Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Amex expansion.

el punal

Approx 2,000

Consultants engaged and ratified at Thursday’s board meeting - not clear if today or last week.

https://twitter.com/andynaylorbhafc/status/1230868676955471873?s=21

Exclusive: Brighton planning Amex expansion https://theathletic.com/1624772/2020/02/21/brighton-amex-stadium-expansion/?source=shared-article

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If true this is interesting. I remember Tony Bloom was asked about ground expansion at the fans forum before the away fixture at Bristol City in 2016/17 season. He stated, I believe, that due to the structure of the Amex that expansion would be difficult and that only a 100 or so extra seats could be possible. Bearing in mind since then the hospitality box has been built in the south east corner - so where then would you fit around 2,000 extra seats?

I would imagine that it could only be at the back of the North Stand, and that by doing away with whatever is behind the wall at the back of the stand. Possibly introducing safe standing with rail seats? One thing is for sure the revenue generated by such a move would be a tidy, give or take, £1.2 million per year (based on a £600 season ticket).

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
You could be on to something here makes me wounder if it's a ploy by Tony, Matty and Aron to slowly dig the Albion to Australia after all we would storm the Australian league :smile:

He's on to fukk all. If they lower the pitch they'd have to narrow it otherwise the upper tiers wouldn't see it all. The lines of sight aren't accidental.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Population of E and W Sussex is 1.3m. Take Crawley out of the equation (non-league attendances at best) then we have a large catchment area to draw from. One club county.

East and West of Brighton, the Sussex connection counts for something. But you don't have to go far north before casual fans start noticing that there's a little place called London just up the road, full of clubs more glamorous than Albion. No Palace, not you.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
East and West of Brighton, the Sussex connection counts for something. But you don't have to go far north before casual fans start noticing that there's a little place called London just up the road, full of clubs more glamorous than Albion. No Palace, not you.

However, the population of north Sussex is very small as most of us are stretched along the coast!

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
And when you go further west of worthing, you start getting pompey fans... [emoji30]

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If true this is interesting. I remember Tony Bloom was asked about ground expansion at the fans forum before the away fixture at Bristol City in 2016/17 season. He stated, I believe, that due to the structure of the Amex that expansion would be difficult and that only a 100 or so extra seats could be possible. Bearing in mind since then the hospitality box has been built in the south east corner - so where then would you fit around 2,000 extra seats?

I would imagine that it could only be at the back of the North Stand, and that by doing away with whatever is behind the wall at the back of the stand. Possibly introducing safe standing with rail seats? One thing is for sure the revenue generated by such a move would be a tidy, give or take, £1.2 million per year (based on a £600 season ticket).

The NE corner, unlike the other corners, hasn’t been developed higher up.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It’s a Naylor ‘exclusive’ on The Athletic.

NSC. Scoop central

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed that. In national terms, that respects the time-honoured journalists' definition of an exclusive as 'a story that nobody else wanted.'

el punal

The NE corner, unlike the other corners, hasn’t been developed higher up.

That crossed my mind too. I’m just wondering though whether you could fit that many seats (1,250 - 2000) in that area? We wait and see, bearing in mind the number of seats for the whole of the North Stand back in 2011 was 2,688.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That crossed my mind too. I’m just wondering though whether you could fit that many seats (1,250 - 2000) in that area? We wait and see, bearing in mind the number of seats for the whole of the North Stand back in 2011 was 2,688.

The back of the NS would require a different arrangement of steels to support the roof with a long beam or truss across the top. Not cheap for TB. But a bigger NS would be impressive.

Nay-sayers claim we’d then need more exits. Have the deeper stands at St.Mary’s and Derby for example, got two rows of exits?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Perhaps we are all going to have to budge up a bit to squeeze some more seats in per row.
Not likely as there is a 'maximum number of seats from the aisle' regulation that each seat has to comply with, and each aisle has to have an exit.

Although, I suppose this could be possible on ground level tiers, as the exit is the pitch - but the aisles would need to be reconfigured, eating space gained by narrower seats.

Last edited:

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Apologies if already mentioned, but this is the only Amex-related (recent) planning application that I could find on the Council planning portal -
https://planningapps.brighton-hove.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=Q4VL15DMHO700
These things are far too complex for my small brain, but it looks as if it is talking about deleting an earlier condition regarding car parking and seating, and applying for new conditions.
It needs someone who understands this dense legalese to interpret it for the likes of me, I'm afraid.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Apologies if already mentioned, but this is the only Amex-related (recent) planning application that I could find on the Council planning portal -
https://planningapps.brighton-hove.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=Q4VL15DMHO700
These things are far too complex for my small brain, but it looks as if it is talking about deleting an earlier condition regarding car parking and seating, and applying for new conditions.
It needs someone who understands this dense legalese to interpret it for the likes of me, I'm afraid.

2DF9C96F-D821-4F0E-9581-DC31D7936D0E.png

That’s a mouthful.

In context with the 2011 application to increase stadium capacity, with the new map plan, I think they’re paving way for the loss of the 650 Bennett’s Field temporary car park (the owner seeks permission to build student accommodation on it). This is to do with transport - the club will find additional transport capacity after the loss, with park n ride etc.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
How many seats per row in the north stand? If it’s about 200 (guess) then only need 5 extra rows for another 1000 seats which I think is doable if the offices are moved, depends if the structure could accommodate the extra load, the scoreboard would need rehousing too, perhaps in front of the police box as all they do it watch CCTV so why do they need windows?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
How many seats per row in the north stand? If it’s about 200 (guess) then only need 5 extra rows for another 1000 seats which I think is doable if the offices are moved, depends if the structure could accommodate the extra load, the scoreboard would need rehousing too, perhaps in front of the police box as all they do it watch CCTV so why do they need windows?

The original NS without the corners, 112 seats across.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
View attachment 120378

That’s a mouthful.

In context with the 2011 application to increase stadium capacity, with the new map plan, I think they’re paving way for the loss of the 650 Bennett’s Field temporary car park (the owner seeks permission to build student accommodation on it). This is to do with transport - the club will find additional transport capacity after the loss, with park n ride etc.

Ah, OK - thanks for the clarification.

I saw the 'capacity' and 'parking' references, but now understand the 'capacity' issues relate to the earlier 2011 application, and this more recent one is solely to do with parking.

I did say that it was beyond me :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here