Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Funding NSC through 2013 and beyond: a discussion.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
As per the "sticky" at the top of the board, the hosting bill for NSC is c£550 / month.

At present this is (was) covered by, amongst other things, Google Ads banners. However, because some content on the Big Board is unsuitable for Google they have pulled the banners until such time as NSC is sanitised to a level that they (Google) deem acceptable.

NSC needs to be funded to the tune of £500 - £600 / month; something will have to change -so for me, the question is this:

Should NSC stick to external funding and accept the compromises / uncertainty that that inevitably brings? Or should NSC forgo external funding and instead implement an annual fee (£10?) that grants members posting rights and accept the compromises that that inevitably brings?

Or perhaps something else all together?

Jimmy Grimble

Would certainly be one way to keep a fair few trolls off the site. Not sure I'd advocate it though.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I'd much rather have reduced levels of moderation and pay a small annual or monthly fee to access the website (ad-free). No idea what uptake would be like though.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The problem with a subscription service is that it will put some people off and potentially reduce the breadth of views and opinions. Also, if someone has paid belong to the board, it would produce conflict should they need to be banned.

I'm not sure what caused the latest Google paddy but we just need to be thoughtful about what we post. That said it's somewhat hypocritical of Google to complain about content on NSC given the type of adverts they publish !

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
i would pay 20 quid a year to stop all the palace drivel,and have it in separate area,

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I'd suggest archiving off anything from a fixed point in time, perhaps to be hosted elsewhere for viewing only. Would that clear up enough to reduce the monthly costs?

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I rarely post, but would be happy to pay a small amount per year to keep this site free from the ads, over-moderation to comply with said sponsors and retain it's anarchic, though informative content. Indeed, I do so on several other forums and the level of contributions is surprisingly generous as it is done on a voluntary basis.
Nothing worse than sanitizing something to death that brings equal amounts of pleasure and pain, for the sake of a few quid a year. Bring it on.
Oh, Palace fans pay double.:cool:

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I think that if you make people pay then it will reduce this site to maybe 100 members. It'll be even more boring that Seagull Chat!!!

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I think that if you make people pay then it will reduce this site to maybe 100 members. It'll be even more boring that Seagull Chat!!!

I have no idea how to start a poll, but why not set one up and see how many would be in favour? As I said earlier, it works on other forums even on a voluntary basis.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here