Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] We are no better than last season at this point FACT

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
Just keep the damn faith will you. He's only just started, but has inherited a team that's not his as well. TB has a long term vision of top 10 established club, it's still early days.

"We want our celery, we want our celery" - Withdean J Block

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
The wins this season (excluding Everton) have been far more convincing fact...in addition I can’t recall matches this early in the season like we’ve had against West Ham, Burnley Newcastle Southampton where we deserved more ...the team/style has bags more potential and this is no discredit to CH

I disagree. I thought the Everton match was very entertaining too.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Everyone was laughing at us towards the end of last season due to our anti football attempts. TB didn’t invest £500m to be laughed at and rightly so he had had enough of Hughton. CH made exactly the same mistake at Norwich which was somewhat baffling He didn’t believe in his squads abilities and rightly got sacked.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We are no better than last season at this point FACT
Contrary to believe among the cerebrally challenged, adding fact to the end of a sentence doesn't actually make the preceding bollocks a fact. Even when it's in capitals.

Last season: 12th, This season: 12th
It wasn't the start to last season that was the problem.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Contrary to believe among the cerebrally challenged, adding fact to the end of a sentence doesn't actually make the preceding bollocks a fact. Even when it's in capitals..

This. And that's a FACT. :clap:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
There was definitely a case! But they should have given him the 1st half of the following season. The football is better but we spent loads too. Let's see where we end up at the end of the season, the 6 year contract given GP is premature!

There you go then, things look good, let’s revisit in a few months time. I have no problem with you being a CH fan but it’s irritating that you are trying to write off GP when he’s doing just as well as CH did and is new to the division too.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The OP is right the numbers don't lie.

Taking out Villa and Norwich games as we didn't play them last season, and just looking at the other 11 games and comparing them to last season we are 2 points better off.

We've scored 4 more goals (11 compared to 7) and let in 16, which is the same amount as last season (rather pours scorn on the argument we are worse defensively). Our average possession stat is up 12.2% across the games, and we've had an average of 0.72 shots on goal more per game (0.64 more shots on target).

It points to a big improvement given the time Potter has achieved it in.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I liked Houghton and it was a shame how it ended. But it is undeniable that while evolving and lowering the average age of the team Potter has also improved the style, found and is developing players that we will be able to resell at a profit at some point as is also providing entertaining football too. We are at the beginning of a new journey and already we are at the level we were at last season. Could it go wrong? Sure, but at this point the balance of probability is that we will finish the season ahead of where we were last year with a young improving team.

Chris did a decent job and deserves the ovation he will undoubtedly get when he returns to the Amex regardless of who he comes with (Bar Palace) but time moves on and all managers have a shelf life and it was time for a change...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
There was definitely a case! But they should have given him the 1st half of the following season. The football is better but we spent loads too. Let's see where we end up at the end of the season, the 6 year contract given GP is premature!

Did we spend loads? Obviously, Webster, Trossard and Maupay, but arguably Webster wasn't really necessary, though shows promise.

In reality it is no different to AJ, Locadia and Izquierdo, but only one of those has looked capable of adapting to the premier league.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We've scored 4 more goals (11 compared to 7) and let in 16, which is the same amount as last season (rather pours scorn on the argument we are worse defensively). Our average possession stat is up 12.2% across the games, and we've had an average of 0.72 shots on goal more per game (0.64 more shots on target).

But it's how you let them in and we've conceded some exceptionally poor ones.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would agree that the football is more pleasing to the eye but it is all about results and the stats do not lie we havent amassed more points than this time last year and I must admit to being concern ed about the ease with which we concede goals and feel that we need to work on our defence. Results are based on how few goals we concede.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I would agree that the football is more pleasing to the eye but it is all about results and the stats do not lie we havent amassed more points than this time last year and I must admit to being concern ed about the ease with which we concede goals and feel that we need to work on our defence. Results are based on how few goals we concede.

Same number as last year.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
But it's how you let them in and we've conceded some exceptionally poor ones.

True, but we did let in some poor goals last season (think games like Burnley and Bournemouth at home) and it stands to reason that a more attacking setup will lead to us being more exposed at the back, most people accepted this it was the biggest risk of our new setup at the start of the season.

I've just had a quick look at the stats on the 11 games for shots against and we are actually slightly better this season conceding an average of 10.45 shots per game compared to 11.1 last season, however we are actually seeing more shots on target against us this season 5.45 compared to 4.8 last season. So the defence is proving to be fairly consistent, i guess because of the way we are playing we are seeing less of those last ditch Dunk and Duffy style blocks etc which were headline grabbing in our first couple of seasons.

Results are based on how few goals we concede.

Results are also based on how many you score, you can't win a game if you don't score.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Probably already written, but the only game out of our 4 wins where we looked good value for it was the 3-2 against Man Utd. Different story this year.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
True, but we did let in some poor goals last season (think games like Burnley and Bournemouth at home) and it stands to reason that a more attacking setup will lead to us being more exposed at the back, most people accepted this it was the biggest risk of our new setup at the start of the season.

I've just had a quick look at the stats on the 11 games for shots against and we are actually slightly better this season conceding an average of 10.45 shots per game compared to 11.1 last season, however we are actually seeing more shots on target against us this season 5.45 compared to 4.8 last season. So the defence is proving to be fairly consistent, i guess because of the way we are playing we are seeing less of those last ditch Dunk and Duffy style blocks etc which were headline grabbing in our.

I actually think a better comparison is against the same opponents rather than the number of games.

That’s not to say an opponent doesn’t improve or deteriorate, but it is a closer comparison, as for example we are hitting a hard period.

Alternatively at the halfway stage, a comparison would be more accurate, but as you highlight we conceded some sloppy ones in those last few months. However, we hadn’t done prior to Christmas.....

I felt we were harder to beat last season, but as you say we are more open because we are more offensive, but I would suggest look more likely to score.....

Thanks for looking up the stats [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I actually think a better comparison is against the same opponents rather than the number of games.

That’s not to say an opponent doesn’t improve or deteriorate, but it is a closer comparison, as for example we are hitting a hard period.

Alternatively at the halfway stage, a comparison would be more accurate, but as you highlight we conceded some sloppy ones in those last few months. However, we hadn’t done prior to Christmas.....

I felt we were harder to beat last season, but as you say we are more open because we are more offensive, but I would suggest look more likely to score.....

You’d rather CH was still the manager wouldn’t you.???

I can just imagine you at games. We play 15 lovely one touch passes that end up with a shot and a blinding save that makes a lucky bounce to the opposition, who then run up the other end and score, putting your head in your hands and saying. “Wouldn’t have happened under CH” :lolol:

And you’d be right :wink:

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003

The stats I've posted are against the same opponents, hence only 11 games as we didn't play Villa or Norwich last season.

But you have at least a point if you don’t concede

No-one wants to sit through 38 nil-nil draws. :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here