Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jayson Molumby

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
30k at 30 quid a pop works out at .....is 17.2 million concerning gate receipts over a season

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Well at least we only have to (hopefully) wait 10 months to see who's get a better grasp of the situation.

Yeah thats true, hopefully the season won't get called off and he'll have a good ten months where ever he's playing.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Well the thinking that the club wanting to create a production line from academy to the first team is well documented. And a player who is following that plan, who had a great season on loan in the championship but then gets sent out on loan again, its not anecdotal to say he's been overlooked. He hasn't been given a chance yet, that is fact. And yes I think given that we promote this development path with the end goal being an opportunity, sending him out on loan gives a negative message to our academy players.

It's not anecdotal to say he's been overlooked, it's not true and it's just you saying it. Time to stop digging!

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
It's not anecdotal to say he's been overlooked, it's not true and it's just you saying it. Time to stop digging!

That's right its not anecdotal to say he's been overlooked.

And it will clearly be true if we send him back on loan. The FACT that he is not in our first team but out on loan would make it true.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Well the thinking that the club wanting to create a production line from academy to the first team is well documented. And a player who is following that plan, who had a great season on loan in the championship but then gets sent out on loan again, its not anecdotal to say he's been overlooked. He hasn't been given a chance yet, that is fact. And yes I think given that we promote this development path with the end goal being an opportunity, sending him out on loan gives a negative message to our academy players.

In BBA and P we have probably the best 4 people in charge of our club we have not just had but could have wished for as well, I think they probably know what they are doing in regards of managing all the players as well as the academy?

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
At the start of last season, Alzate was kept in the first team squad as peripheral backup midfield option.

Now look at him a year later.

Just because Molumby would be backup here doesn’t mean he wouldn’t get his chance. To be honest I can see him being a regular starter by the end of the season, he’s that good.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I never said it was a fixed system or automatically gave you a starting place in the first team. BUT that it should lead to getting a chance or opportunity to play in the first team, thats not my opinion of how it should work, the club have openly said thats what it wil do. My point is sending him out loan again isnt giving him that chance, and the debatable part is what that looks like. I think it's negative some people obviously disagree.

Well let's flip this around. Would you rather that Molumby played instead of Bissouma, Propper or Alzate, so that we demonstrate that there is a place for young players coming back from a loan? And if not, are you saying that being on the bench, waiting for one to get an injury and playing some cup matches, is inherently better for his development than being first choice in a Millwall side in the championship? And moreover, what would it say to Bissouma, Alzate and Propper who have been doing the job in the premier league, just to lose their place to a younger player 'because we have to give him an opportunity'. (PS, he's getting that opportunity, every day in training.)

It's ruthless up here. The best players play, full stop. He could stay and hope for a bit of luck and a place to open up for him, like Rashford at United, or he could continue with the loan path. Its not easy, it's not supposed to be, and he will understand that.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
30k at 30 quid a pop works out at .....is 17.2 million concerning gate receipts over a season

Good shout....Matchday revenue was £18.5m in 18/19. But all clubs had to take a hit on TV money, too - the rebate to Sky, etc was £330m in total, albeit the bulk of this has been deferred to next year. I think we still had to repay our portion of circa £100m to overseas broadcasters (presumably circa £5m, if apportioned equally).

It's interesting to look ahead a year....some FFP chickens will come home to roost (those who've spent big in this window will have to rein in their spending next year to meet FFP)...plus, the loss of gate receipts over 20/21 will be a further drag. AND the need to pay the Sky/BT rebate at the end of next season.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
Well let's flip this around. Would you rather that Molumby played instead of Bissouma, Propper or Alzate, so that we demonstrate that there is a place for young players coming back from a loan? And if not, are you saying that being on the bench, waiting for one to get an injury and playing some cup matches, is inherently better for his development than being first choice in a Millwall side in the championship? And moreover, what would it say to Bissouma, Alzate and Propper who have been doing the job in the premier league, just to lose their place to a younger player 'because we have to give him an opportunity'. (PS, he's getting that opportunity, every day in training.)

It's ruthless up here. The best players play, full stop. He could stay and hope for a bit of luck and a place to open up for him, like Rashford at United, or he could continue with the loan path. Its not easy, it's not supposed to be, and he will understand that.

Well again , its not about starting in the first team but about getting a chance. If he's in the squad, and starts coming on in games for any of those players, that wouldn't be a problem. And from there you decide if he's good enough to get a start or not. I'd argue that he's earned that chance, not a starting place. I understand that people might feel he still needs to develop and will do that with another season on loan. But as everyone keeps saying if he's good enough then he'll play, and he's not then he wont get a game, how will we know if we don't give the chance?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I suppose Molumby will balance his desire to feature in the Premier League occasionally against his need to keep playing and keep impressing the Ireland head coach. He knows that it was his season with Millwall that won him his first full cap, not his potential or even his history in the under21s with the same coach.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Told it is totally untrue he is set to join Millwall. It hinges on the Stephens to Burnley deal. If Stephens stays, Molumby goes on loan and then replaces Stephens in squad next year. The club are also looking for a championship loan for Max Sanders, as the next stage of his development. No plans to bring in another CM this year...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A couple of things, I question from this thread:

1. Why is [MENTION=29447]Braggfan[/MENTION] so very convinced that IF a player goes out on loan, it is because they have been 'sent out' against their wishes?

