[Football] Which three teams will be relegated this season

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Brighton
Watford
Narwich ( bottom )

With your tough run of games coming up it will be a reality check . Potter wont have experience to fall back on and you could end up on a slippery slope .

Yawn

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Are people saying Palace because it’s Palace , or do they really think that ?

Palace have played 4 of the top 6 and have played Spurs, West Ham, Man U, Everton from the bottom half and are level
On points with Brighton... I think it’s there best start to the premier league and they haven’t played any side that was in the bottom half last season yet.

Palace aren't in any danger. They can't score goals at home because they don't have the personnel to open packed defences but they'll get more than enough points on the road, and score lots of goals from penalties.

I'm hoping Southampton go down and here there's a genuine chance because their central defenders are individually so poor. Yoshida, Vestergaard, Stephens, Bednarek - are there four worse defenders anywhere in the top division now that Damien Delaney has given up and become a dustman, or something more suited to his abilities? That doesn't cost them so much away from home, where the team gets lots of players behind the ball, but they get badly exposed in home matches where the onus is on them to attack. They haven't won at home since April as a result.

That may improve in the next few games, as they have those noted road warriors Everton, Watford, Norwich and West Ham coming up at St Mary's, but if decent results in those games paper over the cracks and they don't buy in January as a result, they could be in dire trouble.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Are people saying Palace because it’s Palace , or do they really think that ?

Palace have played 4 of the top 6 and have played Spurs, West Ham, Man U, Everton from the bottom half and are level
On points with Brighton... I think it’s there best start to the premier league and they haven’t played any side that was in the bottom half last season yet.

But they have played all 3 promoted teams., 2 at home.

There are decent reasons to think their current position is not reflective of their performances. ( Lack of goals, Missed penalty by Utd, dodgy Var decision against Villa, Favourable VAR decisions against Arsenal)

But...... Palace will stay up. Unfortunately.

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I really think that this is not something that should be discounted. Teams that are regularly in the relegation zone know what they have to do to get out of it. You say this and then choose Burnley to be relegated - they're a team that certainly knows how to battle. I can't see it.

I said Everton and West Ham: the latter have been mid-table for a few season now and Everton haven't been relegation fodder for donkeys' years. There have been plenty of teams over the years who have been "too good to go down". I may be sticking my neck out to say these two but I'm convinced that at least one of the relegated teams will one that's not currently in the bottom four.

I chose Burnley because they are a team that is built on organisation and hard work. A team greater than the sum of its parts. Similar to us under Hughton and Pulis's Stoke and West Brom teams. There comes a time when the standards slip, not by much but by enough. And when they do they're in trouble. There isn't a player in their team who you can look to to carry them if things aren't going well. When the team breaks down all your left with is the constituent parts which aren't that impressive. What follows is relegation.

Sooner or later, for whatever reason, Burnley will break down. And when they do, they'll get relegated. Dyche has been there for seven or eight years now(i think...) so to my mind the break down is coming sooner rather than later. So why not this year? I don't actually have them as favourites for the bottom three but I wouldn't be surprised to see them there come the end of the season.

I think both Everton and West Ham have enough individual quality to keep them out of the relegation zone. They might be mostly rubbish but they both possess individuals who can win games on their own. Ultimately that should be enough to keep them up. If it isn't, oh well!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I chose Burnley because they are a team that is built on organisation and hard work. A team greater than the sum of its parts. Similar to us under Hughton and Pulis's Stoke and West Brom teams.

I see Dyche's Burnley on par with Pulis's Stoke and BFS's Bolton teams - comfortably mid-table but as soon as the manager leaves, there's trouble.

You're right that Burnley haven't got outstanding players but Dyche will terrify them enough to keep fighting. Yes, Everton and West Ham have got talented players but I'm really not convinced that they have the players or the managers to scrap it out.

I remember West Ham getting relegated when they had Carrick, Joe Cole, Di Canio, David James, Trevor Sinclair, Defoe, Don Hutchison and Winterburn playing for them - I bet they thought they had enough talented players to stay up.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm hoping Southampton go down and here there's a genuine chance because their central defenders are individually so poor. Yoshida, Vestergaard, Stephens, Bednarek - are there four worse defenders anywhere in the top division now that Damien Delaney has given up and become a dustman, or something more suited to his abilities? That doesn't cost them so much away from home, where the team gets lots of players behind the ball, but they get badly exposed in home matches where the onus is on them to attack. They haven't won at home since April as a result.

They really are a terrible set of centre backs. Literally, we have four centre backs in our current squad, better than their best one. It is an astonishing recruitment failure on their part, and one that as a (local) seasoned Saints watcher, I had personally flagged up to Saints fan mates a couple of years ago.

