Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Am I a dinosaur/out of touch/or offensive?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Lenny you have previous if I recall Window licker springs to mind, sadly we are all dinosaurs in one way or other and causing offence is something we all need to be mindful of its all about trying to be a better person

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Sure.

Let's start with all the people who have clicked the thumbs-up button to agree with my assessment, and then add every single person who has read the thread - discussing what is or is not offensive - and has chosen to completely ignore your lame, transparent attempt to illicit a reaction.

Ha ha those who have 'thumbed up' ya post isn't 'pretty much everyone' is it? What about the thumbs up i get then for my posts? To me 'pretty much everyone' would constitute most NSC members, when clearly this is not the case. I'm not one to revert to insults and I don't like doing so but you are a very pompous person who doesn't like it when anyone dares to express the 'wrong' views on here. 'The voice of reason' is reflective of this, very conceited way to self title ya self. Perhaps 'don't you dare disagree with me' would be more appropriate.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Offensive, to some people yes. Belittling, definitely.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not going to bother reading the replies I'm just going to assume 99% of NSC think it was a twatty thing to say.
While the remaining 1%'s opinion on the matter is so arcane I've never taken anything they've written seriously.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think today’s generation have ironically been programmed, like following some order sent down from the social media gods, to seek offence where none is intended and possess a list of key words including Nazi that sets off some chain reaction in their brain that screams I am offended. Let’s face it half of millennials don’t know what one is such is their poor knowledge of history as studies show so quite how they’re offended I don’t know. Harty, we live in a world now where those that preach tolerance are the least tolerant of all, fanatically so. And consequently you’re only a Twitter away from being ‘shamed’ whatever the facts are, they’re irrelevant now. People only understand their perspective (ie not more senior generations!) and hell hath no fury like a millennial scorned. In that respect, you’ve been naive nothing more. Even if I were offended by such a quip, official letter etc is a bit OTT. Sound like the bee got trapped in her bonnet.

Funny you write that, when it is clear by reading the Mail or Express, or just talking to my older in-laws and others of their age, that these are some of the most intolerant people around. In both cases you just continually hear disparaging remarks about gay people, the young, people on benefits, the EU, the Labour party, environmentalists, muslims, foreigners, and so on and so forth. So much intolerance and yet its the millenials who get it in the neck.

What you really want is for people to be tolerant of intolerant people.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ha ha those who have 'thumbed up' ya post isn't 'pretty much everyone' is it? What about the thumbs up i get then for my posts? To me 'pretty much everyone' would constitute most NSC members, when clearly this is not the case. I'm not one to revert to insults and I don't like doing so but you are a very pompous person who doesn't like it when anyone dares to express the 'wrong' views on here. 'The voice of reason' is reflective of this, very conceited way to self title ya self. Perhaps 'don't you dare disagree with me' would be more appropriate.

Bless

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Sure, I get that as most people of my (our) generation do. But in the current climate, there are plenty of people actively seeking to get offended by pretty much anything, and to make sure people know about it. If the BBC repeated this episode on prime TV, I'd bet my left bollock that some woke millennial would complain about it. Probably on twitter.

BBC play it via UK Gold. I've just selected it on catch up. It contains a warning at the start, but the entire episode is there in all its glory.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Sure, I get that as most people of my (our) generation do. But in the current climate, there are plenty of people actively seeking to get offended by pretty much anything, and to make sure people know about it. If the BBC repeated this episode on prime TV, I'd bet my left bollock that some woke millennial would complain about it. Probably on twitter.

When I started work in the eighties, for the Central Electricity Generating Board (spelt out for the youngsters), the middle managers, would fall over themselves to lead training courses, as it gave them access to all the bright young things. I've never had daughters, but would be delighted, if I did that they would not have to run that particular gauntlet. Any blokes feeling a bit Sid James over this prospect, should also reflect that you could get overlooked for a hard earned promotion, in favour of a more flighty individual prepared who was prepared to sleep with the boss.

Having said that people getting offended just manages to provoke a reaction in us. I try and switch off all of the following;

1 Food delivery/Take away served me meat and I am a Vegan (not that committed or you would make your own) - Think it but don't say it (if I or my family had a severe allergy, I would make my own F'ing sandwiches, rather than play russian roulette in a sandwich shop)

2 Anyone offended by anything royalty related, particularly protocol.

3 Celebrity all outs, with very few exceptions.

4 I really don't give a toss if Men earn more than women for playing professional tennis, acting in films, or working for the BBC - all of these people are more than adequately compensated and their glaring lack of self awareness shines brightly. It isn't fair I get that but in the great scheme of things, it is somewhere near the bottom of the pile.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
People deserve to be treated with respect in their work, so yes I think you crossed the line, but I also understand your frustration and sense of proportion. A conversation with a family around a funeral delay, for no explicable reason (now averted) is a worse prospect, than taking a bit of abuse on the telephone, but this wasn't her problem, but yours.

It’s also worth remembering that, I imagine, he will need to liaise with them in the future. . Belittling council staff like this isn’t a smart move.

Lenny: Is that the council?
Council: Yes it is, who is that?
Lenny: Lenny Rider?
Council: Ah, yes, we have spoken before. What can I do you for?
Lenny: I need blah blah
Council: Sure, no problem, hold the line and I’ll sort this............pops down pub for two hours because that’s what all public sector staff do at lunch time.
Council: Hello, hello, anyone there?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Funny you write that, when it is clear by reading the Mail or Express, or just talking to my older in-laws and others of their age, that these are some of the most intolerant people around. In both cases you just continually hear disparaging remarks about gay people, the young, people on benefits, the EU, the Labour party, environmentalists, muslims, foreigners, and so on and so forth. So much intolerance and yet its the millenials who get it in the neck.

What you really want is for people to be tolerant of intolerant people.

Nailed it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Excellent work! Do carry on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
BBC play it via UK Gold. I've just selected it on catch up. It contains a warning at the start, but the entire episode is there in all its glory.

As I'd assumed, tbh.

I'm a notorious flicker with the remote, but whenever I come across a FT episode, no matter how far in, and no matter how many times I've seen it, I find it impossible not to watch it through again. Racial and sexual stereotypes abound in every episode, it would never get past a BBC commissioner (or any other broadcaster) if it was written these days. I'm just glad we can still easily revisit them.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Lenny you have previous if I recall Window licker springs to mind, sadly we are all dinosaurs in one way or other and causing offence is something we all need to be mindful of its all about trying to be a better person

Yes surely a case of engage your brain before opening your mouth. Especially as you will probably have to deal with the young lady again at some point.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Had an issue with Worthing Borough Council about some funeral related paperwork, a 20 something office person came on the phone and suggested a way forward that adopted not one shred of common-sense or flexibility.

Eventually they came round to our way of thinking but as an aside I spoke to the young lady and said there would be no hard feelings, and somewhat tongue in cheek, stated because like the Nazis she was only acting under orders.

She found this analogy, in her words, extremely offensive, and I have received an official communication from her line manager reiterating this fact.

It was a quip, and I honestly meant no offence, but are these kind of things really deemed politically incorrect?

Basically we stopped them delaying a funeral because of some nit picking, and ultimately the families we look after are the ones paying the bill, both mine and that of the crematorium.

She wasn't offended.

If she was, it was on the basis of you being fairly condescending and rude. Perhaps it was justified, hard for me to say. Either way you should know better, never underestimate how jokes, good or bad, can be seized upon to judge your character.

Comedians battle with it on a daily basis. Just the world we live in I'm afraid. It'll pass in time, just like a kidney stone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here