Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] We are no better than last season at this point FACT

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Solly March :shrug:

Signed the 21 year old Bissouma and played him more regularly than this season

March played about half of the 13/14 season so has 5 years of Championship or higher football and is 24 (25 now ?) so he was hardly a kid being chucked into things - Alzate is 21 and Connolly 19
Bissouma was played so much in part due to injuries - Gross missed a load of games last season, Kayal was seemingly unfit for most of it, Propper had a couple of spells out too I think.........

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think CH’s surprise (echoed by his union and the busybody Troy Townsend), would’ve come from having held normal discussions right to the end with Bloom, Winstanley and Barber, regarding planning for next season. Being a positive person, he would’ve seen securing PL football on a bottom 4 budget as relative success.

They would not have let their plans be known, and CH didn’t have the look of a dead man walking (Marko Silva and Unai Emery).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Should Hughton have been aware that he could be sacked? - I suspect that he was - but Brighton were safe from relegation with two games (and 7 days) to go - and crucially talks had already begun about the following season, which would have led Hughton to believe that he would be given another shot at bringing the club forward. Neither of us have any real knowledge of the dynamic that existed in the club - but the indications are that there was always and open and honest relationship between Bloom and Hughton right up until practically the very end.

My reading of it was also that it was open and honest up to a point. However, you are hardly likely to let on that you might sack a manager to his face until you are absolutely sure. I also have good reason to believe that Dan Ashworth would have been involved in the firing and hiring decision. His arrival cannot have gone unnoticed by Hughton and he hardly gave CH a ringing endorsement when he arrived. That's really all I was trying to get over to the other guy - that any suggestion of total surprise on Hughton's behalf paints him as naive, and he isn't.

And while we may continue to debate this stuff I suspect that both Bloom and Hughton have moved on - probably about time everyone on here does so as well.

Yep, certainly agree with that.

March played about half of the 13/14 season so has 5 years of Championship or higher football and is 24 (25 now ?) so he was hardly a kid being chucked into things - Alzate is 21 and Connolly 19
Bissouma was played so much in part due to injuries - Gross missed a load of games last season, Kayal was seemingly unfit for most of it, Propper had a couple of spells out too I think.........

Come on, aren't you embarrassed by this Hughton evil Potter godlike narrative, it's for the kids

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Come on, aren't you embarrassed by this Hughton evil Potter godlike narrative, it's for the kids

It's getting tiresome......think we all need to move on (seems like it's mostly non-fans winding everyone up anyway). I'm not in the Hughton evil camp anyway......he'll always be a legend for what he did...........but suggesting he gave 'young' Solly March a 'chance' as a comparison with Connolly and Alzate ? That's a bit embarrassing :smile:

It's getting tiresome......think we all need to move on (seems like it's mostly non-fans winding everyone up anyway). I'm not in the Hughton evil camp anyway......he'll always be a legend for what he did...........but suggesting he gave 'young' Solly March a 'chance' as a comparison with Connolly and Alzate ? That's a bit embarrassing :smile:

And you were doing so well there! :smile:

There was as much pressure getting us up to the Prem as staying there, you can't erase Hughton blooding the young March in the Championship so well, it smacks of an agenda which doesn't really help explain our football

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Solly March :shrug:

Signed the 21 year old Bissouma and played him more regularly than this season

Oh dear. Says it all. Is that the best you can do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Wasn't agreeing with you - and I wasn't the one who dug up a weeks old thread and started this nonsense off again.

Of course Hughton would have recognised that the results weren't good enough - if Brighton had been relegated then he wouldn't have needed to be sacked - he would have resigned on the spot. However, he kept Brighton in the PL very much against the odds - and there is every indication that Hughton was already in discussions with the club's hierarchy about plans for the coming season. If Bloom intended to sack Hughton all along then I would argue (and have argued) that the club's hierarchy should not have led him along in that fashion - they could have said simply that they wanted to postpone any such discussions until after the end of the season. Fans were screaming for Hughton's head for weeks - generally club owners do not panic in response to fans mood swings. Brighton drew three of the last five games and scored more and conceded less goals than Cardiff. Should Hughton have been aware that he could be sacked? - I suspect that he was - but Brighton were safe from relegation with two games (and 7 days) to go - and crucially talks had already begun about the following season, which would have led Hughton to believe that he would be given another shot at bringing the club forward. Neither of us have any real knowledge of the dynamic that existed in the club - but the indications are that there was always and open and honest relationship between Bloom and Hughton right up until practically the very end.

And while we may continue to debate this stuff I suspect that both Bloom and Hughton have moved on - probably about time everyone on here does so as well.

More conjecture. More misuse of stats. More BS.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
If Hughton had been sacked after the Bournemouth or Cardiff games then it is very likely Birghton would have been relegated. Hughton had been through this before and knew what was needed to keep the club in the PL - something that he succeeded in doing. Bloom deserves credit for not panicking like so many other owners in a similar situation - what happened at the end of the season is a different debate. People are enjoying the football that Brighton are playing now - and hopefully that will bring success - but that should not degrade what Hughton achieved as manager in getting Brighton promoted and keeping the club in the PL for two seasons on a shoestring.

The last bit is a joke. Chris was backed in much the same way Potter had been. You keep pointing out that we spent more on individual players and in total this summer. Player price inflation is a fact of life in the Prem. I have news for you. We will keep spending more and more every window we stay in the Prem. Chris did well to keep us up but it certainly wasn’t the massive achievement you are suggesting.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
And you were doing so well there! :smile:

There was as much pressure getting us up to the Prem as staying there, you can't erase Hughton blooding the young March in the Championship so well, it smacks of an agenda which doesn't really help explain our football

What on earth are you talking about? Solly March had become an established first team member in 2013-14 under Oscar Garcia, making 24 appearances during the regular league season and play-offs.

I walked out of the ground that night wanting him gone, there and then. There had been no reaction from the Bournemouth humiliation. The players had stopped playing for him. It was embarrassing. We had collapsed completely, after weeks of steady decline. TB showed loyalty above and beyond the norm. At most other clubs he would have gone ( at the very latest ) after 0-5 to Bournemouth.
CH would have had no surprise at being relieved of his duties around this time. The surprise was being allowed to carry on and because he then got us over the finishing line, his hopes of a longer stay would have risen and hence his ultimate surprise at being sacked. TB appears to have decided that he would keep CH to the end of the season, whatever. Staying up and CH was gone. The change of direction had been decided. Going down and TB had flexibility. He could keep the man who has proven his ability to get teams promoted or he could make his change, irrespective.
I can only imagine that some of those still pining for CH, didn't experience the slow lingering death of most away games. Reactive changes, when the team finally and inevitably went two down. Like for like changes. Late changes. A type of damage limitation football rather than a more ambitious attitude. The predictable interviews ' bigging up ' the opposition. You have to take chances and gamble. It doesn't always come off but it is a more pleasurable ride for the fans and that is what the Potter experience is giving us. I hope he can keep us up and start re-shaping the engine room of our side, the midfield, to better suit our style of play.
Spot on

Just think right now compared to last season. Right now media pundits managers even most opposition supporters enjoy watching Brighton play. Yes we still get beat yes we could end up fighting for premier league survival although I don't think we will come later in season. Tony Bloom is a fan and he like most of us hated the 2nd half of last season saw awful boring negative football that in all honesty was the worst of any team even the 1s that were relegated. He knew we survived by skin of our teeth by others particularly the fact that Cardiff had a mare against palace in their penultimate game. Tony knew that time was up for Chris before then. He knew that nothing would change even into this season the style would of in all probability would of stayed the same and he decided to gamble and make the change. So far the change has been right on many counts particular in terms of better football being able to compete against any team be it liverpool or villa. Apart from say Chelsea and Sheffield Utd we have been positive and been in all other games having a chance of getting a result. That is much much different to last season when we would defend for our lives and hope to nick 1.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What on earth are you talking about? Solly March had become an established first team member in 2013-14 under Oscar Garcia, making 24 appearances during the regular league season and play-offs.

That’s why I said it was a bit embarrassing [emoji23][emoji23]

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Wasn't agreeing with you - and I wasn't the one who dug up a weeks old thread and started this nonsense off again.

Of course Hughton would have recognised that the results weren't good enough - if Brighton had been relegated then he wouldn't have needed to be sacked - he would have resigned on the spot. However, he kept Brighton in the PL very much against the odds - and there is every indication that Hughton was already in discussions with the club's hierarchy about plans for the coming season. If Bloom intended to sack Hughton all along then I would argue (and have argued) that the club's hierarchy should not have led him along in that fashion - they could have said simply that they wanted to postpone any such discussions until after the end of the season. Fans were screaming for Hughton's head for weeks - generally club owners do not panic in response to fans mood swings. Brighton drew three of the last five games and scored more and conceded less goals than Cardiff. Should Hughton have been aware that he could be sacked? - I suspect that he was - but Brighton were safe from relegation with two games (and 7 days) to go - and crucially talks had already begun about the following season, which would have led Hughton to believe that he would be given another shot at bringing the club forward. Neither of us have any real knowledge of the dynamic that existed in the club - but the indications are that there was always and open and honest relationship between Bloom and Hughton right up until practically the very end.

Is it about time you moved on?

To another board perhaps?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
So you think Chris really had no clue he faced the axe!? Wow! With his record in his final half a season he must be a moron, which he isn’t... he said it in the press to make him look better, and you swallowed it hook, line and sinker!! Wow!

That's bullshite and you know it. Chris Hughton was a straight shooter and NEVER made things up to make himself look better. What utter hogwash to accuse CH of doing.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Only 2 points down on this time last season now, not doing better yet but I really hope we will be within a few games :thumbsup:

The football, however, is much much better, surely the detractors can now accept that? If not they never will :shrug:

I do get the impression that there are a number of posters who much prefer an organised defence over a decent spectacle and being entertained though. Each to their own.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Only 2 points down on this time last season now, not doing better yet but I really hope we will be within a few games :thumbsup:

The football, however is much much better, surely the detractors can now accept that? If not they never will :shrug:

Yesterday was a big result - showed that the team can bounce back from a couple of poor performances - and other results helped as well.

This side looks good enough to avoid a mad scramble for points at the end of the season but there are still likely to be a few twists and turns along the way. Things are a lot tighter than last season and a couple of bad results can land a team in trouble (like Aston Villa who now seem to be heading the wrong direction- and Bournemouth who have lost 7 of the last 9 - if they don't pick up a lot of points from WHU, Watford and Norwich over the next 3 games then they are in big trouble).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I walked out of the ground that night wanting him gone, there and then. There had been no reaction from the Bournemouth humiliation. The players had stopped playing for him. It was embarrassing. We had collapsed completely, after weeks of steady decline. TB showed loyalty above and beyond the norm. At most other clubs he would have gone ( at the very latest ) after 0-5 to Bournemouth.
CH would have had no surprise at being relieved of his duties around this time. The surprise was being allowed to carry on and because he then got us over the finishing line, his hopes of a longer stay would have risen and hence his ultimate surprise at being sacked. TB appears to have decided that he would keep CH to the end of the season, whatever. Staying up and CH was gone. The change of direction had been decided. Going down and TB had flexibility. He could keep the man who has proven his ability to get teams promoted or he could make his change, irrespective.
I can only imagine that some of those still pining for CH, didn't experience the slow lingering death of most away games. Reactive changes, when the team finally and inevitably went two down. Like for like changes. Late changes. A type of damage limitation football rather than a more ambitious attitude. The predictable interviews ' bigging up ' the opposition. You have to take chances and gamble. It doesn't always come off but it is a more pleasurable ride for the fans and that is what the Potter experience is giving us. I hope he can keep us up and start re-shaping the engine room of our side, the midfield, to better suit our style of play.

Seems fair enough...although I would add that Potter has on more than one occasion praised CH for the base that GP has been able to build on and I’m sure we all won’t forget that

That's bullshite and you know it. Chris Hughton was a straight shooter and NEVER made things up to make himself look better. What utter hogwash to accuse CH of doing.

The anti Hughton mob on here are the worst posters on NSC, pretty much an iron law

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here