Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vaughan v Trott

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Vaughan has decided to go for it today, and claimed it was all a big con that Trott left the Ashes tour claiming a stress-related illness (and doing nothing to stop talk of depression).

Trott has now said it wasn't depression, and that he was just a bit burnt out.

I've got some sympathy for Vaughan on this one. Mental illness is a very hot topic at the moment, and rightly so for anyone who has seen its effects. Trott would have known that he would get a far easier ride leaving an Ashes tour by hinting that was the reason, when it seems it wasn't. If he used 'being burnt out' he would have got slaughtered for leaving England in the lurch.

It appears on the surface as if Trott has played the 'stress' card in the way you don't like to see the race card played by certain opportunists, ie to obscure the truth and create a diversion.

And on the face of it this doesn't do the real cause of treating mental illness properly, and creating a more sympathetic environment, any favours at all.

It will also be interesting if Vaughan now also really goes for Swann, who would have more to say for himself in his defence whereas Trott is perhaps a softer target. Swann's decision was not medically related either, and many think he got a pretty easy ride for ducking out of a losing tour.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Very much Team Vaughn on both of these. I'm sure that touring Australia and getting your ar$e handed to you on a plate at every turn isn't particularly nice, so that might make you wish you were at home instead but...still. Some people actually work for a living.*

*not me, obviously

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Very much Team Vaughn on both of these. I'm sure that touring Australia and getting your ar$e handed to you on a plate at every turn isn't particularly nice, so that might make you wish you were at home instead but...still. Some people actually work for a living.*

*not me, obviously

Good to hear you're still managing to avoid it. Me too.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think the stupidest thing Trott did was say he was scared about being called a "nutcase" and this little nugget "People come up to you and say, 'It's good to see you're out and about' and I'm like, 'I'm not crazy I was just burnt out'.""

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I think it was a total disgrace for Trott to walk out on the Ashes tour because he was "burnt out". How many of us feel exactly the same every Monday morning?! (And possibly many other days of the week too!). Many of us have have family, mortgages etc etc where we just don't have the option to walk out and go home.

Trott's "job" was to fly around the world, first class, staying at the best hotels, dining at the best restaurant, and then...every now and then...go out and PLAY SPORT....and get bloody well paid for it too. I feel so very sorry for him.

Funny how he wasn't "burnt out" when England were winning and he was making big scores eh?

Being selected to represent your country at any sport should be greatest honour there is. Nothing should ever come close. If you walk away from that wonderful opportunity and fantastic life (style), you should NEVER get another chance. Trott let the team and the country down. He should never be allowed back.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Trott seems very naïve in making his latest comments. If correct I can see why he is fair game for Vaughan and no doubt other media pundits will now want to have their say. Trott has also opened the door for his playing opponents to give him a very hard time. I certainly don't think Trott should get anywhere near the England squad until he has shown some form against really top opposition that merits his inclusion.

I had some sympathy for Trott when he withdrew from the Ashes tour but wasn't entirely happy that as a professional he did not make himself unavailable or withdraw before the series started.

Until now I found Swann's sudden 'retirement' mid Ashes far less acceptable than Trott's. OK Swann's form wasn't brilliant (he wasn't alone there) and he had a niggling elbow injury but to just walk away and drop his mates in it was poor. Yes there was a split in the dressing room but as one of the stronger characters he was well placed to help find a way forward. Plus we've been on the wrong end of thrashings in Oz several times before - but at least most previous touring sides have stuck to it and taken a consolation test victory to salvage some pride. For someone with so much to say about others Swann has got off very lightly in the media, when he probably should have faced greater scrutiny.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Nothing like giving some-one a good kicking when they are already down.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There seems an awful lot of recent ex-International England Cricketers piling in to work in the media over the last couple of years, maybe this is Vaughn's attempt to bid for Boycott's position as " Blunt talking Yorksireman " in residence ? If he gets a reputation for being " Edgy " he might get his own show on Talkshite.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Vaughan should take over the England setup pure and simple. He would do to our squad what Lehman has done to the Aussies. A brilliant captain, creative cricketing brain and someone with whom players respect and would respond to in my opinion. The ECB should be doing everything they can to persuade him to jack the media in.

