Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things that SCARED you when you were young[er]

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption

Also use to have nightmares about the witch Eucalypta in the dutch kids show 'Paulus The Wood Gnome'

I was just researching that on Google before I read your post!! That program used to scare the friggin bejesus out of me in the early 70s when I would have been about 4-6 yrs old! My older brother and sister used to tease me and I would hide behind the sofa crying! Found it on YouTube, still bloody creepy!

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Grace Jones, and the Scotch Video Skeleton (re-record not fade away!!)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I googled it, something along the lines of " kids programme 1970's weird sound in cave".

You're clearly a more savvy Googler than me. Thanks.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Those "Public information films" that we were shown in primary school.

The ones that stick in my mind, still, were "Ten Little Indians" about the children meeting grim demises whilst larking about on a farm (drinking pesticde / crushed beneath hay bales / drowning in slurry / mutilated beyond all recognition by a PTO shaft etc); and the one about being lured into drowning in deep water by a sinister Grim Reaper type figure... shudder.

Also, as a small boy growing up in the heart of rural Sussex I was strangley concerned about the IRA, and had to check under my bed every night in case a balaclavared terrorist was hiding under there.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
This *******...
27087272.jpg

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
a Public information clip about playing on Train Track's bodies of Kid's carried out of a tunnel and layed by the tracks.

That's the one that scared the living crap out of me. "The Finishing Line". Also kids running across the line mowed down, passengers and driver hit by stones through windows etc. Still pretty unsettling I would say. Just the way they collect the dead and injured kids and the tannoy calmly gives the score and announces the next event. You'd have to be psycho to tresspass on the railway after seeing that at age 10.

That's the one that scared the living crap out of me. "The Finishing Line". Also kids running across the line mowed down, passengers and driver hit by stones through windows etc. Still pretty unsettling I would say. Just the way they collect the dead and injured kids and the tannoy calmly gives the score and announces the next event. You'd have to be psycho to tresspass on the railway after seeing that at age 10.

Shit me, I've been terrified of railway lines since I was a kid, about 6 or 7 years old and really thought I dreamt that.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Jimmy Savile, Gary Glitter and Jonathon King always gave me the willies

Country Seagull

Jan 11, 2013
Weirdly, the ident for 'The Video Collection':

I had many a video with that on as a kid, and for some reason it scared the pants off me. Still makes me feel uncomfortable to watch it, even now.

No idea why.

That's strange because I distinctly remember being very scared of the later VCI indent as a kid

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The words "wait until your father comes home".

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Sooty - Honestly. Why did he never speak?

chrissyboy01

Sep 24, 2011
The Thin Man from 'The Boy From Space' and The Master from Dr Who are two that spring to mind straight away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here