beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
GDP up 6.6%, which is nice.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Received a shift confirmation today for route support for a mass participation event for up to 1200 participants at the end of September in Chilterns

Chiltern 50 mile race going ahead tomorrow........organisers have full covid protocols in place.

Gutted I’m not doing it [emoji3525] Fantastic event.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
9CBE7255-9ECB-487E-B3F5-C83FA5776924.jpeg

Also....

2915A1F3-2C66-4BA8-A210-C6345E752D37.jpeg

5C189AE6-9F52-4013-BD23-E09D669A1BAA.jpeg

FF799717-E564-4E6F-8226-97BFFAD5CD90.jpeg

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Chiltern 50 mile race going ahead tomorrow........organisers have full covid protocols in place.

Gutted I’m not doing it [emoji3525] Fantastic event.

That makes sense with the organisers of the 50k event at the end of the month still going ahead. Fingers crossed it goes well.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
British company launches 20-second COVID-19 test

9/11/2020

British start-up company iAbra said it had developed a 20-second saliva COVID-19 test which had 99.8% sensitivity and 96.7% specificity.

Trials of the “Virolens” test have taken place at Heathrow Airport, the company, which was founded in 2010, said.

“Our system allows simple, high speed, reliable and low-cost testing in dynamic environments,” Greg Compton, CEO of iAbra, added in a statement.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...aunches-20-second-covid-19-test-idUSKBN2611XU

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

D

Deleted member 2719

I guess they thought Operation Pie In The Sky wasn’t apt, even if more truthful?

If you don't have vision, you will not achieve, this is what I like about this government they can think laterally like all innovators.

How’s the tracking app ... the world class one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm glad you asked.

Good news on this too, the test app has been improved on and is launching in a couple of weeks. You don't get to be world class unless you you test and tweak things.

Let's face it what prototype has ever been the best in the world, it just doesn't happen.

Now, please make sure you download it and scan those QR codes.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
These charts are fantastic and show how MENTAL it is to be putting in more restrictions. Barely anyone is dying across Europe anymore despite the increased cases. Anyone rational looking at the France chart would think you'd lost the plot if you were continuing to choke your economy because of this.

That's an argument very much focussed on where we are now, rather than in the context of the whole year to date.

If you were able to produce the same graphs for February they would look very similiar.

Loads of people infected but few deaths.

I'm not advocating another lock down - but you can see why the scientist and medical professionals are so cautious.

D

Deleted member 2719

These charts are fantastic and show how MENTAL it is to be putting in more restrictions. Barely anyone is dying across Europe anymore despite the increased cases. Anyone rational looking at the France chart would think you'd lost the plot if you were continuing to choke your economy because of this.

Perhaps they are listening to science, I really don't think they want to screw up the economy.

Back on topic the charts are impressive, fingers crossed, this virus maybe withering to early to say yet though.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

The charts are great.

But the logic of saying 'deaths are down despite high infections so we can stop being careful' is dangerously flawed.

There may be other reasons but by FAR the most likely at this point is that deaths are not rising fast because we are being careful, infection rates are slower than they were in March and it is mainly non-vulnerable people getting infected.

We have learnt how to live with it - protecting the more vulnerable. But the more widespread it gets in the community the harder it will be to keep doing that (without anyone vulnerable locking themselves away completely again). As yet infections are still WAY below where they were in early March - so as long as they don't continue to rise too far or too fast, which we ensure by all just being a bit more sensible, then we shouldn't see a major increase in deaths. Hopefully in time we'll see infection rates drop again, a la Sweden etc so we can loosen up again. And that will be a success of collective action. Not individualism.

As noted earlier in the thread, GDP is rising and while I don't generally accept GDP as the greatest indicator of how well society is doing, in this case it's definitely good news. The best way we can keep that going is to avoid another closing down, whether deliberate or just because infections rise to the point where fear starts to kick in again (and that will happen). We know how to do it now. Why on earth would we take the risk of letting it go unchecked when we still don't really understand ANYTHING much about this virus yet?

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’d challenge a few points of that last post ...and then probably someone would challenge mine and so on..perhaps that lot can be debated on the sub forum?

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
That's an argument very much focussed on where we are now, rather than in the context of the whole year to date.

If you were able to produce the same graphs for February they would look very similiar.

I think you could have made that argument a few weeks ago but the number of cases went north of 1,000 4 weeks ago but the good news is that still the number of deaths isn't rising, just 6 across the UK today. I haven't seen hospital admission numbers recently but I last heard that they weren't rising in line with infections either. I spent most of yesterday in Worthing hospital (most of it in A&E unfortunately) and spoke to a nurse there who told me that they hardly get anyone coming in because of covid

Yoda

English & European
I think you could have made that argument a few weeks ago but the number of cases went north of 1,000 4 weeks ago but the good news is that still the number of deaths isn't rising, just 6 across the UK today. I haven't seen hospital admission numbers recently but I last heard that they weren't rising in line with infections either. I spent most of yesterday in Worthing hospital (most of it in A&E unfortunately) and spoke to a nurse there who told me that they hardly get anyone coming in because of covid

The Hospital Activity Report for September (which only goes up to the 3rd unfortunately) has got any admissions for Covid showing for Western Sussex Hospitals since the 30th June.

Can be downloaded from here: https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-hospital-activity/

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Sorry to hear of your time in A&E...i had the same conversation with the ladies behind the counter, whilst waiting for the nurse to let me know how my Dad as ...on a separate note it was a tad frustrating to not be able to see him ..but totally understandable as to why I couldn’t..i take it you escaped....unfortunately he is now on the ‘Emergency Floor’

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
If you don't have vision, you will not achieve, this is what I like about this government they can think laterally like all innovators.

I'm glad you asked.

Good news on this too, the test app has been improved on and is launching in a couple of weeks. You don't get to be world class unless you you test and tweak things.

Let's face it what prototype has ever been the best in the world, it just doesn't happen.

Now, please make sure you download it and scan those QR codes.

It’s two months late. It’s a good news thread so i’ll refrain from tearing you a new one on the app.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Face masks could be giving people Covid-19 immunity, researchers suggest

Face masks may be inadvertently giving people Covid-19 immunity and making them get less sick from the virus, academics have suggested in one of the most respected medical journals in the world.

The commentary, published in the New England Journal of Medicine, advances the unproven but promising theory that universal face mask wearing might be helping to reduce the severity of the virus and ensuring that a greater proportion of new infections are asymptomatic.

If this hypothesis is borne out, the academics argue, then universal mask-wearing could become a form of variolation (inoculation) that would generate immunity and “thereby slow the spread of the virus in the United States and elsewhere” as the world awaits a vaccine.

It comes as increasing evidence suggests that the amount of virus someone is exposed to at the start of infection - the “infectious dose” - may determine the severity of their illness. Indeed, a large study published in the Lancet last month found that “viral load at diagnosis” was an “independent predictor of mortality” in hospital patients.

MORE >>> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-...-giving-people-covid-19-immunity-researchers/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here