Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
What I can't quite understand is how we have, in most cases, just rolled over deals we had in the EU .... but being a member of the once 'largest free trade area in the world' was supposed to get us much better deals with third countries than we could have achieved by ourselves. After securing all those trade deals we can further adapt and improve on them to prioritise our needs rather than 27 other nations in the coming years [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

no the reason we got good rollover deals is because we were part of the EU for many years and so would abide by the same standards in the interim, whether we secure better deals long term is debatable

What I can't quite understand is Brexiters who still believe we have great trading arrangements when even the ERG and the Brexit party think the deal is shit, they were protesting outside No 10 this week calling it a sell out. So if you think having an demonstrably inferior deal with the EU which all sides say is terrible just to acheive exactly the same arrangements with countries outside the EU, without even talking about being 200bn in the hole, then well done! You've taken delusion to a whole new stratosphere

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
no the reason we got good rollover deals is because we were part of the EU for many years and so would abide by the same standards in the interim, whether we secure better deals long term is debatable

What I can't quite understand is Brexiters who still believe we have great trading arrangements when even the ERG and the Brexit party think the deal is shit, they were protesting outside No 10 this week calling it a sell out. So if you think having an demonstrably inferior deal with the EU which all sides say is terrible just to acheive exactly the same arrangements with countries outside the EU, without even talking about being 200bn in the hole, then well done! You've taken delusion to a whole new stratosphere

Yep £200B, a no deal on services with the EU, nothing large gained on any trade deal so far, US trade deal on hold, poor relations with China.

Anyone who knows how to count can see its a long way back, and that before talk about the huge costs of the incompetent Vote Deal government during the pandemic

Brexiters are struggling on here and understandably so....

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Ah, so size of market, belonging the ex biggest free trade area with the combined diplomatic weight of 28 countries doesn't bring any benefit after all then... its just about maintaing standards. Confusing for all the other members of the #teameu crew who have been saying the exact opposite for years. Perhaps you can explain it to them?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

It certainly is a strange hill to choose to die on.

I have always found it odd to claim Brexit as an economic win. I get the removal of a tier of above-national Government. I am all for that.

That was the refendum mandate. From there the duty of care of the Government was to deliver the LEAST DAMAGING Brexit.

I am still astounded we don't have a plan and roadmap to join the EEA. There is no difference in principle to the compromises required for any trade deal.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
More 'moan, moan, moan/whinge, whinge, whinge' with 'Boris' outrageously accused of sacrificing the UK fishing industry and Northern Ireland because Barnier played a blinder.....................in The Daily Express from former Brexit Party MEP and managing director of a fish auctioneers - June Mummery.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/poli...-fishing-latest-EU-trade-deal-update-video-vn

https://www.express.co.uk/news/worl...atest-UK-fishing-Brexit-Party-update-video-vn

She probably thinks she's an expert or something. She obviously doesn't 'believe' enough. :rolleyes:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
More 'moan, moan, moan/whinge, whinge, whinge' with 'Boris' outrageously accused of sacrificing the UK fishing industry and Northern Ireland because Barnier played a blinder.....................in The Daily Express from former Brexit Party MEP and managing director of a fish auctioneers - June Mummery.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/poli...-fishing-latest-EU-trade-deal-update-video-vn

https://www.express.co.uk/news/worl...atest-UK-fishing-Brexit-Party-update-video-vn

She probably thinks she's an expert or something. She obviously doesn't 'believe' enough. :rolleyes:
Oh dear. How sad. Never mind.

They "Won". They can "Get over it".

No sympathy I'm afraid until they start petitioning the Government for EEA membership.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I remember the days when quoting the Daily Express on here was greeted with derision now those very same people are subscriber's... almost as bad as quoting Guido Fawkes apparently.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Hold the front page !!!!!!!! we have another Brexit " Victory " !!!!!!!

From your link to the Express.... " Rishi Sunak boosts contactless payment limit to £100 as UK rips up hated EU rule "

So, yet another victory, we can spend up to £100 instantly now saving us precious seconds entering a 4 digit number WHOOOOO !

Was the previous limit " Hated " though ? :rotlf:

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
I remember the days when quoting the Daily Express on here was greeted with derision now those very same people are subscriber's... almost as bad as quoting Guido Fawkes apparently.

point.gif

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
It certainly is a strange hill to choose to die on.

