Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
For tomorrow I'm think more spring classic than outright sprint.
Hence a day for Frank, not that I could fit him in.

I hope so, good chance of breaks off the front. I've had to hedge my bets good and proper for tomorrow now. If it does goes to an outright sprint I'll certainly be dipping out on the big points.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I got around to watching The Flying Scotsman last night. I think it has helped win the OH around to cycling a little more. Very good film, IMO.

Also just finished reading David Millar's book. Now that is a very good book.

Onto today's stage. I'm using today as part of my plan to build a strong team for the high mountains. No doubt the plan will backfire on me, but worth a try.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I watched it last week.
I was sure I'd seen it before, but obviously not.

I really enjoyed it, JLM looked creditable as Obree which helps.
I'm left with a bit of a dilemma now.
Merckx by Fothers, was going to be my Tour accompanying book, but now I want to read TFScotman.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I've been so blinkered by possible stage winners and GC points, I completely forgot about [MENTION=12656]Pantani[/MENTION]'s rule #1.

Hoover up ALL the jersey points.

So that's what I'm after tomorrow, although I am expecting a bit of a reaction from Frank Schleck, not that he's in my team.

I've forgotten that a little this time around. I've found it very difficult to get certain riders out of my team as I keep chasing the win, so my two transfers each day have been with picking the winner in mind. So far I have not had the mountains jersey holder once, which is clearly a mistake on my part.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I watched it last week.
I was sure I'd seen it before, but obviously not.

I really enjoyed it, JLM looked creditable as Obree which helps.
I'm left with a bit of a dilemma now.
Merckx by Fothers, was going to be my Tour accompanying book, but now I want to read TFScotman.

My Dad is very good mates with Will Fotheringham and apparently Merckx really fell out with him over the book. Haven't read it yet but sounds like it might have some unique insights in it; Merckx was very open before deciding he didn't want some stuff in it (I think it centres around his family and WWII.

Millar's book is good, I understand some of his thought processes when he doped (although I identify more with Kimmage).

I'm planning on getting into Fignon's book soon, meant to be excellent.

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
I'm planning on getting into Fignon's book soon, meant to be excellent.

It's a great book.

I picked up John Wilcokson's book about Lance Armstrong in a discount bookshop - its a great read particuarly the insight into his childhood upbringing. Deffo worth the 99p!

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
This Giro - call me old fashioned but I know the Giro organization like to spice up almost every stage but I do like me grand tours to start with a few long flat stages - ultimately doomed breakaways - a chasedown culminating in a bunch sprint. This years has got no 'structure' to it whatsoever

Its sort of nice not to see any of the main contenders until week 2

Anyone else?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
We read loads of cycling books especially when we are away watvhing the TDF.

The Hour by Michael Hutchinson is very good, someone bought me a copy last month as a present and as I already have it I will happily post it on to anyone on here who wants to read it. I have never seen an atempt on the hour and imagine its a surreal experience for the specator. Its a really good read and discusses the history around Hutchinsons own atempt.

I was also bought The Rider by Tim Krabbe which I am looking forward to reading although still have the Ned Boulting one to read saving that for the TDF this year

French Revolutions is a brilliant read but anything by the Yellow Jersey publishing company is worth reading

YELLOW JERSEY CYCLING CLASSICS - Vintage Books

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Double post

Might as well put todays Giro stage up, hoping to catch the end, excellent race so far cycling news report:

Stage Eleven - Tuesday 16 May

Assisi-Montecatini Terme

243 kilometres, flat stage

Bluffers guide: Montecatini is not only Italy’s most famous spa town, but a real bike racing stronghold. The likes of Nibali and Visconti live within a stone’s throw, and the region is a magnet for cyclists. Mario Cipollini won his 42nd (and final) stage here in 2003, besting Alessandro Petacchi in an unforgettable sprint. Back in 1969 Eddy Merckx won a road stage here on the first Monday of the race, then time trialled around the town to win again the following day. He continued to dominate the Giro until they threw him off the race on stage seventeen for you know what…

Buon appetito: Like many Tuscan dishes, Trippa alla fiorentina (tripe cooked with vegetables) utilizes ingredients which, elsewhere, would be thrown away. Tuscan food is famed for its simplicity, and the resourcefulness of those who prepare it. Tuscan culinary custom has it that nothing goes to waste, and here more than anywhere they hold fast to age-old traditions.

