Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Films from the past that have passed by and forgotten but worth a look ?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
This (modern) trailer doesn’t really sell it that well, but I think Val Guest’s 1962 murder mystery Jigsaw should be better known, especially in the Brighton and Lewes region where it was set and filmed.

Strange coincidence you posting about Val Guest just as I was contemplating posting about The Day the Earth Caught Fire.

OK, so it's probably his best-known film and hardly "forgotten", but I watched it the other day and was struck by how spookily some his portrayals of extreme climate disaster from 60 years ago reflect what's actually happening today (albeit caused in the film by atom bomb testing, not global warming).

I've not seen Jigsaw. Will look out for it.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
[video]https://www.imdb.com/video/vi3914334233?playlistId=tt0067 803&ref_=tt_ov_vi[/video]

Always loved this one

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Billionaire Boys Club , currently on Sky Movies, bombed at the box office taking less than a $1,000 on its first weekend, on account of one of its stars. Kevin Spacey being involved in a sex scandal about a week before it was released.

Expunge the word nonce from your memory banks, and watch an entertaining and interesting film based on a true story.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Dark City - overshadowed by release of The Matrix a year later.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Town - Afflek and Renner, gritty Boston heist flick.

Agreed on this, didn't get the recognition it deserved.

I do wonder though if it's partly down to having the most boring name for a film of all time. Perhaps only topped by the name of another Affleck film;

The Accountant

Last edited:

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Agreed on this, didn't get the recognition it deserved.

I do wonder though if it's partly down to having the most boring name for a film of all time. Perhaps only topped by the name of another Affleck film;

The Accountant

Indeed. Spend all those millions making a film, sit around brainstorming it and come up with those two titles. Coming next from Affleck, The Film.

Jeremy Renner very much at the top of the game in The Town, as is Pete Postlethwaite and, is has to be said, Affleck. As a fan of Point Break, I do love a good bank heist flick.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Triffic stuff

download.jpg

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The Spanish Prisoner.

The most Mamet Mamet has ever been; weird stilted yet cumbersome dialogue, absolutely no-one can be trusted, Steve Martin playing very much against type, the story just flies along and it should have been seen and enjoyed by more people.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Blue Juice.

Early 90’s surf/rom com film set in Cornwall. Catherine Zeta Jones, Ewan McGregor, Sean Pertwee.

It will never go down as one of the greats but I watch it now and again and still enjoy it. Reminds me of a nice time in my life. Yiung and carefree heading down to Cornwall for weeks in the summer with mates. Good times.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Indeed. Spend all those millions making a film, sit around brainstorming it and come up with those two titles. Coming next from Affleck, The Film.

Jeremy Renner very much at the top of the game in The Town, as is Pete Postlethwaite and, is has to be said, Affleck. As a fan of Point Break, I do love a good bank heist flick.

I would say imagine how good they would be if he didn't cast his blockheaded self in the key roles. His best film is when he didn't.

...As I mentioned earlier on this thread I am a big fan of "Trading Places" and watched it again the other day. Although I can't quite get my head around the denouement there are great performances and amusing scenes within and I think it stands the test of time. I had also forgotten that there is the added bonus of seeing the The Right Honourable The Lady Haden-Guest topless, twice.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Maybe I'm getting old, but Little Big Man and Cat Ballou are top notch.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'm no film buff, but I'm always a bit surprised how 'O Lucky Man', Lindsay Anderson's ambitious (if rambling) parable of 1970s Britain gets rather overlooked. Great soundtrack from Alan Price too and starring a wonderful, young Malcom McDowell.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
"Johnny Got His Gun" (1971) Another film I saw on TV about 40 years ago and have never been aware of it being screened again since.

About a young soldier in WWI (Timothy Bottoms) lying in a hospital bed after sustaining horrific injuries after being hit by an artillery shell. He's a quadruple amputee who has also lost his eyes, ears, mouth and nose. He remains conscious and is able to reason, and we the audience are able to hear his thoughts and his desperation.

Trivia: The film was incorporated in the video of Metallica's song "One". Eventually, the members of Metallica bought the rights to the film in order to keep showing the music video without having to pay additional royalty fees.

https://youtu.be/EzgGTTtR0kc

Watched this last night after reading your post, amazingly haunting film.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
And lest we forget, Soylent Green is set in the year 2022, which is now only 2 years away.

A pretty accurate prediction of the future considering it was made almost 50 years ago.

A brilliant film, but not sure which year you are thinking of for the accurate prediction, certainly not 2022.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
A brilliant film, but not sure which year you are thinking of for the accurate prediction, certainly not 2022.

Soylent Green is indeed a decent bit of kit, but like Logan’s Run it’s (imho) crying out for a remake. Probably a sacrilegious thing to say, but they are dated, classic but dated. Why they’ve never remade Logan’s Run is certainly one of the biggest mysteries of the known universe, especially as they remake a lot of other absolute shite - Charlie’s Angels, Ghostbusters et al.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here