Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So why aren't the Brexiters parading this option round the streets as the Brexit which works?

the leave camp is split with only the hard line having any action. as a wider alternative to further EU integration it requires EU to back it. it may be the outcome of further negotiations, but to get that far we need to conclude the WA.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I do agree that IF there is a "National Unity" government the best option would be a Conservative leader, however, I think Ken is a bit too old now for the job. I can't think of a good alternative though. 'm not a Conservative voter but they did get more seats than any other party at the last general election.

The Government of National Unity proposition is problematic in all sorts of ways (some of which I can't even think of but I'm sure they are out there!). I think the main one is that it cuts against the reflexive tribal politics that our system is built on, bless its little cotton socks. As has already been flagged, a major issue will be who leads it. This morning Peter Kyle - surely one of the most reasonable, non-tribal Labour backbenchers - was asked whether he would support a government of this type if it were not headed by Jeremy Corbyn. He didn't exactly say yes - but he didn't say no either. My point is that if he is troubled by this proposition, then for common or garden Corbynista MPs it might be an 'over my dead body' proposition - as it would be for virtually all non-Labour MPs if it were Corbyn himself who was slated to lead such a government.

I'd actually favour this solution over a no-deal Brexit utter disaster (messy as it would be) but I find it very hard to imagine who would be an 'acceptable' leader. I'm not sure what the odds are but Caroline Lucas might be a very long odds punt? If this sounds ridiculous, try slotting in another name (I'd also go for Keir Starmer,).

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The Government of National Unity proposition is problematic in all sorts of ways (some of which I can't even think of but I'm sure they are out there!). I think the main one is that it cuts against the reflexive tribal politics that our system is built on, bless its little cotton socks. As has already been flagged, a major issue will be who leads it. This morning Peter Kyle - surely one of the most reasonable, non-tribal Labour backbenchers - was asked whether he would support a government of this type if it were not headed by Jeremy Corbyn. He didn't exactly say yes - but he didn't say no either. My point is that if he is troubled by this proposition, then for common or garden Corbynista MPs it might be an 'over my dead body' proposition - as it would be for virtually all non-Labour MPs if it were Corbyn himself who was slated to lead such a government.

I'd actually favour this solution over a no-deal Brexit utter disaster (messy as it would be) but I find it very hard to imagine who would be an 'acceptable' leader. I'm not sure what the odds are but Caroline Lucas might be a very long odds punt? If this sounds ridiculous, try slotting in another name (I'd also go for Keir Starmer,).

I think a unity government would be a very short term fix to avoid 'no deal'. That's why I would put forward Ken Clarke on the basis that the intention was to call an election once, and if, the BREXIT situation was resolved.

In reality it's all redundant. If there is a majority in parliament for a government of national unity, then a majority is there to stop BREXIT via the statute books.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
you see and understand the issues, they are gradually working towards this.

There are already areas of the EU in which not all members take part, so to some extent a two, or even three speed EU exists. The issue will arise in areas which affect the functioning of the Single Market.
The big issue is taxation, States like Luxembourg and to a lesser extent Ireland offer low corporate tax rates and access to the single market. It means the head office of corporations can locate there, and pay corporation tax at a lower rate for all their EU derived profits. This is also a reason services are not easily included in trade deals, unless the taxation systems between one area and another are fairly similar. It creates an advantage for a corporation to be based in one location over the other, to the detriment of the tax revenues of the other.
To be honest, this will be an issue for all countries in the world as more and more people earn their money digitally, and can travel the world to avoid being resident for more than half the year in any tax authorities boundary. Income taxes are going to be hard to collect fairly, with those tied to a geographical location for work not able to avoid them, and those who can move and earn anywhere not paying anything at all to anyone. This will probably end up with a shift worldwide to placing higher taxes on purchases and consumption, taxing global digital business is going to be best handled by larger tax authorities.
I think the EU is going to be better able to get deals done around the world to reduce the ability of the wealthy to hide their wealth, I think Rees-Mogg agrees with me too and is a major motivator for him to get out.

Jan 30, 2008
i think a unity government would be a very short term fix to avoid 'no deal'. That's why i would put forward ken clarke on the basis that the intention was to call an election once, and if, the brexit situation was resolved.

In reality it's all redundant. If there is a majority in parliament for a government of national unity, then a majority is there to stop brexit via the statute books.
thus ignoring the electorate , yes that makes sense :dunce:
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008

two of the most deluded people in this whole Brexit saga, i reckon chucky and Soubry are worth a shout:dunce:
regards
DR

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Dear fellow NSC Brexit Thread user,

There used to be an unwritten protocol that an Albion match-day, particularly a Saturday one, would see a voluntary cessation of activity on this thread. At some point last season this convention, regrettably, fell very much by the wayside. Can I politely suggest that with the new Albion season starting tomorrow you consider restarting observing and respecting this convention as I will be, or at least attempt giving it a go for a few weeks.

Whether you're going to Hertfordshire tomorrow for the game or not, have a nice weekend whatever you're doing. :thumbsup: :albion2: :drink:

Thank-you.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Dear fellow NSC Brexit Thread user,

There used to be an unwritten protocol that an Albion match-day, particularly a Saturday one, would see a voluntary cessation of activity on this thread. At some point last season this convention, regrettably, fell very much by the wayside. Can I politely suggest that with the new Albion season starting tomorrow you consider restarting observing and respecting this convention as I will be, or at least attempt giving it a go for a few weeks.

Whether you're going to Hertfordshire tomorrow for the game or not, have a nice weekend whatever you're doing. :thumbsup: :albion2: :drink:

Thank-you.

What will PPF do ? Be fair.

Jan 30, 2008
A 'no deal' BREXIT is ignoring the public.

Two thirds are against it.
no it's not ,no one voted for a deal, keep on dreaming, the electorate can't be ignored on the referendum result otherwise it's a free for all on any future public vote, some people dreaming of an election well all i can say is the major party's would get HAMMERED , leave means leave no more stalling
regards
DR

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
no it's not ,no one voted for a deal, keep on dreaming, the electorate can't be ignored on the referendum result otherwise it's a free for all on any future public vote, some people dreaming of an election well all i can say is the major party's would get HAMMERED , leave means leave no more stalling
regards
DR
Millions of people voted for a deal you lemon !!

[emoji38]ol:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
regards
DR

You've never mentioned that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here