Addiseagull

Nov 30, 2005
I think it was a total disgrace for Trott to walk out on the Ashes tour because he was "burnt out". How many of us feel exactly the same every Monday morning?! (And possibly many other days of the week too!). Many of us have have family, mortgages etc etc where we just don't have the option to walk out and go home.

Trott's "job" was to fly around the world, first class, staying at the best hotels, dining at the best restaurant, and then...every now and then...go out and PLAY SPORT....and get bloody well paid for it too. I feel so very sorry for him.

Funny how he wasn't "burnt out" when England were winning and he was making big scores eh?

Being selected to represent your country at any sport should be greatest honour there is. Nothing should ever come close. If you walk away from that wonderful opportunity and fantastic life (style), you should NEVER get another chance. Trott let the team and the country down. He should never be allowed back.

I started out with a different view to you but this post has changed my opinion. Spot on mate.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
This is the same Vaughan who said that Pieterson should be "managed", without ever quite getting round to explaining how. Everyone else has tried, everyone else has failed, so what is Vaughan's great secret?

Punditry is easy. Even I can do it. "England are crap and should play better"......

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Trott has a history of burnt outs probably due to the intensity of his personality and approach. He will not walk back into the team, he will have to earn a place and then manage himself properly.

Do England need Trott more than Trott needs England ?

Like so many 'special' talents there are 'special' needs.

I am not particularly pro Trott but I am anti pundit. They are paid a shed load of money for largely stating the obvious and often at the expense of current players. I just wonder what Boycott the pundit would have made of Boycott the player ?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This is the same Vaughan who said that Pieterson should be "managed", without ever quite getting round to explaining how. Everyone else has tried, everyone else has failed, so what is Vaughan's great secret?

Punditry is easy. Even I can do it. "England are crap and should play better"......

Well this is what i was thinking......Trott now seems to have been made the villain ..a player who although not depressed etc was though suffering mentally as well as physically......we have Mr Swann who decides to pack up playinghalfway through a tour and join the media set...not much being said about him by Mr Vaughan

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Trott has a history of burnt outs probably due to the intensity of his personality and approach. He will not walk back into the team, he will have to earn a place and then manage himself properly.

Do England need Trott more than Trott needs England ?

Like so many 'special' talents there are 'special' needs.

I am not particularly pro Trott but I am anti pundit. They are paid a shed load of money for largely stating the obvious and often at the expense of current players. I just wonder what Boycott the pundit would have made of Boycott the player ?

Seems the sensible approach

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
At various times cricket players, particularly, suffer from lapses of form/burnout/stress whatever you call it. Some more severe than others. If I recall that it even happened to Graham Thorpe as well as many others. Trott should get another chance if he can cut it in the domestic game and scores the runs required.

From now on it will be very hard going for him as every time he walks out to the wicket I'm sure the close catchers will remind him in spades of what happened in Oz. If he can overcome all that and get his form back then pick him again.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

This. I enjoyed watching Vaughan bat but he is hugely overrated as a captain/expert (not least by himself). I'd go so far as to say he is now coming across as something of a ****.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This. I enjoyed watching Vaughan bat but he is hugely overrated as a captain/expert (not least by himself). I'd go so far as to say he is now coming across as something of a ****.

Now that is just ridiculous. Vaughan was a superb captain. Got the best out of some seriously average players, not least the likes of Geraint Jones and Ashley Giles. He was the opposite to Cook and even Strauss's captaincy by numbers, Vaughan was instinctive, understood the key moments in games, would set fields which had everyone scratching their heads but invariably bought England a wicket. He micro managed players, got them playing for each other and captained to their strengths. Superb leader, and massively underrated as a captain as posts like yours confirms.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Now that is just ridiculous. Vaughan was a superb captain. Got the best out of some seriously average players, not least the likes of Geraint Jones and Ashley Giles. He was the opposite to Cook and even Strauss's captaincy by numbers, Vaughan was instinctive, understood the key moments in games, would set fields which had everyone scratching their heads but invariably bought England a wicket. He micro managed players, got them playing for each other and captained to their strengths. Superb leader, and massively underrated as a captain as posts like yours confirms.

100% agreed on Vaughan. I still think he's coming across like a bit of a **** though, it's like a game of depression top trumps - my Trescothick beats your Trott. It all amounts to the same thing I think, I just don't think Trott is as ready to admit to it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here