2. Why the assumption that if the player does go on loan, it is for the ENTIRE season? A loan for Molumby until January, to get another 15 or so Championship games under his belt (and retain his ROI spot), before being gradually introduced to our match day squad in the second half of the season, might be a very workable compromise.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Does he stay and in all likelihood warm the bench for the majority of the season or go back to Millwall and play. I want him to stay and provide depth for our central midfield ranks but it's a stretch to visualise Molumby breaking into the first team for a prolonged period. So it's probably not the ideal scenario for his development. Which is why I understand Molumby vocalising his preference to play. I don't see how wanting to play (which is the best way to 'develop') shows a lack of ambition, for me it's quite the opposite.

As fans we aren't privy to training sessions and performances therein. Nor unfortunately, are we a 'fly on the wall' for conservations between player and club. So we're speculating on limited info.

Molumby has a future playing at our club but maybe not this season. However if he has a stonker tomorrow night then, well who knows? UTA.

:bhasign:

That’s the chance he has to take if he backs himself to force his way into the PL side he will stay and work with Potter daily, shine in what are likely to be cup games and give the manager a selection headache.

Going out on loan at a club and level he has already played at will give him minutes but will it increase his chances of being a PL starter for us? Next summer he will have another year of playing for Millwall under his belt whilst Alzate and Bissouma have another season of training with PL players and playing for the first team. He is in danger of falling even further down the pecking order.

Look at Whites development a series of steps up to the first team pushing and playing at a higher level each time.

Maybe lack of ambition is too strong a way of putting it but I struggle to see how another season on loan at Millwall (where he has already proved himself) takes him closer to the Albion first team.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
A couple of things, I question from this thread:

1. Why is [MENTION=29447]Braggfan[/MENTION] so very convinced that IF a player goes out on loan, it is because they have been 'sent out' against their wishes?

2. Why the assumption that if the player does go on loan, it is for the ENTIRE season? A loan for Molumby until January, to get another 15 or so Championship games under his belt (and retain his ROI spot), before being gradually introduced to our match day squad in the second half of the season, might be a very workable compromise.

There is a collective madness around at the moment, so many things that are so clearly wrong, have suddenly become certain facts. Molumby told the press BEFORE the start of the season, I hope Brighton play me, but if I can't get regular football I would like to go back out on loan. Maybe the microphone cut out before he faded into an Irish mumble of "against my wishes"

The other one I enjoy is the accepted and repeated logic that it is no good us bidding for decent players, becasue no matter what we offer them, our rivals will just treble it, because that is what they do and Bloom doesn't want to take that gamble. There are lots of different ways of measuring and comparing football spend, not all of which reach the same conclusions. I have yet to see one that shows us paying significantly less in wages than our rivals.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Well again , its not about starting in the first team but about getting a chance. If he's in the squad, and starts coming on in games for any of those players, that wouldn't be a problem. And from there you decide if he's good enough to get a start or not. I'd argue that he's earned that chance, not a starting place. I understand that people might feel he still needs to develop and will do that with another season on loan. But as everyone keeps saying if he's good enough then he'll play, and he's not then he wont get a game, how will we know if we don't give the chance?

OK, but he is getting a chance. Right now. He's training every day with the first team squad, and had his chance to impress the manager. Hes played one match already and will play again tomorrow.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Huge fan here. While short term I'd like him here challenging Propper and Alzate to partner Bissouma at the base of our midfield triangle (have a sneaky feeling he might have won the battle in the second half of the season), I can see why it might be better for his development to play 40 games in the Champ again.

Just really, really, really need to make sure he's on a long enough deal.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Huge fan here. While short term I'd like him here challenging Propper and Alzate to partner Bissouma at the base of our midfield triangle (have a sneaky feeling he might have won the battle in the second half of the season), I can see why it might be better for his development to play 40 games in the Champ again.

Just really, really, really need to make sure he's on a long enough deal.
He's got 3 years on his current contract.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There is a collective madness around at the moment, so many things that are so clearly wrong, have suddenly become certain facts. Molumby told the press BEFORE the start of the season, I hope Brighton play me, but if I can't get regular football I would like to go back out on loan. Maybe the microphone cut out before he faded into an Irish mumble of "against my wishes"

I saw that article and it could be said that it was put quite bluntly that he wanted to play and if he couldn’t make the Albion first team he’d rather go out on loan again. This is a positive thing isn’t it, but seems to have been twisted into a negative by some Albion fans?

I must have missed the bit where he said he wanted a permanent transfer if he wasn’t a first team player at the Albion.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
At some point he is going to have to accept he isn’t playing every week and work hard to get into the team here.

Another champ loan isn’t going to mean he returns here next summer and is an immediate starter, in fact I’d say another season long loan at Millwall would leave him exactly where he is now (on the fringe of the first team squad)

At some point if he wants to make it here he is going to have to fight to get a place on the bench and then fight for a starting spot, I can’t understand why he would put that off another season when he has an opportunity to do that now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here