Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Eric Dier climbs into the crowd to punch Spurs fan

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Saturday, 12:35.

Our man (legend) in The Family Stand got right in the face of a couple of fans (who absolutely shouldn't have been there) because of their gesticulating, early doors.

'Harms way' - not exactly crawling over the segregation swinging for Palace fans I suspect?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I'm sorry but I'm with Eric here.

The abuse and personal crap that footballers and footballers families have to put up with is unacceptable, this type of reaction is inevitable.

Even at local County football you here personal insults levelled at people they don't actually know, have no understanding what they've dealt with in their lives and is normally done out of drunken stupidity, I think to challenge them, if the authorities don't, is the right action.

So you think that a player who is maybe earning £100k per week is OK to chin a fan who is utterly fxxked off and annoyed and perhaps said ‘You useless cxxt!’.

Righty o.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Minimum wage stewards... when have you ever seen them put themselves in harms way? Like I said pretty much everyone would react the same if they saw their family involved in some kind of altercation. You simply would not stand at a distance and hope it blows over.

You are skipping over the fact that he is a Footballer and has the '' Responsible Role Model'' position to fulfill. And I for one wouldn't react like that and if you knew me you would know I wouldn't be the type of person to let someone casually throw punches at me or verbally abuse me or my friends and family.

But this wasn't the case. There was no physical altercation taking place, prior to his actions.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Dale Stephens with his 'fan club', in hospitality after a game:-

That's ****ed up. It looked like he killed them. When you are a well practised in the art of fighting whether martial arts, boxing or street, and you know the damage you can do, especially against these young non fighting teenagers, you/he should be charged with attempted murder. I hope the law came down on him hard,

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
'Harms way' - not exactly crawling over the segregation swinging for Palace fans I suspect?

He put himself in a position where if his protection of his stand fell on deaf ears, he would have been in serious trouble.

T'was a sight we're not used to in the Family Stand, which it probably why I mention it.

Ppf would have definitely been 'excited'. :lol:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You are skipping over the fact that he is a Footballer and has the '' Responsible Role Model'' position to fulfill. And I for one wouldn't react like that and if you knew me you would know I wouldn't be the type of person to let someone casually throw punches at me or verbally abuse me or my friends and family.

But this wasn't the case. There was no physical altercation taking place, prior to his actions.

Being a footballer or role model doesn't over take human nature though does it?

And if there was no physical altercation then why did he do it? My understanding from witnesses that were there, is someone was throwing abuse at Eric Dier, his family were stood in front of the bloke and had a word, Eric Dier saw his brother grappling with the man in question and went in there.

You just contradicted yourself - you say you wouldn't react like that, but then wouldn't let someone casually throw punches or abuse your family. Like I say if your family is in an altercation with someone, what would you do?

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
People have been arrested and been to court for similer acts. Will be interesting. Did he actually hit the bloke?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
People have been arrested and been to court for similer acts. Will be interesting. Did he actually hit the bloke?

No the bloke had done a runner by the time he got there

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Being a footballer or role model doesn't over take human nature though does it?

And if there was no physical altercation then why did he do it? My understanding from witnesses that were there, is someone was throwing abuse at Eric Dier, his family were stood in front of the bloke and had a word, Eric Dier saw his brother grappling with the man in question and went in there.

You just contradicted yourself - you say you wouldn't react like that, but then wouldn't let someone casually throw punches or abuse your family. Like I say if your family is in an altercation with someone, what would you do?

All circumstances are totally different - I haven't contradicted myself at all.

Many situations can be defused by diplomacy and for most of us that would be the default position, including my own. There is absolutely no way that I would get into a physical altercation at all unless I had been physically attacked and needed to defend myself, which I could do if I needed to - but I haven't needed to get into a physical altercation since I was about 16 years old. Physical confrontation should always be a last resort.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Daft bugger, that'll be a big fine and a long ban.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Sticks & stones Eric. Sticks & stones.

If a member of his family was being physically attacked I could understand his reaction. But a bit of name calling? Sheesh....he needs to grow a pair.

Hope he gets a lengthy "holiday".

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

If a member of his family was being physically attacked I could understand his reaction. But a bit of name calling? Sheesh....he needs to grow a pair.

You think he could pick out a person in a crowd, 20 rows back for calling him names? It is because his brother was in a physical altercation with someone, who had been abusing him.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Was anyone else shocked by Mourinho's appearance in the videos on line when interviewed. He looks gaunt and quite frankly, ill...

As much as I'm not his biggest fan, he's calmed down such a lot and I sincerely hope he's ok. Football's passionate and he is a big character in the game. :thumbsup:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath

But that's not always the case. I wish that saying was true mate.

There can be some truly disgusting words used to describe people's skin colour, religion, sexual orientation or downright nasty things like mocking an illness, disability, disaster or even self-confidence.

Until what was alleged to have been fully said, I'm not going to take a 'supporter' or a footballer's side.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
So you think that a player who is maybe earning £100k per week is OK to chin a fan who is utterly fxxked off and annoyed and perhaps said ‘You useless cxxt!’.

Righty o.

I'm talking about what appeared to be a prolonged level of abuse, by the account I heard. Is it right, no, of course not. Can I understand why he reacted, yes.

This I take personally as I witness it from time to time. I heard a fan at a county level game recently shout "don't let him do that, break his f***ing legs", my Son is 16, I'm never going to allow that to go unchecked, wrong, maybe ..... understandable, probably. Did it make any difference? He stopped shouting it and MAY think twice next time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
All circumstances are totally different - I haven't contradicted myself at all.

Many situations can be defused by diplomacy and for most of us that would be the default position, including my own. There is absolutely no way that I would get into a physical altercation at all unless I had been physically attacked and needed to defend myself, which I could do if I needed to - but I haven't needed to get into a physical altercation since I was about 16 years old. Physical confrontation should always be a last resort.

This. You’re civilised!

It’s not being weak or a coward. Like the vast majority of people you don’t deal with disputes by the use of fists, the threat of fists, or in your face yelling.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Spurs are falling apart. My biggest concern is that other clubs will pick up 3 easy points against them.

They still have to go to Bournemouth and Newcastle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here