[Football] We are no better than last season at this point FACT

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Well yes, plus Trossard, Mooy, Webster, Maupay, Alzate and Connolly...........

How would CH have got on with those six (or other additions that he might have preferred) added to the squad? I don't know - and neither do you. Anyone who comes on NSC claiming they do know is, frankly, a ****wit.

It's not a binary thing. Many of us think CH was a great manager for Brighton, although things certainly went badly wrong in the final half season. Perhaps he could have turned things round after a good summer window - or maybe he wouldn't have; who knows? There was certainly enough evidence in the previous four years to show that he could get teams playing sparkling, exciting football...........
So, Chris was great - we are/were CH fans; Potter is now doing well, and has got us playing more exciting football than we saw in the last half of last season - so, we're Potter fans too. Get it? We appreciate what CH did and what Potter is doing - it's not a binary choice -and the only ****wits are the ones who try and pretend it is.

Actually, believe it or not, I am a big CH fan but, unlike the ****wits, I recognise he had to go. Sorry, but it is much more complicated than binary.

Oh, and Chris would not have given SA or AC a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
and the six you name are among the 11 players with the most PL appearances this season for Brighton - on top of that Trossard, Webster and Maupay all cost more than any player Hughton signed in the previous two seasons and Mooy would also have cost a similar amount if he was to be purchased.

Potter had an option of keeping Andone - instead he sent him on loan to Galatasary where he has played 6 out of 29 games.
Potter could have kept Hemed - instead he was released and is playing at Charlton - where he has played 5 games
He could have also kept Kayal - he is on loan at Charlton - and has played 6 games
Knockaert - well he was sent on loan to Fulham where he has played 11 out of 23 games
Locadia is now on loan at Hoffenheim - where he has played 6 out of 19 games.

To suggest that the five players you mention were on a par with what is now in the squad is daft - and the evidence is that 3 are playing in the Championship (and not playing that often) while the other two are in weaker leagues than the PL - and playing few games.

On Murray 'firing' - I would suggest that this is down to two factors - Potter is playing a style of football that doesn't play to Murray's strengths - and - he has started all of 3 PL games this season. If you want Murray to score he needs to play and you have to play to his strengths

As for Hughton overlooking Alzate and Connolly - they were both out injured for months - they couldn't have played irrespective of whether Hughton wanted to play them or not - and when Connolly did recover in April he couldn't get into a League One team.

Izquierdo was missing most of last season as well - Gross missed 18 games. Injuries are part of the game - you deal with them as best you can.

Is Potter's team playing a more entertaining style of football - absolutely - is he doing it with the same squad that Hughton did last year - well somewhat - except for the three record transfer signings, a high profile loan signing and two kids who have come through after long-term injuries. This team has a lot more pace than what Hughton had to work with.

What Potter hasn't achieved yet is guaranteeing another season in the PL - although this team looks capable of doing that. His team is also a bit more shaky at the back than last season and despite all the adventurous and entertaining play they still lack a killer instinct that they will need. It has been entertaining and hopefully the rest comes together over time.

This I agree with

If you agree, then stop your ongoing and ludicrous defence of Chris.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Actually, believe it or not, I am a big CH fan but, unlike the ****wits, I recognise he had to go. Sorry, but it is much more complicated than binary.
Yes, I said it was not a binary choice. Twice. :shrug:

Oh, and Chris would not have given SA or AC a chance.
Yes, I also said that I suspected CH would have been unlikely to put Connolly and Alzate into the first team - an opinion. I wouldn't have stated it as a fact, because I don't know it for a fact - neither does anyone else.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Never! CH deserved much better. At least better communication from the top. No one deserves to be sacked who isn't expecting it (except Trump).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
IMHO taking sides in CH v GP is as meaningless as taking sides in DK v TB

Wrong. Not taking CH's side in what was a "removal of the medal", "dishonourable discharge", "demotion to unemployment" is so deplorable. It is truly inept. There should be an Albion Hall of Honour and CH should be the first entry.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
If he wasn't expecing it he was a fool and I don't belive he was ever that.

Anyway, I started replying on this thread and it ended up too long so I rewrote parts and turned it in to an article.

https://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?832-Patience-is-Needed-with-Potter-s-work-in-Progress

This has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads. It was between CH & TB and it was obvious that CH is reserved and when he reacted in the way he did there had not been the proper communication between the 2 involved.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Yes, I also said that I suspected CH would have been unlikely to put Connolly and Alzate into the first team - an opinion. I wouldn't have stated it as a fact, because I don't know it for a fact - neither does anyone else.

Wrong opinion. There is evidence that waiting longer with Alzate & Connolly might have produced more goals because they could have learned from CH's calm demeaner to get much less excited and been more cool as Murray,

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

You then went on to qualify that statement...

Chris lack of giving VIRTUALLY ANY young players ANY CHANCE says it is almost certain (yes, not certain) that neither AC not SA would have got a sniff.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
No chance of napping while we are on the tellybox now!Proper rollercoaster ride.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Wrong opinion. There is evidence that waiting longer with Alzate & Connolly might have produced more goals because they could have learned from CH's calm demeaner to get much less excited and been more cool as Murray,

It's a perfectly valid opinion. And there is no 'evidence', just your opinion.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Never! CH deserved much better. At least better communication from the top. No one deserves to be sacked who isn't expecting it (except Trump).

