Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Football Manager 2010 Career Thread

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
On last years one I was West Brom, and kept them up, found it so much more enjoyable.

I have only just literally started it, recommend any players?

I'm only now entering August, so have only had friendlies so far. Not sure what the budget is at Birmingham, but im struggling with a transfer budget of £5.9 million. So far have signed Carlton Cole for £1.2m plus a £2million rated right back who's name escapes me, and he's looked pretty hot in the friendlies, and was shocked how cheap he was. Took Zenden on trial, and he got motm in a couple of frienlies, before buggering off to Fc groningen! Just finalised terms with steven taylor (newcastle) with a lot of the £4.5million fee being paid of over 18 months.
Would recommend all 3, as likely to sign for Birmingham as they are for wolves, and presume Brum have a higher budget?

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
I'm only now entering August, so have only had friendlies so far. Not sure what the budget is at Birmingham, but im struggling with a transfer budget of £5.9 million. So far have signed Carlton Cole for £1.2m plus a £2million rated right back who's name escapes me, and he's looked pretty hot in the friendlies, and was shocked how cheap he was. Took Zenden on trial, and he got motm in a couple of frienlies, before buggering off to Fc groningen! Just finalised terms with steven taylor (newcastle) with a lot of the £4.5million fee being paid of over 18 months.
Would recommend all 3, as likely to sign for Birmingham as they are for wolves, and presume Brum have a higher budget?

Many thanks, I get £6 million to avoid relegation. Not too bad I suppose.

24/09/08

Jan 19, 2009
BN1
just started a new season with Brighton.
any players you recommend for me to sign?

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
just started a new season with Brighton.
any players you recommend for me to sign?

Get Stefanovic and Misfud in asap on free transfers. I also got Olivier Bernard who has been brilliant so far. Try and and get Ricketts if you can - I failed

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Football Manager Handheld - Promoted in the first season
Second season lost in playoff finals
Third seson gunning for promotion

Sugar daddy unlocked, Workpermits not required unlocked, no transfer window unlocked and No transfer windows unlocked, this is my second game. Going to try a third later tonight from the start. Ad keep a log of who is sold, and who is brought.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
After my success in the demo version, I've finally got my hands on the retail version patched to version 10.1. I am frickin' excited. It's almost making my pharyngitis and chest infection sickness time off worthwhile :bla:

Anyway, here's my usual needlessly detailed run-down of proceedings, and let's see how I get on.

OPTIONS:

Generally default - player masking enabled. Using real players and real fixtures. Large database - 44,000 players.

Leagues selected;

England - Blue Square Premier and above
Top leagues only in; Denmark, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Norway, Portugal, Scotland, Spain, Sweden, USA

Starting as :albion2::albion2::albion2: in England July 2009 set as "Automatic" on past experience.

DATE:

01/01/2010

PRESEASON:

QPR (H) 0-0
Sheff Weds (H) 0-2
Worthing (A) 4-0 (Mifsud 2, Smith, Wright)
Chester (A) 2-2 (A. Davies, Forster)

After this quite disappointing start (albeit while rotating players) I reconsidered my tactics. I realised my forwards simply weren't good enough and Dickinson wasn't cutting it as a target man. A change of formation into a modified 4-5-1/4-3-3 (see below) paid huge dividends. As always, if a tactic isn't working - change it!!

Bognor Regis (A) 5-0 (Thornhill 2, Mitea, Mifsud, Tunnicliffe)
Barnsley (H) 3-0 (A. Davies, Crofts, Topp)

LEAGUE:

cocacolaleague1.png

CUP COMPETITIONS:

League Cup First Round
Millwall (H) 0-2 - ten changes from the side which played the opening league fixture, only captain Mettomo keeps his place. A good performance but the board disappointed with early exit.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy S First Round
Wycombe (A) 1-1 (Topp) - Wycombe win 3-1 on pens - eleven changes for this defeat in front of 1818 supporters.

FA Cup First Round
Stevenage (H) 3-0 (Crofts, Storbæk, Dickinson)

FA Cup Second Round
Southampton (H) 1-0 (Mifsud)

FA Cup Third Round
Birmingham (A)

AUGUST TRANSFER WINDOW TRANSFERS 'TIL PRESENT:

IN:

Mamadou Seck - Unattached
Michael Mifsud - Unattached
Jean-Joel Perrier-Doumbe - Unattached
Lucien Mettomo - Unattached
Jason Beardsley - Unattached
Pelé - Unattached
Jay Emmanuel-Thomas - Arsenal (Loan, end of season, parent club)
Nicolae Mitea - Unattached
Febian Brandy - Manchester Utd (Loan, end of season)
Willy Topp - Unattached
Rohan Ricketts - Unattached
Håvard Storbæk - Odd Grenland (£160k)
Grzegorz Szamotulski - Unattached
Délis Ahou - Unattached
Phillipe Christanval (Scout) - Unattached

