Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] We are no better than last season at this point FACT

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The numbers don't lie, how we have offered Potter a 6 year contract is beyond me. Shocking!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7730797/Here-Premier-League-getting-season.html

Brighton (NO CHANGE)

Last season: 12th, This season: 12th

Even with a change in management, Brighton are a model of consistency in the top flight that many of their rivals could learn from.

Mirroring their points total and position from 12 months ago, Graham Potter - who signed a new deal until 2025 on Tuesday - has built on the foundations laid by his predecessor Chris Hughton and the Seagulls have taken flight.

If we are splitting hairs, the key difference between then and now is that Potter's Brighton have scored one more goal (15) than the side that took to the field 12 months ago.

With trips to Liverpool and Arsenal to come, though, things could soon slip. If they are to keep pace with 2018-19, Potter's players need maximum returns from Anfield and the Emirates Stadium.

No pressure, then.​

Stop saying “we” you pathetic Palace / Hughton’s family troll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Definitely a Hughton family member

Then we need to give him/her some leeway imo. It must have felt a very harsh sacking to his family. I do actually get that :shrug:

But Jolly Red Giant can do one :smile:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You’d rather CH was still the manager wouldn’t you.???

I can just imagine you at games. We play 15 lovely one touch passes that end up with a shot and a blinding save that makes a lucky bounce to the opposition, who then run up the other end and score, putting your head in your hands and saying. “Wouldn’t have happened under CH” :lolol:

And you’d be right :wink:

LoL.....

Part of me would, but a larger part to be honest ,wouldn't........ because we are playing better football offensively.

But, I do find the contract award strange, and do feel that some of our supporters appear to be flattered by the good passing, but to me we still aren't generating lots of chances and are just lacking something........ I wonder if its because we actually don't have a decent target in the box, as everything appears static unless we are playing with good width.

I guess, my question would be is that do you think Potter is capable of playing a formation where we absorb pressure and break at pace, like Leicester did to us?
Did you prefer Poyet or Potter?

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
We should have finished much better last season than we did though. So it looks like we should get a better finish than 17th this time round. We are also playing much better than we did last season. We had a lot of close wins like Wolves at home and West Ham, which weren't really deserved. Overall I think we are better at this stage than last season, even though we have equal points.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Just as the point on scoring is as valid
[MENTION=11350]LamieRobertson[/MENTION] (sorry - burgered up the quotation)

Not in this context, because you have a point at 0-0.

All the time you leak goals, the onus is on the team to score at least two goals.
Not conceding is more important to me, as there is no guarantee that you will score two a game.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not in this context, because you have a point at 0-0.

All the time you leak goals, the onus is on the team to score at least two goals.
Not conceding is more important to me, as there is no guarantee that you will score two a game.

I was referring to the pint he originally made which was a result is based on not conceding...you are only ever going to get so far with that ...we are evolving from that stance I’m saying that in the context of the thread as a whole

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I was referring to the pint he originally made which was a result is based on not conceding...you are only ever going to get so far with that ...we are evolving from that stance I’m saying that in the context of the thread as a whole

Fair enough - but I don't agree, as you get somewhere, whereas you won't losing every game 2-3.

But appreciate that is not the stance that is being pushed.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Then we need to give him/her some leeway imo. It must have felt a very harsh sacking to his family. I do actually get that :shrug:

But Jolly Red Giant can do one :smile:

Well here's the post where, without using "we" for Brighton once, they accused Tony Blom of unconscious bias (i.e. racism). This is a pro-CH troll account. Perhaps they can prove to the contrary?

Have you heard of unconscious bias, look it up its not just football it happens at big firms too. CH should not have got sacked for what he has achieved at a minimum he should have been given ten games at the start of the next season. Chris has been made a scapegoat, the recruiting method is shocking which Chris has little say on. He cracked on with what he was given and met his goals.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
LoL.....

Part of me would, but a larger part to be honest ,wouldn't........ because we are playing better football offensively.

But, I do find the contract award strange, and do feel that some of our supporters appear to be flattered by the good passing, but to me we still aren't generating lots of chances and are just lacking something........ I wonder if its because we actually don't have a decent target in the box, as everything appears static unless we are playing with good width.

I guess, my question would be is that do you think Potter is capable of playing a formation where we absorb pressure and break at pace, like Leicester did to us?

GP for me. Poyet was brilliant but once in the Championship he shat himself in setting up against the better teams most games.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
GP for me. Poyet was brilliant but once in the Championship he shat himself in setting up against the better teams most games.

Yes, that's a fair point.

I loved Poyet's style of football as it was so progressive, and maybe it was the level we were at, but everything seemed so easy (other than Millwall and Barnsley). We seemed to tear teams apart.

I like to think Potter's Brighton would do the same at level, whereas I'm not sure Poyet would have adapted in the Prem, with more onus on survival.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This time last season we had three shockingly embarrassingly lucky 1-0 wins on the spin. This run masked a pretty poor first half of the season. This season we are mid-table on merit. Last season we were there on luck. This season getting to mid-table has been enjoyable. Last season it was dull and incredulous. I know which I prefer.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
This time last season we had three shockingly embarrassingly lucky 1-0 wins on the spin. This run masked a pretty poor first half of the season. This season we are mid-table on merit. Last season we were there on luck. This season getting to mid-table has been enjoyable. Last season it was dull and incredulous. I know which I prefer.

Incredulous? You didn’t mean to type that did you? :smile:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
LoL.....

Oh no doubt at all, we are a good striker away from being very very good

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here