Tony deserves more respect than you are giving him. Keep kidding yourself. 3 in 23 is appalling. The performances were appalling. He correctly was shown the exit door.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
This has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads. It was between CH & TB and it was obvious that CH is reserved and when he reacted in the way he did there had not been the proper communication between the 2 involved.

So you think Chris really had no clue he faced the axe!? Wow! With his record in his final half a season he must be a moron, which he isn’t... he said it in the press to make him look better, and you swallowed it hook, line and sinker!! Wow!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

If you think that Hughton didn't expect the sack after Cardiff at home, when many pundits and plenty of folk on this board expected him to go, then, again, you are accusing him of being not as clever as a random bunch of fans on the internet. Again. I think that's insulting to CH.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
If you think that Hughton didn't expect the sack after Cardiff at home, when many pundits and plenty of folk on this board expected him to go, then, again, you are accusing him of being not as clever as a random bunch of fans on the internet. Again. I think that's insulting to CH.

I walked out of the ground that night wanting him gone, there and then. There had been no reaction from the Bournemouth humiliation. The players had stopped playing for him. It was embarrassing. We had collapsed completely, after weeks of steady decline. TB showed loyalty above and beyond the norm. At most other clubs he would have gone ( at the very latest ) after 0-5 to Bournemouth.
CH would have had no surprise at being relieved of his duties around this time. The surprise was being allowed to carry on and because he then got us over the finishing line, his hopes of a longer stay would have risen and hence his ultimate surprise at being sacked. TB appears to have decided that he would keep CH to the end of the season, whatever. Staying up and CH was gone. The change of direction had been decided. Going down and TB had flexibility. He could keep the man who has proven his ability to get teams promoted or he could make his change, irrespective.
I can only imagine that some of those still pining for CH, didn't experience the slow lingering death of most away games. Reactive changes, when the team finally and inevitably went two down. Like for like changes. Late changes. A type of damage limitation football rather than a more ambitious attitude. The predictable interviews ' bigging up ' the opposition. You have to take chances and gamble. It doesn't always come off but it is a more pleasurable ride for the fans and that is what the Potter experience is giving us. I hope he can keep us up and start re-shaping the engine room of our side, the midfield, to better suit our style of play.

Chris lack of giving VIRTUALLY ANY young players ANY CHANCE says it is almost certain (yes, not certain) that neither AC not SA would have got a sniff.

Solly March :shrug:

Signed the 21 year old Bissouma and played him more regularly than this season

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Wasn't agreeing with you - and I wasn't the one who dug up a weeks old thread and started this nonsense off again.

Of course Hughton would have recognised that the results weren't good enough - if Brighton had been relegated then he wouldn't have needed to be sacked - he would have resigned on the spot. However, he kept Brighton in the PL very much against the odds - and there is every indication that Hughton was already in discussions with the club's hierarchy about plans for the coming season. If Bloom intended to sack Hughton all along then I would argue (and have argued) that the club's hierarchy should not have led him along in that fashion - they could have said simply that they wanted to postpone any such discussions until after the end of the season. Fans were screaming for Hughton's head for weeks - generally club owners do not panic in response to fans mood swings. Brighton drew three of the last five games and scored more and conceded less goals than Cardiff. Should Hughton have been aware that he could be sacked? - I suspect that he was - but Brighton were safe from relegation with two games (and 7 days) to go - and crucially talks had already begun about the following season, which would have led Hughton to believe that he would be given another shot at bringing the club forward. Neither of us have any real knowledge of the dynamic that existed in the club - but the indications are that there was always and open and honest relationship between Bloom and Hughton right up until practically the very end.

And while we may continue to debate this stuff I suspect that both Bloom and Hughton have moved on - probably about time everyone on here does so as well.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I walked out of the ground that night wanting him gone, there and then. There had been no reaction from the Bournemouth humiliation. The players had stopped playing for him. It was embarrassing. We had collapsed completely, after weeks of steady decline. TB showed loyalty above and beyond the norm. At most other clubs he would have gone ( at the very latest ) after 0-5 to Bournemouth.
CH would have had no surprise at being relieved of his duties around this time. The surprise was being allowed to carry on and because he then got us over the finishing line, his hopes of a longer stay would have risen and hence his ultimate surprise at being sacked. TB appears to have decided that he would keep CH to the end of the season, whatever. Staying up and CH was gone. The change of direction had been decided. Going down and TB had flexibility. He could keep the man who has proven his ability to get teams promoted or he could make his change, irrespective.
I can only imagine that some of those still pining for CH, didn't experience the slow lingering death of most away games. Reactive changes, when the team finally and inevitably went two down. Like for like changes. Late changes. A type of damage limitation football rather than a more ambitious attitude. The predictable interviews ' bigging up ' the opposition. You have to take chances and gamble. It doesn't always come off but it is a more pleasurable ride for the fans and that is what the Potter experience is giving us. I hope he can keep us up and start re-shaping the engine room of our side, the midfield, to better suit our style of play.

If Hughton had been sacked after the Bournemouth or Cardiff games then it is very likely Birghton would have been relegated. Hughton had been through this before and knew what was needed to keep the club in the PL - something that he succeeded in doing. Bloom deserves credit for not panicking like so many other owners in a similar situation - what happened at the end of the season is a different debate. People are enjoying the football that Brighton are playing now - and hopefully that will bring success - but that should not degrade what Hughton achieved as manager in getting Brighton promoted and keeping the club in the PL for two seasons on a shoestring.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports