Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think that is a bit harsh. The referendum was so vague, and it seems there were lots of lies, that no-one really had a clear idea of what they were voting for. The politicians couldn't explain exactly what Brexit would look like since, even now, they cannot agree. Stating that you voted with a different idea of what it would look like is refreshingly honest. It's far smarter than blindly saying "leave means leave" when they don't know what leave means even now.

Honest, but being as charitable as I can, hopelessly naive.

Every individual leave voter was voting for their own interpretation of what 'Leave' meant, believing that it would solve any and all problems that they perceived, exactly as the leave campaign planned. (You only have to look at the early postings on this thread to see what they thought awaited us). Maybe a little thought beforehand and they would have realised this was not actually possible, that they had been sold a fantasy, and reality may pan out differently.

Then it may not have come as so much of a surprise to find, three and a bit years later, that we are still in the EU, and they still haven't found out what they voted for :shrug:

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Just a touch patronising.

Anyone supporting Labour and their constant sitting on the fence really should not be spouting about MPs changing their stance.

As for 'which party shall I join Chucka' he is just the bedwetting queen of the lot.

I have seen constant remoaners post up on Facebook all the time for the past 3 years, wasting energy, causing arguments and spreading hate.

The remoaners need to LET IT GO have some FAITH and go with the majority as that what was clearly voted for.

If for any reason this doesn't go through there will be a bigger backlash and it will be a vortex forevermore, and all caused because some will not accept a DEMOCRATIC VOTE and whipped up equally a few MP trying to win the next election.

The EU has also done feck all to help and I hope they pay that price heavily when we leave with NO deal.

Boris is doing a great job in attacking the situation and putting it to bed if you are a fence-sitter type go and hide under your duvet for 6 months as the current British snowflake, needs to toughen up.

Ps Come on the ALBION.:albion2::albion2:

Hi mate, the reason I can't let it go is that I am certain it will be bad for my country.
Imagine a terror group was planning to do something that would be as disruptive as No Deal brexit, you would want to prevent that right?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The question asked was remain or leave, not Leave but only if there is a deal first. A no deal is an outcome that exactly matches the votes result, to leave, and leaving with a deal in place (which the contents could never be predicted before the vote) exactly matches the referendum outcome too, to leave. How we leave shouldn't matter, just the amount of notice given to those who will be affected by it matters, the sooner the way we leave is set in stone, the better for business (with a deal or with a no deal, it doesn't matter along as there is plenty of notice for them to plan and prepare)

This dragging of the process of leaving, the delays and the battles to try to stop a no deal Brexit is causing the uncertainty for business, not the outcome of the vote itself. Business needs certainty to help it plan for the future, and when there is uncertainty, they tend to no longer invest in research and development to the same sort of levels as before but cut back instead. Businesses needs an idea of when to plan for our exit, it means they can put contingency plans in place to help secure supplies it will need during the transition period once we leave. Businesses need to know who we will leave and how future recruitment will need to be conducted if recruiting abroad

If they have no idea if we leave, when we leave, and what rules and agreements will be in place which will directly affect how they operate, how can they plan

All this fighting over trying to stop the process is damaging business, its impacting the economy and things like the scaremongering over the need for stockpiling because of this uncertainty is never going to be good for our economy or businesses based here.

Businesses have a history of being able to adapt, but the failures and sabotaging by politicians and alike are making it harder for them, they need a time scale to plan and work to and all of these delaying tactics and fighting against the votes outcome are doing is making it harder for them and making it more likely that the economy will be adversely effected than if we had announced several months ago that we leave with a no deal. Those fighting it, think they are making the situation better by preventing it, are in fact just making things worse (including causing more damage to the economy)

It's funny that you should think it's the lack of a real 'no deal' date that's at the root of the problems when so many businesses and trade bodies think it's the prospect of a 'no deal' itself that's the problem ?

Retailers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47028748

Manufacturing
https://www.ft.com/content/fe945bea-b2dd-11e9-8cb2-799a3a8cf37b

Farming
https://www.nfuonline.com/news/latest-news/no-deal-catastrophic-for-british-farming/

Pharmaceuticals
https://www.abpi.org.uk/what-we-do/working-with-government-and-parliament/brexit/no-deal-brexit/

Financial Services
https://www.ft.com/content/3a35dfd6-b2cd-11e9-8cb2-799a3a8cf37b

Charities
https://www.charityretail.org.uk/no-deal-brexit-threat-to-uk-charity-shops/

Besides, I've been getting told that all these problems were the fault of the EU, Remainers, MPs, Theresa May, Remain MPs, etc etc etc, when all along, it appears it was the lack of a realistic 'no deal' date.

Well, I'm sure that now Johnson gave a 'real no-deal date' when appointed a month ago, all these businesses will be proved wrong and the economy will start picking up ..... Oh :facepalm:

(And I love the fact that the mere prospect of something else to blame gets the whole leave gang on board thumbing you within hours - [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION] [MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] [MENTION=578]portslade seagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=20840]The Rivet[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] But I guess that's better than the alternative of taking responsibility for what you've done)

Last edited:

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
Sorry but that is utter crap. If people did not understand the consequences of their action that is their own fault for expressing an opinion on an issue whilst being ignorant of the facts. The only people to blame for Brexit of any kind are those who voted for it even, if like you, they actually didn’t understand it.

Just a touch patronising.

Anyone supporting Labour and their constant sitting on the fence really should not be spouting about MPs changing their stance.

As for 'which party shall I join Chucka' he is just the bedwetting queen of the lot.

I have seen constant remoaners post up on Facebook all the time for the past 3 years, wasting energy, causing arguments and spreading hate.

The remoaners need to LET IT GO have some FAITH and go with the majority as that what was clearly voted for.

If for any reason this doesn't go through there will be a bigger backlash and it will be a vortex forevermore, and all caused because some will not accept a DEMOCRATIC VOTE and whipped up equally a few MP trying to win the next election.

The EU has also done feck all to help and I hope they pay that price heavily when we leave with NO deal.

Boris is doing a great job in attacking the situation and putting it to bed if you are a fence-sitter type go and hide under your duvet for 6 months as the current British snowflake, needs to toughen up.

Ps Come on the ALBION.:albion2::albion2:

A good couple of snowflake flounces from you two.

You need to accept that the ERG have played their part in this mess. You need to accept that your view of no deal brexit is not the one and only form of Brexit. You need to realise that you are repeating the trope of the right wing media and claiming it as your own thought: it's remoaner's fault, it's the EU's fault. It's not our fault.

Why haven't the EU helped? They created and agreed a deal with our government so we could move on to the next stage of the finer details of our future relationship. Is it because they haven't rolled over and given us the easiest deal in history?

Complaining about patronising posts whilst posting patronising posts. It's like a parody account.

Accept what you voted for and take responsibility for it.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
A good couple of snowflake flounces from you two.

You need to accept that the ERG have played their part in this mess. You need to accept that your view of no deal brexit is not the one and only form of Brexit. You need to realise that you are repeating the trope of the right wing media and claiming it as your own thought: it's remoaner's fault, it's the EU's fault. It's not our fault.

Why haven't the EU helped? They created and agreed a deal with our government so we could move on to the next stage of the finer details of our future relationship. Is it because they haven't rolled over and given us the easiest deal in history?

Complaining about patronising posts whilst posting patronising posts. It's like a parody account.

Accept what you voted for and take responsibility for it.

What are you quoting me for? I voted remain.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Sorry but that is utter crap. If people did not understand the consequences of their action that is their own fault for expressing an opinion on an issue whilst being ignorant of the facts. The only people to blame for Brexit of any kind are those who voted for it even, if like you, they actually didn’t understand it.

I think that is a bit harsh. The referendum was so vague, and it seems there were lots of lies, that no-one really had a clear idea of what they were voting for. The politicians couldn't explain exactly what Brexit would look like since, even now, they cannot agree. Stating that you voted with a different idea of what it would look like is refreshingly honest. It's far smarter than blindly saying "leave means leave" when they don't know what leave means even now.

It's not harsh at all. Remainers basically voted for 'more of the same'. Leavers voted for 'change', but seemingly without much real idea of what that change would mean or would look like. Therefore, basically, leavers were voting for a gamble, and if that gamble doesn't pay off, or doesn't pan out they way they hoped it might - then yes, they are the main ones to blame. If people did not have a clear idea of what they were voting for, then they shouldn't have voted.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If people did not have a clear idea of what they were voting for, then they shouldn't have voted.

Best do away with universal suffrage then. Better still, do away with elections altogether, because whatever government is voted in, the electorate doesn't know how it's going to turn out.
Just leave it all to the unelected House of Lords and the Whitehall mandarins - that'll make sure we remain in the EU..........

D

Deleted member 2719

It's funny that you should think it's the lack of a real 'no deal' date that's at the root of the problems when so many businesses and trade bodies think it's the prospect of a 'no deal' itself that's the problem ?

Retailers
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47028748

Manufacturing
https://www.ft.com/content/fe945bea-b2dd-11e9-8cb2-799a3a8cf37b

Farming
https://www.nfuonline.com/news/latest-news/no-deal-catastrophic-for-british-farming/

Pharmaceuticals
https://www.abpi.org.uk/what-we-do/working-with-government-and-parliament/brexit/no-deal-brexit/

Financial Services
https://www.ft.com/content/3a35dfd6-b2cd-11e9-8cb2-799a3a8cf37b

Charities
https://www.charityretail.org.uk/no-deal-brexit-threat-to-uk-charity-shops/

Besides, I've been getting told that all these problems were the fault of the EU, Remainers, MPs, Theresa May, Remain MPs, etc etc etc, when all along, it appears it was the lack of a realistic 'no deal' date.

Well, I'm sure that now Johnson gave a 'real no-deal date' when appointed a month ago, all these businesses will be proved wrong and the economy will start picking up ..... Oh :facepalm:

(And I love the fact that the mere prospect of something else to blame gets the whole leave gang on board thumbing you within hours - [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION] [MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] [MENTION=578]portslade seagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=20840]The Rivet[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] But I guess that's better than the alternative of taking responsibility for what you've done)

Its football time and you won't be drawing me in now.

:albion2::albion2:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Pinched from we are Brighton twitter account

Just a reminder that, because of a Brexit, you need six months on your passport to travel to Europe for the 2020-21 Champions League campaign

In case you were interested in that sort of thing especially after today!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Hours to go. I've never posted on this pile of crap while we are playing :wink:

Indeed. Brexit and the Albion hardly belong on the same page. (Perhaps to emphasise that, Graham Potter, in a statement to The Times yesterday, made it clear that he is against leaving the EU. Good man.)

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It's not harsh at all. Remainers basically voted for 'more of the same'. Leavers voted for 'change', but seemingly without much real idea of what that change would mean or would look like. Therefore, basically, leavers were voting for a gamble, and if that gamble doesn't pay off, or doesn't pan out they way they hoped it might - then yes, they are the main ones to blame. If people did not have a clear idea of what they were voting for, then they shouldn't have voted.

'More of the same' as in no idea what the future direction of the EU will take but certain it will be dominated by the Franco-German alliance prioritising the Eurozone and ever closer union over the interests of any second-tier members (see the UK). If remainers didn't understand this perhaps they shouldn't have voted. Quite a gamble ....

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
'More of the same' as in no idea what the future direction of the EU will take but certain it will be dominated by the Franco-German alliance prioritising the Eurozone and ever closer union over the interests of any second-tier members (see the UK). If remainers didn't understand this perhaps they shouldn't have voted. Quite a gamble ....
Well said, but let's concentrate on the football now the season has started.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Well said, but let's concentrate on the football now the season has started.

It isn’t well said. It’s absolute bollocks and you both know it. There’s 27 countries which get to vote; if the other 25 don’t like something it will be voted down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here