I have always found it odd to claim Brexit as an economic win. I get the removal of a tier of above-national Government. I am all for that.

That was the refendum mandate. From there the duty of care of the Government was to deliver the LEAST DAMAGING Brexit.

I am still astounded we don't have a plan and roadmap to join the EEA. There is no difference in principle to the compromises required for any trade deal.

Yes, anyone would think we were being led by a bunch of ideology-fixated, one-eyed loons who would sacrifice the nation's economic wellbeing on the altar of archaic visions of national destiny. Of course, nothing could be further from the truth, as the self appointed 'truth bringer' will doubtless remind anyone who still reads his posts. The notion of meeting half-way and compromise was never on the table for the ERG, nor any of our local Brexiteers if I recall correctly. Most of them were salivating at the thought of the near suicidal WTO (non) deal and then sitting back and waiting in vain for the EU to implode.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Hold the front page !!!!!!!! we have another Brexit " Victory " !!!!!!!

From your link to the Express.... " Rishi Sunak boosts contactless payment limit to £100 as UK rips up hated EU rule "

So, yet another victory, we can spend up to £100 instantly now saving us precious seconds entering a 4 digit number WHOOOOO !

Was the previous limit " Hated " though ? :rotlf:

Obviously not as the headline appears to have now been amended with the word 'hated' removed. :lolol:

Another new 'wake up and smell the coffee' article on fishing though. They're really getting rattled on there now about that. - https://www.express.co.uk/news/poli...ris-johnson-trade-deal-eu-covid19-coronavirus

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Obviously not as the headline appears to have now been amended with the word 'hated' removed. :lolol:

Another new 'wake up and smell the coffee' article on fishing though. They're really getting rattled on there now about that. - https://www.express.co.uk/news/poli...ris-johnson-trade-deal-eu-covid19-coronavirus

I must admit that the main point in all the fishing arguments has been sadly overlooked, so, it's difficult if not impossible to export to the EU thus costing fish exporters sacks of cash, so why don't British fishermen concentrate on catching fish that have a market in the UK and earning some money at least? The trouble is, we filled our boots with EU money and neglected our domestic market, but of course, that would lead to a drop in price as there is more fish on the market.

Edit : Forgot to add that in the " breaking " headline it clearly said " Hated EU Law " !

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I do find the Express Brexit headlines is an absolutely marvellous and humorous start to the day (if a little heavy on the exclamation marks :wink:). My favourites from today

Liz Truss' £9trillion masterplan: Brexit wonderwoman eyes huge list of new trade deals
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/liz-truss-%c2%a39trillion-masterplan-brexit-wonderwoman-eyes-huge-list-of-new-trade-deals/ar-BB1e9cFa

Brexit could bring back 'cheap duty-free cigarettes of hovercraft days'
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/brexit-could-bring-back-cheap-duty-free-cigarettes-of-hovercraft-days/ar-BB1ebMuV

I've included the links in case anybody thought I was making these headlines up :lolol:

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
Nice analysis here of the Ghana deal, interestingly they already have trading arrangements with the EU where they align with EU standards, so by having a rollover deal we effectively sign up to EU standards. Not sure where soveriegnty works in this context !?!

It does also raise the issue of how the UK will negotiate better deals than the established ones these other 3rd countries have with the EU. Why would they agree to completely different regulatory alignment and give us better terms? From their perspective they will prefer the UK to stick with EU rules forever or they would expect concessions, otherwise whats in it for them?

Jan 30, 2008
Nice analysis here of the Ghana deal, interestingly they already have trading arrangements with the EU where they align with EU standards, so by having a rollover deal we effectively sign up to EU standards. Not sure where soveriegnty works in this context !?!

It does also raise the issue of how the UK will negotiate better deals than the established ones these other 3rd countries have with the EU. Why would they agree to completely different regulatory alignment and give us better terms? From their perspective they will prefer the UK to stick with EU rules forever or they would expect concessions, otherwise whats in it for them?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/ghana-uk-joint-statement-ghana-uk-trade-partnership-agreement
No hard feelings
Regards
DF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here