Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Films from the past that have passed by and forgotten but worth a look ?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Seeing as 1917 is currently flavour of the Month it would be worthwhile looking out a Film from 90 (yes that is 90) years ago All Quiet on the Western Front.

Ozymandias86

Jun 24, 2011
Kanazawa

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Vanishing, made in 1988, is a superb movie, and has stayed with me for decades. Absolutely brilliant, shocking and chilling.

I haven't seen the 2019 movie of the same name, and don't know if it is a remake, or just a film sharing the same title.

Edit: Google tells me it is an entirely different premise.

There was a remake in 1993, from the same director and starring Keifer Sutherland, Jeff Bridges, Nancy Travis and Sandra Bullock. It is not particularly fondly remembered. I don't know how much of that is it being overshadowed by the original, and how much is it just being poorly made.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Sure Thing (1985) - John Cusack faces a trip across the States at the end of a college term, with a stuck up female student who can’t stand him. Used to love that movie.

3 lovely Scottish movies from the 80’s, all directed by Bill Forsyth:

Gregory’s Girl - it wasn’t the main story line, it was sweet and funny bits along the way of juveniles in a Scottish new town.
Local Hero
Comfort & Joy - with the brilliant Bill Paterson

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Come and See - terrifying ww2 anti-war Soviet picture, but arguably and in fact recognised as one of the greatest war films ever made. Haven’t seen for 30+ years and it left me somewhat scarred by as it’s not an easy watch. Remarkable film nonetheless, remember lots of scenes and sounds vividly.

On a lighter note, another film I loved and haven’t seen since mid 80s is Restless Natives. Why it’s never shown I don’t know, a low budget gem of a picture. Must sit down and see again one day.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The Sure Thing (1985) - John Cusack faces a trip across the States at the end of a college term, with a stuck up female student who can’t stand him. Used to love that movie.

Gregory’s Girl - it wasn’t the main story line, it was sweet and funny bits along the way of juveniles in a Scottish new town.
Local Hero

Oh you’ll love my recommendation I’m sure, having just read yours after mine...! In a Big Country... ;)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Sleepers
If
Barbarella

Very good, all three.

Going to add “The Dish” too...based on real story, only in Australia lol drama-comedy that’s very entertaining!

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)

Local Hero

Love Gregory’s Girl, I’ve probably watched it more than anything else!

Have you seen “That Sinking Feeling”? Much the same cast as Gregory’s Girl.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Old Yeller

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
In our current world situation I would recommend Soylent Green and Silent Running, both explore the consequences of climate change, overpopulation and bleak futures.

And lest we forget, Soylent Green is set in the year 2022, which is now only 2 years away.

A pretty accurate prediction of the future considering it was made almost 50 years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here