Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Star Wars IX - The Rise of Skywalker - Teaser Trailer

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I've watched all three of the recent films and can't remember a thing about them.
I liked that bit where they were carving up salt on rickety old space machines though. That looked pretty cool.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We have found the Russian bot everyone! Or someone easily manipulated by them.
Not totally impossible of course that he isn't influenced at all by reviews, real or fake and just disagrees that they are good

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've watched all three of the recent films and can't remember a thing about them.
I liked that bit where they were carving up salt on rickety old space machines though. That looked pretty cool.

I'm kind of like that with all the Star Wars films. To me they're just exciting space films with lots of cool special effects and fun fight scenes. I've found them all enjoyable to watch (to different degrees) but I've never really paid much attention to the overarching storylines and how everything gets weaved together. Also, they're films you really HAVE to watch in the cinema to get the full experience.

The trailers have looked good for this one. I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it (but probably forget most things about it within a couple of weeks).

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I'll bet it's utter gash, just like all of them since return of the Jedi.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It is a well known fact that the bad reviews of the recent star wars stuff has come from online bots. TLJ was a great film.

I see. Its a new one on me that Russian bots have taken names from In the Night Garden to disguise themselves. I suppose its an even deeper cover to post about Sci fi and Jurgen Locadia's inability to break into a sprint but there we are.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It's not so much the parent storyline - I can't say I care who blew his beans to create her - it's more the amount of bread crumbs that were thrown down in TFA and then cheerily cast aside in the next film.

Parents? No-one. Forget it. Why has 3P0 got a red arm? Ignore it, shiny now. How come the light sabre was calling? Lash it in the sea. Whose this Snook character? Not to worry, he's dead now. The lack of continuity was a joke like they made it up as they went along....

C-3PO's red arm is explained in his comic book series - https://io9.gizmodo.com/so-now-we-know-how-c-3po-got-his-red-arm-in-the-force-a-1770741572. Snoke is expanded upon slightly in the novelizations of The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. As for Rey's pardents and the lightsabre stuff, who knows, there's still a film to go (plus any related material, see below)

Plus, it's not just the films now. Ever since Disney took control of Star Wars there have been companion books and comics in between the releases of Episodes 7, 8 & 9 to fill in the universe. Even before Disney there was the Expanded Universe which introduced a whole bunch of characters and plot arcs but it was a mess pretty much. There wasn't a defined canon so when Disney came in they literally threw all of it out (we're talking comics, video games, cartoons, hundreds of books) and started their own expanded universe with a massively controlled narrative. Though some characters from the old EU have made it into the new EU.

I heard the other day even that there's an as yet un-opened ride at Star Wars Land in Disney World which is un-opened because the story of the ride would spoil the end of Episode 9.

You're right, there's absolutely some breadcrumbs thrown about but you have to dive into the entire related mythology that Disney is putting out in order to follow them.

It's pretty bonkers.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
We started a complete re-watch of all the films in chronological order, as happens on screen, a few weeks back in the run-up to this release. What I found was that Eps I-III remain as awful as I remember. There's a kernel of a story somewhere, but everything is so dull: the characters, dialogue, pacing, direction (my god, the amount of sitting/walking and talking) and action. The special effects looked terrible 20 years ago and look even worse now. Couldn't wait until they ended. I'll never watch any of them again. I'm sorry, anyone who says Ep III is ok is talking gash. It's abysmal.

Solo is actually a pretty decent film, not great by any means, but looks the part and is fun to watch. My main problem with it (and to a certain degree Rogue One), is was this a story that really needed to be told? It feels too much like a Star Wars greatest hits (oh look, here's how he gets his name/meets Chewie/meets Lando/does the Kessel run etc) and that was a distraction. Shame it got came out so soon after TLJ as it seems to have got caught up in Star Wars fatigue a bit and suffered as a result. Would have been interesting to see where this was leading. Hopefully The Mandalorian will have a similar feel to it.

Rogue One: don't love it as much as others it seems. Again looks great, but the first half is a bit of a mess. Wish it got to the heist a lot sooner and made this more central. Would have been good to have had more of a Band of Brothers-style WWII suicide mission feel to it. The final 30 minutes, and in particular Vadar losing his shit, is great fun, though.

