Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rafa Benitez?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
What are his options in England?

There's no vacancy at Liverpool or Man Utd. Chelsea don't want him. Spurs or Arsenal are both out. Man City look like they've found their man. Newcastle probably can't afford to sack Pardew and free up a realistic transfer kitty to build a new squad. Lambert looks like he'll hang on at Villa. Everton would be awkward.

So that just leaves the middling sides and the stragglers ... maybe not the kind of opportunities to set Rafa's pulse racing.

But coming to an ambitious championship club, playing to the biggest crowds in the league, with a smattering of Spanish-speaking players on the books ... you'd like to think he'd at least consider it.

Don't think for one minute he's coming here, but on paper it's not quite as bizarre as it might look, especially if he's interested in a "project".

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Well thought out and to a degree I agree with you. Although to tempt Rafa there needs to be a project of not only to get PL but also to stay there. This inevitably would cost money. Not saying that Bloom doesnt have the funds, but will FFP allow it? Gone are the days where clubs can just throw money in bringing in better and more costly players and rack up debts in the process. Clubs will have to live within their means which mi mean either no new players or at least cheaper ones. Something Gus couldn't get his head around.

What are his options in England?

There's no vacancy at Liverpool or Man Utd. Chelsea don't want him. Spurs or Arsenal are both out. Man City look like they've found their man. Newcastle probably can't afford to sack Pardew and free up a realistic transfer kitty to build a new squad. Lambert looks like he'll hang on at Villa. Everton would be awkward.

So that just leaves the middling sides and the stragglers ... maybe not the kind of opportunities to set Rafa's pulse racing.

But coming to an ambitious championship club, playing to the biggest crowds in the league, with a smattering of Spanish-speaking players on the books ... you'd like to think he'd at least consider it.

Don't think for one minute he's coming here, but on paper it's not quite as bizarre as it might look, especially if he's interested in a "project".

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we thought Poyet was wanting a bigger budget..........!!!!

I have no idea but who did he bring in for Chelsea. I was under the impression he just got on with what he had, which was obviously very good.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Would imagine Benitez would be a contender for the Malaga job once Pellegrini goes to Man City.

In terms of jobs in England, he still hankers after another go at managing Liverpool, but that seat won't become available in the short term. Newcastle would be one place where you could see him doing a decent job, but it would depend on Newcastle's ability to pay off Pardew. I read something the other week that said there was some sort of clause that meant Newcastle could get round paying him full compensation if they terminated his contract.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Pardew has a maximum release fee clause of approx a years wages in his contract they won't have to pay it in full. I think Benitez would be a good match at Newcastle.

Anyone who thinks he's coming here is a bit silly IMHO but its nice to want things.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think Benitez is fanciful talk, but large Spanish contingent, getting a team into then established in the PL could bean attractive challenge. I very much doubt it though, he is a multi cup, title, European trophy winning manager - he also thinks he's the best manager around, so Championship won't even be on his radar.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...he also thinks he's the best manager around, so Championship won't even be on his radar.

there in lies the truth. and why we wont be realistically looking at RDM, Martinez etc. we would be a step down for all top managers, which they aren't going to take.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
What a load of pamplinas. We now think we're so huge, just because of a couple of seasons of big crowds, that we could lure the europa league cup winner here, paying him a few hundred grand a season with a budget of about £5m if we make our pie ingredients even cheaper. That is well stupid. We have to be ambitious of course, but not insanely unrealistic in what we think we can get at the level we currently are.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
what a load of pamplinas. We now think we're so huge, just because of a couple of seasons of big crowds, that we could lure the europa league cup winner here, paying him a few hundred grand a season with a budget of about £5m if we make our pie ingredients even cheaper. That is well stupid. We have to be ambitious of course, but not insanely unrealistic in what we think we can get at the level we currently are.

build it and they will come

What a load of pamplinas. We now think we're so huge, just because of a couple of seasons of big crowds, that we could lure the europa league cup winner here, paying him a few hundred grand a season with a budget of about £5m if we make our pie ingredients even cheaper. That is well stupid. We have to be ambitious of course, but not insanely unrealistic in what we think we can get at the level we currently are.

Oh dear, you have taken this far too seriously haven't you? From your comments above, I take it that ambition is not one of your fortes!The Rafa Benitez thing was said slightly tongue in cheek but I have to say that it is not totally unrealistic that a premiership manager would want to come and manage our great club. Would I take Benitez if he wants a 'project', yes. Reality of him coming here, probably not. However, and this is not deluded by any means, we are moving in the right direction and we have much to offer any top class manager who wants to build his own dynasty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here