Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Films from the past that have passed by and forgotten but worth a look ?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
"Harold and Maude", Hal Ashby's 1971 black comedy starring Bud Court and Ruth Gordon with a soundtrack by Cat Stevens. I saw it once on TV about 40 years ago. I'm not aware of it being shown again since, so I think that qualifies as "forgotten".

Also "Little Big Man" from 1970 starring Dustin Hoffman.

Harold and Maude. Forgotten? Really? No dear.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
"The Ruling Class" from 1972 starring Peter O'Toole. A film which also influenced my sartorial choices for a couple of summers after I'd seen it.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
All solid gold (imho) and mostly under the radar.

Army of Crime - great French resistance film, true story.
Flame & Citron - great Danish resistance film, true story, Mads Mikkekson at his finest.
Felon - top prison film, Stephen Dorf, Val Kilmer.
Cell 211 - another great prison film.
Justice - great watch, Nicholas Cage and Guy Pearce.
The Town - Afflek and Renner, gritty Boston heist flick.
End of Watch - LA cop romp with Jake Gyllenhall
Shooter - Mark Wahlberg, sniper conspiracy flick

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Warriors - The long good Friday.

I loved 'Warriors' as a kid, but those gangs that looked tough and frightening when I was a kid, now look like a bunch of camp art students. I preferred 'The Wanderers' which I watched recently and still enjoyed. Great soundtrack.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The last castle (2001) - A court-martialed General rallies together twelve hundred inmates to rise against a corrupt and sadistic warden. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0272020/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

In Darkness (2011) - A dramatization of one man's rescue of Jewish refugees in the German-occupied Polish city of Lvov. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1417075/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Fish Story (2009) - As a comet approaches earth, threatening to end civilization when it impacts, a Japanese music store owner insists to his customers that the world is not coming to an end and that a long forgotten song by an obscure band will save the world
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1244666/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Idiocracy (2006) - Private Joe Bauers, the definition of "average American", is selected by the Pentagon to be the guinea pig for a top-secret hibernation program. Forgotten, he awakes five centuries in the future. He discovers a society so incredibly dumbed down that he's easily the most intelligent person alive.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Last edited:

Mr Albion

Nov 7, 2003
brighton
oh yes!

loved this film, also from the halcyon days of whenBBC2 at Xmas would show brilliant films. Was how i got into Jack Lemmon and Walther Matthau films. Also an amazing purple patch of antipodean cinema including the great Goodbye Pork Pie. The Apartment simply THE Christmas film for me

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
My favorite movie all time is "Smoke" from 1995, written by Paul Auster and starring Harvey Keitel, William Hurt, Forrest Whittaker etc. Its about a tiny tobacco store in Brooklyn where locals hang around. Like in most of Auster's books, nothing really happens yet its a very comfortable ride.

Trailer:

Recommend it to anyone not obsessed with explosions and special effects. Also would not recommend it to anyone who recently quit smoking.

Also want to recommend "The Endless Summer", the cult surf documentary from 1966. I have never surfed a minute in my life and probably never will, but this movie is just very special. Here in its entirety:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
The Odd Angry Shot
Gallipoli
Phar Lap
Storm Boy
The Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith

Gallipoli was brilliant, Chant of Jimmy Blacksmith was excellent, didn’t like the race horse one much and haven’t seen Storm Boy, but I’ll raise you Picnic at Hanging Rock.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
"Johnny Got His Gun" (1971) Another film I saw on TV about 40 years ago and have never been aware of it being screened again since.

About a young soldier in WWI (Timothy Bottoms) lying in a hospital bed after sustaining horrific injuries after being hit by an artillery shell. He's a quadruple amputee who has also lost his eyes, ears, mouth and nose. He remains conscious and is able to reason, and we the audience are able to hear his thoughts and his desperation.

Trivia: The film was incorporated in the video of Metallica's song "One". Eventually, the members of Metallica bought the rights to the film in order to keep showing the music video without having to pay additional royalty fees.

https://youtu.be/EzgGTTtR0kc

Last edited:

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
"Atlantic City" (1980) saw this on TV about 35 years ago when they were showing a Burt Lancaster season. Never seen it screened since but still look out for it. Kept meaning to buy it on video...then DVD...but never did.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
"Kiss of the Spiderwoman" (1985) Set in a Latin American jail cell and the relationship between its two inmates, one a gay man (William Hurt) and the other a political prisoner (Raul Julia).

Saw it upon its release at the cinema but never seen it screened on TV.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Not by me, or you, obviously. I was referring to those others. It's never struck me as a widely appreciated or known film apart from a certain "cult" status.

My Harold and Maude DVD gets watched nearly as often as Butch Cassidy or Dinner For One at the Trufflehound kennels.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
The Mummy (1999 version) is still very good for some Sunday afternoon silly action fun
Equilibrium with Christian Bale is similar but a lot better than The Matrix for me
And Last of The Mohicans is one of the finest films ever made

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
This (modern) trailer doesn’t really sell it that well, but I think Val Guest’s 1962 murder mystery Jigsaw should be better known, especially in the Brighton and Lewes region where it was set and filmed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here