Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Percy Tau - SIGNED on a 4 year deal - The Lion Returns. RRROOOAAAARRRRR

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Yes, exactly that, because while the UK was part of the EU there was free movement of labour, and that has now changed.

Me being stupid again, but why, when we were in the EU and there was free movement of labour, could PT not play for us?

Apologies for being a bore.....

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I dont think they have cottoned on to NSC yet,... best to leave them on Twitter and FB....... please.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

They seem like a decent bunch to me

They're loving it that their boy is going to be mixing it with the big PL names.

I'll go invite them in ..... hang on

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Me being stupid again, but why, when we were in the EU and there was free movement of labour, could PT not play for us?

The criteria that were in place up until the end of 2020 placed a greater emphasis on the FIFA ranking of the player's national team; although Tau is a regular member of the South African side, their lowly ranking meant he didn't score highly enough to meet the standard that had been set.

With Brexit, the work permit regulations needed to be re-written (to now encompass workers from the EU region). The criteria that have been developed are quite different (I'm sure if you are interested enough, you can find the relevant posts on this board, probably on this thread or a Jakub Moder thread, that explain in more detail). But he now meets the laid-down criteria, which he didn't under the previous system.

Freedom of movement within the EU, itself, didn't impact Tau's eligibility, it is simply the case that he satisfies the new criteria and he didn't satisfy the old criteria.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Sorry to be lazy, but it would be appreciated, if anyone is willing to quickly explain to me why, when we were in the EU, PT was allowed to play for Belgian clubs (in the EU) and not us, and also, why now we have left the EU, that PT can play in UK?

Thanks

I believe it wasn’t snt to do with EU law on who was allowed into the country but infact UK law who was allowed into the UK, these rules have now changed due to us leaving the EU.

I may be wrong.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Our post Brexit rules are not based on the same criteria as before, which has included fifa rankings.

It’s now based on international appearcnes, quality of selling club and league strength.

Maybe Barber got into the FA/government’s ear to get these particular rule changes.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
The criteria that were in place up until the end of 2020 placed a greater emphasis on the FIFA ranking of the player's national team; although Tau is a regular member of the South African side, their lowly ranking meant he didn't score highly enough to meet the standard that had been set.

With Brexit, the work permit regulations needed to be re-written (to now encompass workers from the EU region). The criteria that have been developed are quite different (I'm sure if you are interested enough, you can find the relevant posts on this board, probably on this thread or a Jakub Moder thread, that explain in more detail). But he now meets the laid-down criteria, which he didn't under the previous system.

Freedom of movement within the EU, itself, didn't impact Tau's eligibility, it is simply the case that he satisfies the new criteria and he didn't satisfy the old criteria.

Thanks, I think I’ve got it:dunce:

My understanding was that SA needed to break top 50 FIFA ranking for PT to join us, but if rules changed....think I’m happy. Hope he is mustard 😀

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
You might see 3 millions Tau Brighton shirts in S.A. but I'd be amazed if as many as 100 are official ones with any form of revenue going to the club.

If he does well, and it's a BIG if, then we might see some sponsorship deals in a year or two though.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
My worry for him is we’ve been waiting to see him play for a couple of years now

Look at the comments of disappointment for Zeqiri when he got 45 minutes last week having hardly played since his move from a weaker league

Let’s give the fella a chance to find his feet before expressing disappointment that he’s not odds on for the golden boot within a fortnight

PortuGull

Gooooooooooooooooooooolll
Jul 10, 2011
Brighton Marina
From just before 2:00mins the chorus wording, slightly modified as follows:

Mighty Man of War
Lion of Judah
We bow down and worship you
We're on our way, We're on our way
Come and do what only you can do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHtEw2M0VBg

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
My worry for him is we’ve been waiting to see him play for a couple of years now

Look at the comments of disappointment for Zeqiri when he got 45 minutes last week having hardly played since his move from a weaker league

Let’s give the fella a chance to find his feet before expressing disappointment that he’s not odds on for the golden boot within a fortnight

The pressure on him is more than any other signing as I see it. As you say people will be just waiting for him to miss his first chance or see him misplace his first pass and then slate him for not being good enough Let’s hope he has thick skin.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

I believe it wasn’t snt to do with EU law on who was allowed into the country but infact UK law who was allowed into the UK, these rules have now changed due to us leaving the EU.

I may be wrong.

This has me puzzled now. So, he was allowed to play in the EU, but not in the UK - but now we've left the EU we've changed the criteria, and he can now play in the UK. But that surely means that we had different criteria than the EU when we were still in the EU? How can that have been the case, when the reason for leaving the EU was so that we could adopt different criteria/rules, etc? Not meaning to derail the thread into a Brexit rant - but genuinely puzzled.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This has me puzzled now. So, he was allowed to play in the EU, but not in the UK - but now we've left the EU we've changed the criteria, and he can now play in the UK. But that surely means that we had different criteria than the EU when we were still in the EU? How can that have been the case, when the reason for leaving the EU was so that we could adopt different criteria/rules, etc? Not meaning to derail the thread into a Brexit rant - but genuinely puzzled.
Within the EU, Belgium had different immigration rules to the UK. Which was always allowed.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Every country in the EU has to accept unlimited numbers of migrants from other EU nations (i.e. freedom of movement) but are free to decide on their own immigration policies for non-EU nationals, like Tau.

Prior to Brexit, we had an immigration policy for non-EU nationals that was tougher than Belgium's. That's why Tau could go to Belgium and play there, but couldn't play here.

As others have said above when we left the EU we had to re-write our immigration policy to also factor in our attitude to EU nationals. As a part of that re-write the rules were changed for all foreign nationals and that has benefited us as Tau passes the new criteria.

It was always UK government policy preventing Tau coming here, nothing to do with rules imposed by the EU.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Every country in the EU has to accept unlimited numbers of migrants from other EU nations (i.e. freedom of movement) but are free to decide on their own immigration policies for non-EU nationals, like Tau.

Prior to Brexit, we had an immigration policy for non-EU nationals that was tougher than Belgium's. That's why Tau could go to Belgium and play there, but couldn't play here.

As others have said above when we left the EU we had to re-write our immigration policy to also factor in our attitude to EU nationals. As a part of that re-write the rules were changed for all foreign nationals and that has benefited us as Tau passes the new criteria.

It was always UK government policy preventing Tau coming here, nothing to do with rules imposed by the EU.

Thanks - that's clear now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here