Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Dead Man falls from sky in Clapham...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What's with the new avatar, quite a radical change :shrug:

Felt like a departure. The new one is from a photo I took of some rather old 'artwork' on a secluded bit of chalk cliff somewhere down here in the ultra south east corner. I wanted a better picture of HWT but can't find one. Despite being one of my heros, the lad wasn't exactly photogenic :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
From the article I read:

“He had all his clothes on and everything. I had a closer look and saw there was blood all over the walls of the garden … I realised immediately that he had fallen."

Perhaps I was right after all.

impact.jpg

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Firstly, no I didn't see him fall from the sky.

I'm right under the flight path and they come over low. I've got a bit addicted to my flight app and Sunday was doing the usual in the my garden and saw this one fly over as well, as well as a few others on the way to Heathrow.

A bit later I hear the Police helicopter but couldn't see it. I was expecting it to come down 'cos I live next door to a designated landing spot.

Anyway, went outside and see it's very low over Clapham High Street about a mile away but making at absolute racket because it was so stationary.

Anyway - forget all about it, until I saw the story on BBC News much later.

Poor sod.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Strikes me that obtuse is an odd word to substitute for stowaway, regardless of magnitude of the situation.

Trust me, it’s absolutely perfect given the context :smile:

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
No drama. There's plenty of distasteful posts on this thread that honestly didn't need to be made. Yours just crossed a line, IMO. No offence meant, I'm sure, and no harm done.

This isn’t a thinly veiled attack but a point I’m genuinely interested in discussing where is the line for humour these days? Whilst I don’t doubt at all the horrendous circumstances one might find oneself in to feel that taking this particular route into the UK is your only choice in life is there not something humorous here as well?

Edna’s article narrative was excellent and worth a chortle but commenting on the frozen nature of the corpse of a person none of us knew isn’t? Yes it’s dark but it’s mildly humorous still and wasn’t poking fun at their situation.

I just don’t get this constant need to be offended on behalf of someone/something all the time.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
What a sad state of affairs all round. Sad waste of life, i presume but dont know he had family maybe relatives who are sad . Quite possibly im wrong on that.
I feel more sorry for the fact he didnt realise he would die in this endeavour. We can take the piss at how stupid a decision this was, and it is stupid, but we do it from a lofty position of having been educated in this country to know roughly about temperatures at such a height and that the chances of survival of doing this stowaway crossing are zero.
This poor bloke didnt know. Not his fault, not our fault either.
If ever there was a lesson that education is paramount to help everyone not just those in Africa this is sadly it

Ps yes dark humour in situations like this is not offensive,we have always dealt with adverse situations with dark humour and always will

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
What a sad state of affairs all round. Sad waste of life, i presume but dont know he had family maybe relatives who are sad . Quite possibly im wrong on that.
I feel more sorry for the fact he didnt realise he would die in this endeavour. We can take the piss at how stupid a decision this was, and it is stupid, but we do it from a lofty position of having been educated in this country to know roughly about temperatures at such a height and that the chances of survival of doing this stowaway crossing are zero.
This poor bloke didnt know. Not his fault, not our fault either.
If ever there was a lesson that education is paramount to help everyone not just those in Africa this is sadly it

Ps yes dark humour in situations like this is not offensive,we have always dealt with adverse situations with dark humour and always will

Having done Medical repatriations from Lagos, Benin and Nairobi and seen the shitty life to be had there I can fully understand someone being desperate to flee...hiding on the outside of a commercial flight might well have seemed like a 100% of f*ck all risk. He’d likely have a short and miserable life there vs a freezing death at 30,000ft.

At least he probably died quickly.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Having done Medical repatriations from Lagos, Benin and Nairobi and seen the shitty life to be had there I can fully understand someone being desperate to flee...hiding on the outside of a commercial flight might well have seemed like a 100% of f*ck all risk. He’d likely have a short and miserable life there vs a freezing death at 30,000ft.

At least he probably died quickly.

Have been a frequent visitor to Uganda for 30 years, dont think some people realise just how shitty the poorer parts can be, i mean really awful. Imagine the worst and multiply it by a thousand and you dont come close. We are very very very lucky here.
Poor bugger, he wont be the last though to think its safe to stowaway in such a manner.......education is the key though and vital to boost the economy and persuade people there are better options than stowing away on a plane undercarriage

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Do we know the type of aircraft involved - there is another possibility he may have died from crush injuries shortly after take-off.
The housing for landing gear looks very spacious when the gear is down [aircraft on the ground] but when they all fold up and in and the doors close, most modern aircraft don't leave much space, almost certainly not enough for an adult male.

Either way, a grim end ....

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
This isn’t a thinly veiled attack but a point I’m genuinely interested in discussing where is the line for humour these days? Whilst I don’t doubt at all the horrendous circumstances one might find oneself in to feel that taking this particular route into the UK is your only choice in life is there not something humorous here as well?

Edna’s article narrative was excellent and worth a chortle but commenting on the frozen nature of the corpse of a person none of us knew isn’t? Yes it’s dark but it’s mildly humorous still and wasn’t poking fun at their situation.

I just don’t get this constant need to be offended on behalf of someone/something all the time.

It is strange what sad things can be humorous if looked at in that way, no one finds a story about a guy chopping his toe off with a lawnmower funny, or some object taking a mans eye out, but when a man chops his own toe off with a lawnmower and the toe flys up off the blade and takes his eye out too, that is a bit funny for some reason.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Have been a frequent visitor to Uganda for 30 years, dont think some people realise just how shitty the poorer parts can be, i mean really awful. Imagine the worst and multiply it by a thousand and you dont come close. We are very very very lucky here.
Poor bugger, he wont be the last though to think its safe to stowaway in such a manner.......education is the key though and vital to boost the economy and persuade people there are better options than stowing away on a plane undercarriage

I nearly got eaten by Bull sharks in Lagos. I was bathing in my pants and a German man saved me from diving on top of an 8ft monster lurking in the surf.

Having then travelled into downtown and sampled the “lively” culture there I came to the conclusion that, if I was forced to live there, I’d have just held my nose and gone gladly to my death in the gob of a man eating fish.

Lagos is a shithole. Worse than Birkenhead, and Benin is worse still. If you don’t got shot going to the shops you’ll die of some festering disease before you reach 40.

At least the bloke who fell out of the plane will get a decent burial. In Nairobi he’d just get chucked into an open sewer.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I'm not offended on someone else's behalf. I have no idea where you'd get that idea from.

My PERSONAL judgement, was that in a thread of comments - some empathetic, some disrespectful, some humorous - that this one comment was particularly distasteful and in need of MODERATION. That's in essence what MODERATORS are here to do :shrug:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I'm not offended on someone else's behalf. I have no idea where you'd get that idea from.

My PERSONAL judgement, was that in a thread of comments - some empathetic, some disrespectful, some humorous - that this one comment was particularly distasteful and in need of MODERATION. That's in essence what MODERATORS are here to do :shrug:

would a raspberry magnum have been a better analogy...???

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
would a raspberry magnum have been a better analogy...???

Maybe - if it is deemed especially essential to come up with a foodstuff based comparison, describe the effects of a falling to earth, of the frozen corpse of the unfortunate victim of a tragic event :shrug:

The alternative of not doing so at all, was also open to you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here