Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rafa Benitez?

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
He did a great job at Chelsea, managing all those egos, a team built and signed by previous managers, poisonous atmosphere from the Chelsea fans. That team was struggling big time, he motivated them even though they all knew he was only there for the short term. To say he only achieved 'par' is absurd in my humble opinion. I'd be overjoyed if he came to the Albion (can't see it happening mind) he'd be my dream(y) choice.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
if this comes off I would expect a massive apology...if it doesnt my sauce gets a kicking!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Only Chelsea fans I imagine, just like the when he was there.

What more could Rafa have achieved? Title was out of reach by the time he'd pulled it around.

I'm not saying he could've achieved more - just that what he did was about right for a team of Chelsea's size. People are acting as if he's performed miracles. You would say 3rd and a minor cup win is about right for them, no?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Because no one else has taken it seriously - Man Utd and Man City always drop out of it as soon as possible.

My point is people are acting as if he has been a massive success, when really all he's done is about par for a club of Chelsea's size.

It's actually a hindrance as well for top teams by having to play on a Thursday, look at teams who have struggled the following season by being in that competition.

Benitez has rotated the squad successfully whilst keeping them playing well in the Premier league on a Saturday.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
For the record I would be happy with Rafa as our manager, in case anyone thinks I have some one-eyed hatred of him or anything.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
I heard this from somebody at the club as well that he is on the radar, whether we can afford him is another matter

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
please stop the nonsence. yesturday he ruled out Everton and said there aren't many jobs at top English clubs, his preference, so will wait a bit or look abroad.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
please stop the nonsence. yesturday he ruled out Everton and said there aren't many jobs at top English clubs, his preference, so will wait a bit or look abroad.

The clue may be in the word "many". Apart from Chelsea and City, who apparently already have someone other than Benitez lined up, there are NO top jobs available, if you discount Everton.

Could we be considered a top job by virtue of potential

Now where are those straws

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Because no one else has taken it seriously - Man Utd and Man City always drop out of it as soon as possible.

My point is people are acting as if he has been a massive success, when really all he's done is about par for a club of Chelsea's size.

No, Man Utd were overwhelmingly whipped by two stunning Athletic Bilbao performances last season. There was nothing they could do against a vastly superior opposition.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Come on Granny, I hope this isnt some kind of wind up. I know we got Vicente, which at the time also seemed ridiculous, but he was a deemed by many as a washed up footballer. Benitez is nothing of the sort. He can walk into most jobs. Ok, he wont get the top 4 or 5 positions in England and his beloved Liverpool is out of reach just yet. But surely when he talks about a project, he is referring to something more than Brighton. We might think we are a project, but so do any club trying to get into PL or stay in the PL and maybe get into Europe.

He could wait awhile and see the PL manager merry go round in October for a decent PL side to resurrect. Maybe Sunderland, Newcastle or any other club struggling. All he wants at the moment is to keep his CV ticking over until a Plum job for him comes along. Then of course there are many jobs in Europe he could take over.

I dont recall you ever making anything up as fanciful as this , so I hope your sauce isnt stringing you along. Maybe you could shed some more details?

If on the other hand it does come off, then yes I will make a massive apology

if this comes off I would expect a massive apology...if it doesnt my sauce gets a kicking!

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
No, Man Utd were overwhelmingly whipped by two stunning Athletic Bilbao performances last season. There was nothing they could do against a vastly superior opposition.

Yup, and one of the chief architects of United's downfall in those matches, Javi Martinez, got a big move to Bayern Munich off the back of his performances and has been instrumental in Bayern's run to the Champions League final this season.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Well thought out and to a degree I agree with you. Although to tempt Rafa there needs to be a project of not only to get PL but also to stay there. This inevitably would cost money. Not saying that Bloom doesnt have the funds, but will FFP allow it? Gone are the days where clubs can just throw money in bringing in better and more costly players and rack up debts in the process. Clubs will have to live within their means which mi mean either no new players or at least cheaper ones. Something Gus couldn't get his head around.

I was given to understand that FFP doesn't apply to the Premiership? So I we got promoted the £120m that was being quoted as "the prize" would surely be enough if spent wisely? To keep us up.

Some FFP info here. http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/resources/wsc0001.pdf

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here