Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Just watching the breakaway decend at the momment on the Giro coverage, reminded me about two years ago we tried to cycle up the Aubisque but got stopped half way as the roads are narrow and they did not want too many bikes up the top (would never have made it anyway).

So we watched a Cat One decent for the first time and it lives with me, Bradley Wiggens came down like a bat out of hell and the technical ability and sheer crazyness required is unbelivable especially when they ride nose to tail, awsome.

I did the Junior Tour of Austria in 1998 and got dropped on the climb. I knew I the only chance I had to get back on was on the descent as the race had been doing 50km/h on the flat all day. I decided that if everyone else could go that fast downhill then so could I - I think I had a nice brown streak in my chamois after that one. My computer had a maximum speed of 70mph! I suppose that's no surprise knowing what I know now as there was Cancellara, Boonen, Eisel and Pozzato in the field.

The worst bit was, as we hit the flat the whole team car line had stopped and the front rider didn't see it - I looked across to see this German kid go through the back of a stationary Volvo at 40mph and end up between the driver and passenger seat. Apparently he was in hospital for a month; still one of the most horrific things i've seen in real life.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just watching the breakaway decend at the momment on the Giro coverage, reminded me about two years ago we tried to cycle up the Aubisque but got stopped half way as the roads are narrow and they did not want too many bikes up the top (would never have made it anyway).

So we watched a Cat One decent for the first time and it lives with me, Bradley Wiggens came down like a bat out of hell and the technical ability and sheer crazyness required is unbelivable especially when they ride nose to tail, awsome.
Did you see G's tweet, the other day, words to the effect of:-
'was doing 95kph looked to Stannard on my left, he was the happiest he'd been all tour'.
Loonies.

49.1 mph down Coldean Lane, is my PB.

I don't know how they do it, nose to tail, like that.
I think comparatively speaking I'd be ok, on the front.
But there is no way I could do it in formation.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I did the Junior Tour of Austria in 1998 and got dropped on the climb. I knew I the only chance I had to get back on was on the descent as the race had been doing 50km/h on the flat all day. I decided that if everyone else could go that fast downhill then so could I - I think I had a nice brown streak in my chamois after that one. My computer had a maximum speed of 70mph!

The worst bit was, as we hit the flat the whole team car line had stopped and the front rider didn't see it - I looked across to see this German kid go through the back of a stationary Volvo at 40mph and end up between the driver and passenger seat. Apparently he was in hospital for a month; still one of the most horrific things i've seen in real life.
Blimey 70mph :ohmy: chapeau.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
My best is 55mph down High 'n' Over (from Seaford towards Alfriston). Could have gone faster but I'd only had the bike a couple of days and was still feeling it out.

That was followed with 8mph up the other side the hill. :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The last bit was like a ski jump - steep and dead straight.
Duncton Hill would be a VERY mini version of that.
Except for the tight 180 degree bend at the bottom, the gits.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I thought the last lump might sort out the men from the sprinters, but not while they're pootling along, like this.
I guess they deserve a stage after what's happened and what's coming.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Dirty cheating Italian Wanker won. He shouldn't even be racing. Scummy bastard!

/rant
I believe that will be the headline in tomorrows Gazzetta dello Sport

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Scummy bastardo :lol:

I just noticed The UK Cycling Tour Series, highlights are on ITV4, tonight at 10.

I'm sure 1066 will be watching! (in fairness I probably will)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here