Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I would imagine many leave voters who cited more control over borders, tough stance on refusing refugees from war torn countries and asylum seekers political or otherwise as their reason to leave the EU, will be surprised to learn you can still be in the EU and practice this, for example the Czech Republic. [emoji23]

Quite. Having said that, CZ wasnt one of the countries bombing the shit out of these countries, so dont feel the need to. However, it does prove the point. We, and I mean the British seem to have the notion that none of the shit in the middle east has been anything to do with us for some reason, and the refugees should go somewhere else, despite our heavy involvement.

The immigration lies put to the electorate was spectacular. The British government had the tools to restrict immigration, the same as other EU countries but never implemented them.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Quite. Having said that, CZ wasnt one of the countries bombing the shit out of these countries, so dont feel the need to. However, it does prove the point. We, and I mean the British seem to have the notion that none of the shit in the middle east has been anything to do with us for some reason, and the refugees should go somewhere else, despite our heavy involvement.

The immigration lies put to the electorate was spectacular. The British government had the tools to restrict immigration, the same as other EU countries but never implemented them.

I didn't vote for us to leave the EU because of any immigration issue - perceived or real. But I do need to ask you what rules would have allowed the UK to prevent the entry of a French person, an Italian or maybe someone from Spain ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I didn't vote for us to leave the EU because of any immigration issue - perceived or real. But I do need to ask you what rules would allowed the UK to prevent the entry of a French person, an Italian or maybe someone from Spain ?

Article 7. EU citizens should get a job within three months of arrival in the other country and have private health insurance.

Without exit checks, it is impossible to follow up. The UK decided not to do exit checks.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Article 7. EU citizens should get a job within three months of arrival in the other country and have private health insurance.

Without exit checks, it is impossible to follow up. The UK decided not to do exit checks.

So we had no right to prevent someone entering ( unless very specific circumstances prevailed ). Thank you for backing up my point.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So we had no right to prevent someone entering ( unless very specific circumstances prevailed ). Thank you for backing up my point.

The 'entry' could be for education (college), tourism or to work. That's why the 90 day limit was the same throughout.
It would apply to you going to France, Italy or Spain.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The 'entry' could be for education (college), tourism or to work. That's why the 90 day limit was the same throughout.
It would apply to you going to France, Italy or Spain.

So yet again, and you seem to be ignoring this point, we couldn't have refused someone entry ! You're post is referencing how long people are allowed to stay - not about ENTRY.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So yet again, and you seem to be ignoring this point, we couldn't have refused someone entry ! You're post is referencing how long people are allowed to stay - not about ENTRY.

Who do we refuse entry to, EU or non EU, and why?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I didn't vote for us to leave the EU because of any immigration issue - perceived or real. But I do need to ask you what rules would have allowed the UK to prevent the entry of a French person, an Italian or maybe someone from Spain ?

I believe that this was the post that you came in on and kindly highlighted the relevant part of his post for us. At no point did he mention EU or non EU immigration, both of which we can use tools to control if we, as a country decide to (which, for the most part, we haven't).

You've had it explained to you numerous times how any EU country can restrict immigration using the 3 month work rules which we decided not to implement. And we also have significant other controls over non EU immigration which we have also decided not to implement.

So the statement you highlighted 'The British government had the tools to restrict immigration, the same as other EU countries but never implemented them.' is absolutely and completely correct :shrug:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Who do we refuse entry to, EU or non EU, and why?

Non-EU, we decide who gains entry and who doesn't

EU, they can automatically enter - we can only turn them away in very specific instances. We don't have FULL control around entry.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Dave, it didn’t take me that long to establish CZ supported the Gulf War, Iraq War, War in Afghanistan and indeed the Libiyan Civil War.

All on the Wiki page if interested?

In a very minor way, and without bombing the shit out of them. Ours was major involvement and bombing. People in the UK have problems with refugees from these war torn countries and lose their shit over refugees after having a major role in making them feel the need to flee these places.

Czech involvement has mainly been Medical, reconstruction etc. Hardly enough to be called major protagonists

http://www.army.cz/scripts/detail.php?id=5717

Jan 30, 2008
In a very minor way, and without bombing the shit out of them. Ours was major involvement and bombing. People in the UK have problems with refugees from these war torn countries and lose their shit over refugees after having a major role in making them feel the need to flee these places.

Czech involvement has mainly been Medical, reconstruction etc. Hardly enough to be called major protagonists

http://www.army.cz/scripts/detail.php?id=5717

A bit like the Czech government David :lolol:
Regards
DF

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here