Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion interested in Cardiff Striker Joe Mason

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Oscar is head COACH. He coaches the players. He also gets the final YES/NO decision on any players recruited

Gus is head coach at Sunderland.

Sunderland are after Bridcutt.

So you're saying, Sunderland went for Bridcutt and it wasn't influence by Gus...seeing as he's ONLY the Head COACH?

Or is that different....

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
You think Oscar Garcia, whilst managing MACCABI, knew of the talents of

Leroy Lita
Craig Conway
Keith Andrews
Joe Mason

:lolol:

Tbf, there was a quote from either Barber or Burke (I forget which) that Oscar arrived for his interview with a research dossier he'd compiled on our squad profiling our strengths and weaknesses, and a list of potential targets, and that his knowledge of the English leagues was very good. They said his preparation and knowledge was one of the things that impressed them most.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Que sera sera,
Whatever will be will be.
Personally I trust a well run football club to do its best to do good business, whether it is trying to hang on to players who have had their heads "turned", or selling a current asset and seeking to replace him with someone who could turn out to be better. There will be to all these comings and goings (if any of them materialise) than we will ever know.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Tbf, there was a quote from either Barber or Burke (I forget which) that Oscar arrived for his interview with a research dossier he'd compiled on our squad profiling our strengths and weaknesses, and a list of potential targets, and that his knowledge of the English leagues was very good. They said his preparation and knowledge was one of the things that impressed them most.

That's completely fair and nice to hear.

But I just can't bring myself to believe he walked through the door and said "What we REALLY need is that Keith Andrews and Leroy Lita"...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That might be, but when the list of offerings is of pony players it leaves him with little option. If Obika and Mason are the top players on the list I'd love to know who wasn't up to scratch?

Its down to lots of criteria. How available is the player, wages, what are they like away from the club, contract status etc. Think we also use elements of Pro-zone against the player information we gather to look at targets.

You do realise I'm not criticising him, right?

I'm just laughing at how NON oscar this deals currently are. If they work then I couldn't care less.

Sure. But its no different to us not signing ANY Uruguyuan when Gus was in charge.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
That might be, but when the list of offerings is of pony players it leaves him with little option. If Obika and Mason are the top players on the list I'd love to know who wasn't up to scratch?

Manchester City probably have a few world-class strikers they are looking to loan out to get playing time. And Juan Mata seems to be available as well. Why not aim really high.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

I didn't know that, interesting indeed!

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
With regards to the Gus scenario.........Every club has to work within their financial restrictions, i would imagine players like Bridcutt and Buckley fall within that for Sunderland i.e. cheaper than the equivalent players proven in those positions at that level. I'm sure OG has a chance to recommend any of his former players as well, maybe they are too expensive or not good enough. Burke and Bloom have both stressed that OG has a full say in the players that come in. If the players recommended can fit into the way Oscar wants to play, whats the problem? How many duffers have we had this season apart from Lita not playing as Barnes was doing well. All of them have shown good promise. The system is working as far as i can see.

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
That's completely fair and nice to hear.

But I just can't bring myself to believe he walked through the door and said "What we REALLY need is that Keith Andrews and Leroy Lita"...

If Oscar hadn't heard of Keith Andrews I'd be disappointed. Played at the European Championships, plenty of top flight experience.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Why not? There are probably a lot of players he knows about in a variety of leagues around the world via his scouts reports, watching games and via other contacts. I think it is very naive to assume he only knows about players in the one place he works in.

But Leroy Lita? Please.

He's been off the radar for about 3 years.

Him barely touching the ball would suggest he was never OG's first choice.

Again, I'm not criticising him as he came into a ridiculous situation and had to go with what Burke presented but there is a difference between knowing prem players and knowing Championship SQUAD players. These aren't even shining lights in the Championship (again, not a dig at the players, just realism)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If Oscar hadn't heard of Keith Andrews I'd be disappointed. Played at the European Championships, plenty of top flight experience.

He may have heard of him but you can't honestly tell me he had the name "andrews" on his list of players when asked who interests him.

People seem very defensive of something thats not even a criticism. Burke admitted himself that they target the players. Especially in a summer where OG came in very late, he was never going to choose his own players.

We went for bodies, and bodies which we knew we could get in realitevely easy. See Leroy.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Go on then, describe a typical Oscar signing then? Though I am expecting a generic response of "some flair Spaniard probably from Barcelona B"

I'd like to think a 'typical' Oscar signing would be getting a player that he wants, not a journeyman, cast off or reserve looking for experience, but a player Oscar has highlighted as being someone he wants.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'd like to think a 'typical' Oscar signing would be getting a player that he wants, not a journeyman, cast off or reserve looking for experience, but a player Oscar has highlighted as being someone he wants.

Indeed.

Thank GOD someone actually understands.

How can you HONESTLY believe these are his signings. That these were people HE targetted. Of course they wern't.

But again, if they do a job then I don't care. David Burke could be a genius at recruitment.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Indeed.

Thank GOD someone actually understands.

How can you HONESTLY believe these are his signings. That these were people HE targetted. Of course they wern't.

But again, if they do a job then I don't care. David Burke could be a genius at recruitment.

Who said, or pretended they are 'his signings' and why do they need to be 'his signings'.

A bunch of un-known Barca or Barca B youngsters, are going to be extremely risky for the club. Foreign country, foreign language, have to settle into a hotel, then move into a house/flat whatever, and try and perform in an intense league to gain promotion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here