Page 17 of 83 FirstFirst ... 7141516171819202767 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 826
  1. #161

    1 Not allowed!
    I suppose one way of looking at it is that Duffy is a better player than Greer, the player he would be directly replacing.

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #162
      ESU Zimmer Crew
      Join Date
      Apr 2014
      Posts
      11,433


      4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It was never intended to appear racialist just a reflection of what I consider to be English and eligible to represent my country. In the flats in my block are Romanian, Latvian and a Bulgarian family who all have children and if they had a child who grew up to be a good sportsmen they could play for their mothers country as above or England where they were born 2 options. I was born and bred in England of English parents so have 1 option is that right and fair.
      It's not really a question of fairness as there is no other country you would desire to represent. Any other consideration comes down to my point about mercenaries (although it may not apply in the cases you consider).

      Look at it like this. You and I like cricket. We are Sussex supporters. As far as I know you, like myself, were raised here. I was born in Surrey and came to Sussex at 6 months old.

      Let's say that, like Yorkshire once had on there statute books, only Sussex born folk could represent their county. As a youngster I was a very good cricketer.and loved Sussex CCC. Let's say that my talent was developed and I was good enough for county level. Now let's suppose that Sussex had the Yorkshire model. Can you imagine how heartbroken I would have been if I couldn't be selected ? I have no affiliation with Surrey. That brings it down to a more local level. If any of your children were in the same position, having been born across the border, I bet you would have been livid. Local or national, it's just the same.

      Your identity is where your heart is- and if someone's heart is with the English flag then I'm happy to see them wear it on their chest.
      Quote Originally Posted by sydney View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Was that when we took Bejams....?
    • #163

      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It was never intended to appear racialist just a reflection of what I consider to be English and eligible to represent my country. In the flats in my block are Romanian, Latvian and a Bulgarian family who all have children and if they had a child who grew up to be a good sportsmen they could play for their mothers country as above or England where they were born 2 options. I was born and bred in England of English parents so have 1 option is that right and fair. If my mother was Welsh and my father a Scot then I would have 3 options for international honours. That cant be right surely.
      So you're saying...despite all the reasoning @Brighton Lines has given you, you cannot accept the fact someone who's heritage lies elsewhere but has been raised in England has a choice on who they feel they should represent should they get to compete at the highest level? Even ruling yourself out as not right and fair' if you had the choice to compete for whichever nation you felt the closest connection to. Blimey.
      Tony Bloom's Blue and White army!
      "Selling Kayal now would be the equivalent of winning star baker every week during weeks 1-5 of Bake Off before turning up pissed on week 6, slapping Mary Berry on the arse, hurling racist insults at Paul Hollywood and offering Mel and Sue a threes up. It would be the end of our season."
    • #164
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Haywards Heath
      Posts
      69,606


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brighton Lines View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It's not really a question of fairness as there is no other country you would desire to represent. Any other consideration comes down to my point about mercenaries (although it may not apply in the cases you consider).

      Look at it like this. You and I like cricket. We are Sussex supporters. As far as I know you, like myself, were raised here. I was born in Surrey and came to Sussex at 6 months old.

      Let's say that, like Yorkshire once had on there statute books, only Sussex born folk could represent their county. As a youngster I was a very good cricketer.and loved Sussex CC. Let's say that my talent was developed and I was good enough for county level. Now let's suppose that Sussex had the Yorkshire model. Can you imagine how heartbroken I would have been if I couldn't be selected ? That brings it down to a more local level. If any of your children were in the same position, having been born across the border, I bet you would have been livid. Local or national, it's just the same.

      Your identity is where your heart is- and if someone's heart is with the English flag then I'm happy to see them wear it on their chest.
      I can see your argument but disagree so I think it is best to leave it now as some will get offended, not you I am sure.
    • #165
      ESU Zimmer Crew
      Join Date
      Apr 2014
      Posts
      11,433


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BensGrandad View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I can see your argument but disagree so I think it is best to leave it now as some will get offended, not you I am sure.
      Perhaps I do find it a little offensive. But I'm more sad that your views are so fixed. I'm happy to leave it there happy in the knowledge that other people's 'thumbs up' on my post show that I am not holding a minority view.
      Quote Originally Posted by sydney View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Was that when we took Bejams....?
    • #166

      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Brighton Lines View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Perhaps I do find it a little offensive. But I'm more sad that your views are so fixed. I'm happy to leave it there happy in the knowledge that other people's 'thumbs up' on my post show that I am not holding a minority view.
      It's a shame but that is just how some people are. Cannot understand why, but often their horrid views cannot be changed.
      Tony Bloom's Blue and White army!
      "Selling Kayal now would be the equivalent of winning star baker every week during weeks 1-5 of Bake Off before turning up pissed on week 6, slapping Mary Berry on the arse, hurling racist insults at Paul Hollywood and offering Mel and Sue a threes up. It would be the end of our season."
    • #167
      JCB Medwayseagull's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 2011
      Location
      North North East from the AMEX
      Posts
      3,469


      1 Not allowed!
      Can't someone find a reason to persuade BG to stop his incessant posting to save him from himself.
      If we lived in a perfect place nobody would vote Tory.
    • #168
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Sussex
      Posts
      20,445


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Medwayseagull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Can't someone find a reason to persuade BG to stop his incessant posting to save him from himself.
      It's a shame he can't have a post limit per thread as it descends decent threads into nonsense half the time .

      Back to Duffy be good . As suggested , start another thread with whatever you are talking about and keep this to Duffy
    • #169
      Members Green Cross Code Man's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2006
      Location
      Eastbourne
      Posts
      13,363


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Napper View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It's a shame he can't have a post limit per thread as it descends decent threads into nonsense half the time .
      What about the big board, inane ramblings and a BG board? That would tidy the big board up considerably.
      If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice......
    • #170
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Haywards Heath
      Posts
      69,606


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Napper View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      It's a shame he can't have a post limit per thread as it descends decent threads into nonsense half the time .

      Back to Duffy be good . As suggested , start another thread with whatever you are talking about and keep this to Duffy
      This escalated from people saying he was an established international with a good team which I disputed. Sorry but on that score I would sooner we signed a loan from a Premier club even if he was young.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •