergency room or were hospitalized, compared with 6% of those who took placebo. That amounts to 72% relative reduction in risk.

“This is extremely exciting, and maybe a pivotal moment in the fight against Covid-19, said Daniel Skovronsky, Lilly’s chief scientific officer. “I think this should give us confidence that neutralizing antibodies are going to be an important part of the solution for ours and other companies, and that we will win the fight against Covid-19 through medicine and innovation.”

https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/16...s-patients-rid-their-systems-of-virus-sooner/

If it does indeed shake down to “Infections 72% less likely to result in hospitalisation” that would be absolutely massive.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This could be significant.......Early signs look very positive

90-minute portable test a ‘game changer’ http://digitaleditions.telegraph.co...d/0/package/357/pub/357/page/28/article/83089

That's what everyone is crying out for!

Hopefully they'll throw a bit of money at the project to scale up production.

I understand these machines are pretty expensive and each machine can only process 16 tests per day (as is obvious from the 90 minute turnaround time).

However, whilst respecting the mood of the GNT, although these are unlikely to be a widely-available solution in the short-term, hopefully they can be deployed in areas where fast test results can make a real difference.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I understand these machines are pretty expensive and each machine can only process 16 tests per day (as is obvious from the 90 minute turnaround time).

However, whilst respecting the mood of the GNT, although these are unlikely to be a widely-available solution in the short-term, hopefully they can be deployed in areas where fast test results can make a real difference.

If you're right about one test per device in 90 mins then it rules out use at live venues (we would need 32,000 devices)

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

In my head, these would be deployed to be used by health workers, care workers and possibly teachers, where potential for spread is greatest and thus speed of result is critical.

That then takes the pressure off the rest of the system to be used by the likes of me, who can afford to sit indoors by myself for a day or two while waiting for results.

It won't get us all back into the Amex directly, but could really help get the test and trace system working properly again, reducing community infections, and that's a big step in the right direction.

Bit by bit we are getting equipped to manage and then eliminate this virus. If we have to temporarily reduce some activity for a while in the short term that is frustrating (as we should never have got ourselves into this position after having brought it down so far) but should be easier to put up with than it was in March/April, given that we can now see where we are going with it, and it doesn't feel like it will be endless now.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Availability should be reasonable if the 5.8 million ordered are deployed quickly and sensibly

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
If you're right about one test per device in 90 mins then it rules out use at live venues (we would need 32,000 devices)

We would also need to stop people leaving on 85 minutes...

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
We would also need to stop people leaving on 85 minutes...

I was assuming that everyone would need to turn up about 2 hours early and then only be let in if negative. There would also be a question about isolating until the results were ready. I wonder how you would arrange 30+ thousand people each 2 metres apart for all that time - they'd need to circle the stadium about 25 times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here