A little further amusement, is that Saints released from their academy, two of the brightest centre back prospects in the country, in Tyrone Mings (too small!) and Ben White (not good enough).

Shame

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Brighton
Watford
Narwich ( bottom )

With your tough run of games coming up it will be a reality check . Potter won’t have experience to fall back on and you could end up on a slippery slope .

Good job we have to play you soon to keep our points ticking over.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I always consider goal difference to be a huge indicator of someone's likely final positions. Watford -17, Southampton -17, Norwich -15, are all quite different from the next set of Newcastle -8, Everton -6, Burnley -4, Crystal Palace -4. Obviously freak results can impact this and so can a fixture against Man City or Liverpool but in 2 matches time we will be more than a third of the way through the season and habits are bad to break especially when your habit is conceading sloppy goals and individuals making mistakes. interestingly the bottom 4 all seem to play against each other over the next month so we may well see some closing the gap and others being left behind

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Brighton
Watford
Narwich ( bottom )

With your tough run of games coming up it will be a reality check . Potter won’t have experience to fall back on and you could end up on a slippery slope .

Whereas your manager has nothing but experience. Decades of it in fact. Shame that’s all he has, I’d much rather a young forward thinking progressive manger like ours than an over-experienced old dinosaur like yours.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Whereas your manager has nothing but experience. Decades of it in fact. Shame that’s all he has, I’d much rather a young forward thinking progressive manger like ours than an over-experienced old dinosaur like yours.

To be fair to War Ammer Woy, he took over with them rooted firmly to the bottom of the league, and got them 11th and 12th place finishes, steering well clear of relegation under his stewardship picking up 29 wins over 2 seasons effectively. He's hardly spent any money either. Not bad for a dinosaur.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012

Give me an experienced manager any day of the week.
When you have a run of bad results, and you will, will Potter have the minerals to deal with it ?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Looking at the logical candidates, I think you can immediately discount Palace (unfortunately) and Sheffield Utd. Both are far too well organised, and, in Sheffield United’s case, play good attacking football. I would also discount Villa, who are beginning to gel, and have a decent manager. Bournemouth will possibly flirt with the lower reaches of mid-table, but will be ok. Burnley seem more vulnerable this season, and could easily end up around 15th/16th.

Taking the “surprise” under-performers, I’d love to see Everton go down, but their squad is good and they will almost certainly change manager in December if things still look dodgy, plus spend big in the transfer window. West Ham are difficult to call - but they almost certainly have too much quality to be serious relegation candidates.

So, if you discount the Albion, this leaves 3 from 4....Norwich looked really poor against us - virtually no threat up front, and too many defensive mistakes. They would be my favourites for 20th. Southampton are also extremely average - even if they change manager. I reckon they are in real danger. Watford have been poor for virtually the whole of 2019....not sure why this will change.
And the fourth in this bunch is Newcastle - they don’t create much, and have a pretty average manager who will likely NOT get the sack.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Give me an experienced manager any day of the week.
When you have a run of bad results, and you will, will Potter have the minerals to deal with it ?

Good question.......but he’s shown a fair pair so far though in binning off two strikers and one of our best players over the last few seasons, and chucking ‘kids’ into the team whilst completely changing the team’s approach.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Funny thing both Hogdson & Potter revolutionised Swedish football in two complete opposite directions.

I respect both though. Saying Hodgson "only got experience" is bullshit though, he has performed great in a lot of jobs and his teams are always difficult to beat even if they generally play boring football and draw a lot.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Looking at the logical candidates, I think you can immediately discount Palace (unfortunately) and Sheffield Utd. Both are far too well organised, and, in Sheffield United’s case, play good attacking football. I would also discount Villa, who are beginning to gel, and have a decent manager. Bournemouth will possibly flirt with the lower reaches of mid-table, but will be ok. Burnley seem more vulnerable this season, and could easily end up around 15th/16th.

Taking the “surprise” under-performers, I’d love to see Everton go down, but their squad is good and they will almost certainly change manager in December if things still look dodgy, plus spend big in the transfer window. West Ham are difficult to call - but they almost certainly have too much quality to be serious relegation candidates.

So, if you discount the Albion, this leaves 3 from 4....Norwich looked really poor against us - virtually no threat up front, and too many defensive mistakes. They would be my favourites for 20th. Southampton are also extremely average - even if they change manager. I reckon they are in real danger. Watford have been poor for virtually the whole of 2019....not sure why this will change.
And the fourth in this bunch is Newcastle - they don’t create much, and have a pretty average manager who will likely NOT get the sack.

Little to dispute here

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
There is always one team that drops like a stone in the second half of the season. Usually resulting in relegation. Last year that was us :blush:. This year hopefully it is Palace. The other two Norwich and Southampton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here