Got on to Star Wars last Sunday. What a relief.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Sadly, I agree with what you are saying. I did, and still do like The Force Awakens, but I find The Last Jedi a hard watch, despite some very good bits.

Re the Amazon LoTR series, I disagree though. There is sooooooooooo much back-story and other material to explore, a series format will be a good way to show it, and given the budget per episode I have high hopes. As I do for The Mandalorian.

Trouble is Papa, Amazon are driven by money whilst Tolkien was driven by a love of lore and languages. You just know it’s going to be shite on that basis. You cannot trust anyone driven by greed and money and ultimately that’s what will ruin it as plots are ‘stretched’. Perhaps be different if it were just several films. But amazon are making several series and there’s no way it can be quality all the way through. I wish they left it alone. There’s is too much of a good thing. It will be ruined. As sure as a hobbits feet are hairy, mark my words! It’s why SW should have been left at just 3 films. Look at the mess they’ve made of that and yet there’s more to come!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Well, I love The Last Jedi. I like that it took conventions and tore them up (cocky hero disobeying orders to save the day? Nope, he failed. Redemption arc leading to sacrifice to save the day? Nope. You get saved and point out how stupid you're being. Luke going to return and take on the entire empire with his laser sword? No. Seriously, look at how easily the empire wiped out the Jedi order in RotS, it would be preposterous for one jedi to do that, even a skywalker. etc). I like that they tried to veer away from 'out of everyone in the entire universe only one special person can save the day'. I also liked that despite that, it still had recognisable beats.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why has 3P0 got a red arm? Ignore it, shiny now.

C-3PO's red arm is explained in his comic book series - https://io9.gizmodo.com/so-now-we-know-how-c-3po-got-his-red-arm-in-the-force-a-1770741572. Snoke is expanded upon slightly in the novelizations of The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. As for Rey's pardents and the lightsabre stuff, who knows, there's still a film to go (plus any related material, see below)

Also, the red arm disappears by the end of TFA - when they wave the falcon off at the end he is back to his gold arm.

Parents? No-one. Forget it.

As mentioned before, I loved TLJ. This line wasn't one that I put too much stock in. Kylo was trying to 'turn' Rey, so I never put a lot of stock in it. It seemed deliberately 'correctable' - that explanation is right there, should they choose to use it. There's also the argument that it was a product of Snoke's interference when he linked them.

Whose this Snook character? Not to worry, he's dead now.

What did we really know about the Emperor (prior to the prequel trilogy) other than he was Vader's boss? And since when has being dead stopped people popping up again in Star Wars? Especially those imbued with the force.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Have been reading some of the critics views on this film.
Let's just say it's best of the latest trilogy, and were blown away :thumbsup:

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Have been reading some of the critics views on this film.
Let's just say it's best of the latest trilogy, and were blown away :thumbsup:

I'm reading much more mixed reviews unfortunately. Shouldn't really bother reading reviews. Less known the better as otherwise I end up basing an opinion before I have even entered the cinema!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm reading much more mixed reviews unfortunately. Shouldn't really bother reading reviews. Less known the better as otherwise I end up basing an opinion before I have even entered the cinema!

Yes, it's going to be hard to avoid spoilers as the days pass. As you say, reading reviews can colour expectation. I just want to go in with an open mind.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'm supposed to be going to the triple-bill showing this evening...but I'm not going to be going.

I'm fully aware this is sacrilegious to some and for that i apologise.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not especially interested in this film but I’ve got a Limitless card and I may as well see it all through to the last one. Before the next ones come out. It’s Disney after all. I’ll pop in on Friday and see it. At the very least I always get a thrill when the opening bars of the theme start up.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I'm sorry, but I prefer the prequals to the Disney films, and I really dislike the prequals. It all feel rather fan wankery and yet at the same time shitting over the entire established characters. Rey is at this time a Mary-Sue, but that can be changed in this movie. They seem to set things up then drop them as soon as possible. All lazily written and copy and pasted from the original trilogy.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I'm looking through the listings and it doesn't seem to be at the Duke of Yorks hardly at all? Seems mainly at the Komedia (which is fine obviously)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here