OUT:

Josh Pelling - Stevenage (Loan - end of season)
Mitch Walker - Crawley (Loan - end of season)
Steve Cook - Luton (Loan - end of season)
David Livermore - Chesterfield (£60k)
Adam El-Abd - Notts Co (£110k)
Lewis Ide - Barnet (Free)
Craig Davies - Gillingham (£60k)
Kevin McLeod - Exeter (£40k)
Glenn Murray - Scunthorpe (£210k)
Gary Hart - Lincoln (£18k)
Colin Hawkins - Tranmere (Free)
Alan Navarro - Released (By mutual consent)
Lewis Dunk - Released
James Smith - Released
George Barker - Released
Leon Redwood - Released
Lee Cooper - Released
Calum Sheriff - Released
Conor Hider - Released
Jamie Strong - Released
Steve Brinkhurst - Wrexham (Free)
Adam Virgo - Notts Co (£210k)
Tommy Elphick - Blackpool (£95k)
Ryan Thomson - Released
Jordan Woodley - Released
Andy Whing - Barnet (£20k)
Connor Wilkins - Released
Dean Cox - Peterborough (£55k)
Tom Godfrey - Released
Dan Bolwell - Released
George Hayward - Released
Josh James - Released
Adie Shaw (Scout) - Motherwell (Assistant Manager) (£40k compensation)
Matt Thornhill - Loan contract ended

TRIALS:

Ciro Immobile - Juventus
Rohan Ricketts - Unattached
Willy Topp - Unattached
Grzegorz Szamotulski - Unattached
Matt Moussilou (twice) - Unattached
Délis Ahou - Unattached
Lars Sutterud - Unattached
Jon-Mikael Skaug - Unattached
Mehran Zareie - Unattached

STRONGEST TEAM:

brightonandhovealbion.png

CONCLUSION:

A good start, and playing with both different tactics, and mostly different signings/sales from when I played the demo..

OTHER NEWS:

Cancelled all existing ties with other clubs, and new feeder team are Eastborough Borough, and new parent club are Arsenal.

Messi footballer of the year.

Something really weird happened. After winning my third manager of the month award, this happened;

"Chris in award shock

Brighton boss Chris has turned his back on his manager of the month award, fearing it will curse the club's current form. Seagulls' excellent run earned Chris the Coca-Coca League 1 nomination for December. However, Chris is aware of the so-called curse that has seen many managers lose the match after receiving the award and has thus decided to reject it"

Except... I didn't. And on the awards screen it's still showing that I won in August, October and December. Does anyone know why this happened - bug?

So far got 7 of the 60 achievements on Steam. Some of them are just plain ridiculous though. It takes me 7 hours to play half a season...

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Right this is really annoying me, why can't I get the arrows to work. Only get the option to be inside forward etc.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Willy Topp won signing of the season for me. 18 goals in 30 odd games :thumbsup:

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Right this is really annoying me, why can't I get the arrows to work. Only get the option to be inside forward etc.

That is because you have the newer tactic settings enabled, to go to the classic version click on tactic where you can change your default formation the menu will drop down then click on convert to classic.
Et voila.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
DATE:

10/04/2010

LEAGUE:

cocacolaleague12.png
[/IMG]

CUP COMPETITIONS:

FA Cup Third Round
Birmingham (A) 2-3 (Mottomo, Mifsud)
Very unlucky to lose to an 86th minute winner, after leading 2-1 at one stage.

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW 'TIL PRESENT

IN:

Jean-Hagues Ateba - La Berrichonne (£16k)
Aurélien Capoue - FC Nantes (Bosman - 01.07.2010)

OUT:

Arron Davies - Loan contract ended (Unfortunately he didn't want to renew - shame, was doing well!)
Mitch Walker - Released
Délis Ahou - Released (Played four games - absolutely shocking. Sent off for two yellows on his debut, av. 6.45, at fault for three goals. Immediately signed for Norwegian Premier Division side Viking)
Josh Pelling - Grays (Free)
Steve Cook - Grays (Free)
Jamie Smith - Livingston (Bosman - 01.07.2010)

TRIALS:

Jean-Hugues Ateba - La Berrichonne
Espen Søgård - Unattached (Rejected a two-year contract with us to join Norwegian Premier Division strugglers Sogndal - I even offered over the terms he requested. Git.)

09/10 LEAGUE ONE CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING STRONGEST TEAM:

brightonandhovealbion2.png

MORE SCREENSHOTS:

brightonandhovealbion3.png

brightonandhovealbion4.png

brightonandhovealbion5.png

charltonvbrighton.png

CONCLUSION:

Started getting a teensy bit bored already. Going to enjoy trying to achieve all the Steam challenges though - a bit of a saving grace for the game really. It's far too easy now.

OTHER NEWS:

Lincoln City of L2 a new feeder club to join Bognor.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
fuckin shitty game, just installed it and was ging to play it for a couple of hours before football training, and then it comes up with some updating nonsense which takes 45 minutes :rant:

Waste of time:angry:

Odd! Have you got steam installed? Maybe started downloading patch one. Should still be able to play tho :/

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Finally got internet connection at my new house Thursday so was able to finally download the game and started last night.

So how's Albion's new manager getting on?

We've played five frinedlies so far:

reserves 2-0
worthing 6-0
bognor 5-0
shrewsbury 5-0
Liecester 1-1

Players in -

Pele
Mitea
Mifsud
David Sanchez (BIG BUY!!!!)
Antwi
Maurice Ross
Bernard
Pepe Pla
Max Noble
Olfers (great player but injury risk)
Rickets
David Jensen

All free except Jensen who cost 5k

Sold - Whing, Virgo, McLeod

And....

oner of my coaches is the ORIGINAL TANK.... Mr Paul Clark himself! I just can't fail!!!:)

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I never manage to get us promoted, am I Jeff Wood in disguise !!

aviaviavioioioi

Sep 29, 2009
Seaford/Brighton
Thought the game was very slow i think you need a powerfull PC to run the game. Did not like it at first but have got into it, found it a lot more difficult than the other FM games. Players i found that are good are kilgallen sheff united and Shaun Maloney putt him up front scores 28 goals a season. I can not find the Editor anyone else had that problem or am i a dumbo.

questier

Apr 16, 2006
Cambridgeshire/Liverpool
For those that are interested...

FM 10 Brighton: Sneaked into the play-offs on the final day of the season. Beat Southend in the semis 1-0 at home, then 2-1 away, but Southampton rinsed me in the final, despite taking the lead through Manchester United loanee Oliver Norwood, we went on to lose 4-2.
Got to the paint pot trophy final too, but lost out to Huddersfield 2-1.

Signings first season: Nicolae Mitea - free transfer, John Bostock - loan, Leigh Griffiths - 900k (scored 19 goals in 20 league appearances) Martin Kelly - loan, Oliver Norwood -loan, Steve Howard - loan.

Out: Hawkins - 12k Bradford, Gary Hart - Lincoln 18k, then loads of the youth/ressies out on loan.

Second season signings: Billy Sharp - 400k, Zak Whitbread - bosman, Arron Davies - free Michael woods - free

Out: Livermore, Mcleod, Dunk, Brinkhurst etc - released. El Abd - 85k Bradford, Jamie Smith - loan to Gillingham, Craig Davies - 70k Chesterfield.

In other news: Got rid of Dean White, made Aidie Shaw my assistant. Trying to get Poyet and Taricco in though....

Just lost to palace 4-3 in a friendly, Sharp (2) and Dean Cox.

Liam Dickinson has been pretty poor so not getting a look in, Nicky Forster was a bit of a revelation last season 23 goals.

Donal McDermott and Robin Shroot are on trial but I doubt I will sign either of them.

Got Chelsea as my feeder club but none of their decent players are interested in coming so might change that.

Currently in pre-season

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Just finished my first season and snuck 2nd place after Leyton Orient lost away at Chartlon last game of the season allowing me to overtake them and take the final automatic promotion spot. Happy Days.

Lost first round of the JPT on pens to Brentford. F.A. Cup lost in the 4th round away at Birmingham. League Cup, knocked out first or second round.

Misfud finished top scorer with 33 in all competitions. Dickinson just behind on 30. Forster a trusty substitute got 20. Vincent Pericard was a great January signing and he scored some crucial goals which helped me win the last 6 games and overtake Orient.

Defense wise Mamadou Seck has proved a useful centre back and Maurice Ross and fantastic right back.

Am planning to sell or release Kuipers/Tunnicliffe/Hawkins/Hart/Navarro/Livermore/Forster and Craig Davies as well as most of the youth players who are turd.

Now to plan for half a dozen or so transfers to get ready for the Championship. Looking for another striker to replace Forster, a quality centre midfielder to partner Crofts who has been awesome with a season average of 7.46, 14 goals and 14 assists, as well as a 3rd winger to rotate with Mitea and Rohan Ricketts (who contributed 22 assists) and a new centre back partnership.

Waiting to see my transfer budget first though!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here