Local hero: Mark Cavendish (Team Sky) – No, that’s not a misprint. If he’s still in the race the Manx Missile will know the road to Montecatini as well as almost anyone in the field. Cavendish spends much of the racing season in Quarrata, just a short ride away.

Bergonzi says: “Half way through the Giro, and the longest stage. It’s a natural punctuation mark, time to take stock of where the race is. You might find that somebody amongst the original GC contenders has blown it, and will try an attack on the climbs mid-stage.”

Attachments

• Stage 11.jpg
    Stage 11.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Tom Leezer has withdrawn. Down to 189 riders now.

Back on the book side of things... Just downloaded Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder via there Android Kindle app. A whole 77p, so I haven't wasted much if it is dross. :lolol:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This Giro - call me old fashioned but I know the Giro organization like to spice up almost every stage but I do like me grand tours to start with a few long flat stages - ultimately doomed breakaways - a chasedown culminating in a bunch sprint. This years has got no 'structure' to it whatsoever

Its sort of nice not to see any of the main contenders until week 2

Anyone else?
OMG this could be our first ever cycling binfest (Other than when I called [MENTION=2878]Woodchip[/MENTION] a big gay goose)

I don't think you could be more wrong, Stoichy.
Growing up with Indurain, and having that beasting taken on a step further by Lance, was getting close to ripping the heart out of Le Tour.
The predictable nature of Le Tour, Prologue - 5 flat -1 TTT - 3 mountains - 5 flatish - 3 mountain - 1 flat - TT - then parade, was so boring.
I'm loving the new life Prudhomme has breathed into Le Tour and where that goes The Giro & Vuelta have to follow.
A nice conservative tour this year, due to the Olympics means next year will be on a great parcours.
Starting at the top of Alpe d'huez. :lol:

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
OMG this could be our first ever cycling binfest (Other than when I called [MENTION=2878]Woodchip[/MENTION] a big gay goose)

I don't think you could be more wrong, Stoichy.
Growing up with Indurain, and having that beasting taken on a step further by Lance, was getting close to ripping the heart out of Le Tour.
The predictable nature of Le Tour, Prologue - 5 flat -1 TTT - 3 mountains - 5 flatish - 3 mountain - 1 flat - TT - then parade, was so boring.
I'm loving the new life Prudhomme has breathed into Le Tour and where that goes The Giro & Vuelta have to follow.
A nice conservative tour this year, due to the Olympics means next year will be on a great parcours.
Starting at the top of Alpe d'huez. :lol:

I'm happy with the Tour having a layout that Stat has mentioned, though it is usually mixed up a bit more than that. However, the Giro is a different beast and the whole point is to have the Grand Tours differ from each other in their character.

I would, however, like to see the middle Tour stages have more successful breaks. That may be something to do with the lack of EPO-driven 5 hour breaks at 45km/h by 1/2 riders!

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Will we ever see an ITT from the top of Alpe d'Huez going to the bottom then with about a 5k flatish run in?

That would make awesome TV.

P.S. I love my granny ring. :lolol:

I have cycled down Alpe d'Huez but not up (Mountain bike ski lifts)

Absolutly terrifying - my hands hurt from breaking - I cacked my cycling pants - nuff said

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm happy with the Tour having a layout that Stat has mentioned, though it is usually mixed up a bit more than that.
Urmmm I wasn't being complimentary.

Oh and Boaro in the break today, :thumbsup:

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Just watching the breakaway decend at the momment on the Giro coverage, reminded me about two years ago we tried to cycle up the Aubisque but got stopped half way as the roads are narrow and they did not want too many bikes up the top (would never have made it anyway).

So we watched a Cat One decent for the first time and it lives with me, Bradley Wiggens came down like a bat out of hell and the technical ability and sheer crazyness required is unbelivable especially when they ride nose to tail, awsome.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here