[Albion] Amex expansion.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
I am sure that expansion was in the original build plans, so probably a crane and an adjustable spanner and hey presto....more seats wherever you want them!!

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I am sure that expansion was in the original build plans, so probably a crane and an adjustable spanner and hey presto....more seats wherever you want them!!
I have wondered if they could copy what was developed in the South stand. Corporate boxes could occupy the area behind the North which apparently cannot be extended because of horizontal steel girders. A balcony could then extend out offering seating for the boxes. The number would probably mirror the seats in the south stand which would probably only run into the low hundreds. Not sure where the 2k would come from.....maybe NE corner and East upper?:glare:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Bognor and Chichester perhaps, but a lot of us Albion fans catch the train from Southampton, and many get on at Fareham, Cosham and Havant to even things up. :wink:
I realise that but were they born there? Have they migrated there from the Brighton area? Anyone growing up in those areas has at least 2 other clubs to choose from.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

TheBigUnit

Apr 4, 2012
London
There's always away with these sort of projects, but I imagine it's entirely down to the cost to befit ratio - I doubt the club would be prepared to completely re-engineer the entire stadium, with a cost of into 10 of millions of £'s for just two thousand or so seats.

It would be great if the AMEX where the biggest venue on the south coast though! Exciting times :amex: :mad: :amex:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If the planning permission request's gone in, it must be detailed enough to show WHERE the extra seats are envisaged going in shirley? Anybody got any info on which of us will be directly affected?

TheBigUnit

Apr 4, 2012
London
If the planning permission request's gone in, it must be detailed enough to show WHERE the extra seats are envisaged going in shirley? Anybody got any info on which of us will be directly affected?

To be fair Naylor's Athletic article does say, "Planning permission requests have been made to add extra seats in various parts of the stadium to help satisfy demand". Would these requests be squirrelled away on the City Council planning website somewhere...? :annoyed:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I'm not sure if it would be possible but perhaps the north could be extended with a cantilevered stand above the current stand. A complex steel cantilever frame could extend beyond the concrete trusses to extend from the west "shelf" perhaps with a few extra rows where it comes parallel with the existing north.

A 12 row 2nd tier could seat approx 1500 north standers who prefer to seat, the upper 10 rows of the current north stand remain seated and the lower 16 become safe standing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200223-145136_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200223-145136_Chrome.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 268

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
To be fair Naylor's Athletic article does say, "Planning permission requests have been made to add extra seats in various parts of the stadium to help satisfy demand". Would these requests be squirrelled away on the City Council planning website somewhere...? :annoyed:

I'm thinking that planning permission requests have to be made public and a specific amount of time allowed for objectors to, er, object. Pretty sure that before the day is out, somebody will have been arsed enough to dig out the planning permission reference number, which will explain all in full detail

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I'm thinking that planning permission requests have to be made public and a specific amount of time allowed for objectors to, er, object. Pretty sure that before the day is out, somebody will have been arsed enough to dig out the planning permission reference number, which will explain all in full detail

I'm guessing this is where it will be (soon).
Currently shows applications to w/e 14th Feb.

https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/co...pplications/weekly-list-planning-applications

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I'd also love provisions for some sort of intermediate between premium and standard concourse/bars. Standard experience in the stands but proper pub style bars with decent beer and food options, seating. If this was on the north stand extension and had its own access it could open outside of match days. I'd pay 1 to1.5k per season as long as I wasnt surrounded by corporate types.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The club submitted a planning application to City Council at the end of January ...

Non-material amendment to application BH2013/01356 to alter description of development to read: Community Stadium with accommodation for business, educational, community, health, conference, club shop, entertainment and food.

Application for removal of condition 1 and variation of condition 36 of application BH2011/03861. (Variation of condition application to increase maximum
number of spectators at American Express Community Stadium to 30,750 and to change parking provision within 1.5km to between 1500 and 3000 vehicular
parking spaces). Wording for condition 1 to be removed currently reads - "Of the additional 8,250 capacity hereby approved, only 5,991 seats of the additional
capacity shall be brought into use for the 2012/2013 football season". Wording for condition 36 to be varied to read as follows - "When the 650 space
temporary car park on land to the east of the Stadium (planning application reference LW/11/0466) ceases to be in use, of the additional 8,250 capacity hereby
approved, only 5,991 seats of the additional capacity shall continue to be in use. None of the remaining capacity of 2,259 seats shall be returned to use unless
details of a permanent park and ride solution, or other permanent transport solution to the satisfaction of the Local Planning Authority, to replace the 650 space
temporary car park, has been agreed in writing by the Local Planning Authority and until the permanent park and ride solution, or other permanent transport
solution, has been implemented

View attachment 120378

That’s a mouthful.

In context with the 2011 application to increase stadium capacity, with the new map plan, I think they’re paving way for the loss of the 650 Bennett’s Field temporary car park (the owner seeks permission to build student accommodation on it). This is to do with transport - the club will find additional transport capacity after the loss, with park n ride etc.

The whole 'brought into use' things makes me wonder if it means the 8,250 seats were added at the time, but we've only been allowed to use 5,991 of them. I do remember Barber or Bloom mentioning at one of the pre-season Q&As how capacity isn't just about how many seats we have, but how many we are allowed to sell tickets for. This application seems to me like it could be about changing the conditions so that we may use the rest of them, once we can confirm arrangements to replace bennett's field car park.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The whole 'brought into use' things makes me wonder if it means the 8,250 seats were added at the time, but we've only been allowed to use 5,991 of them. I do remember Barber or Bloom mentioning at one of the pre-season Q&As how capacity isn't just about how many seats we have, but how many we are allowed to sell tickets for. This application seems to me like it could be about changing the conditions so that we may use the rest of them, once we can confirm arrangements to replace bennett's field car park.

8,250 have been installed already.

Of which 5,991 was infilling of the corners and ESU, with the balance added elsewhere.

The new 1,250 is on top of the 8,250.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'd also love provisions for some sort of intermediate between premium and standard concourse/bars. Standard experience in the stands but proper pub style bars with decent beer and food options, seating. If this was on the north stand extension and had its own access it could open outside of match days. I'd pay 1 to1.5k per season as long as I wasnt surrounded by corporate types.

Dick's Bar is in the North and is open on non match days. Seems to operate mainly as a staff lunch canteen on non match days, but is open to all

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Dick's Bar is in the North and is open on non match days. Seems to operate mainly as a staff lunch canteen on non match days, but is open to all

It's great to have dicks bar but it feels more like a canteen than a pub and doesn't make me get to ground earlier and probably wouldnt attract students or non football fans outside of match days

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here