Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Zerbi kicking off

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Tell me then, what did the ref get wrong as I didn’t see anything?
A couple of many incidents i can recall

*The shoulder to shoulder challenge were we won the ball, (Macca?) and their player then fell over and the ref gave Fulham a free kick. (Haaland can shove a player in the back and it's legal, your players can't challenge by fair means without being punished)
*The incident where Estupinan was trying to cut into their penalty area and just before reaching the box their player had hold of him by the neck / throat using a straight arm to lever him over, and the ref gave them a free kick instead
*The time Ferguson was being wrestled by the defender behind him, as he tried to hold up the ball close to the edge of their penalty area in the 1st half, 9twisting his upper body almost through 90 degrees to his right) and nothing (yet see the shoulder to shoulder challenge and also how easily he was awarding free kicks to Fulham throughout the game to them, and very little to us depite their challenges being far worse (as per the 2 above))
The number of times we were fouled, we got no advantage from playing on, but the ref never brought the play back and gave us the free kick
Add in all the deliberate time wasting and their deliberate tactics of feigning injury to distrupt / break up our play (Just like Villa did when we played them)

I could go on........

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

*The shoulder to shoulder challenge were we won the ball, (Macca?) and their player then fell over and the ref gave Fulham a free kick. (Haaland can shove a player in the back and it's legal, your players can't challenge by fair means without being punished)
*The incident where Estupinan was trying to cut into their penalty area and just before reaching the box their player had hold of him by the neck / throat using a straight arm to lever him over, and the ref gave them a free kick instead
*The time Ferguson was being wrestled by the defender behind him, as he tried to hold up the ball close to the edge of their penalty area in the 1st half, 9twisting his upper body almost through 90 degrees to his right) and nothing (yet see the shoulder to shoulder challenge and also how easily he was awarding free kicks to Fulham throughout the game to them, and very little to us depite their challenges being far worse (as per the 2 above))
The number of times we were fouled, we got no advantage from playing on, but the ref never brought the play back and gave us the free kick
Add in all the deliberate time wasting and their deliberate tactics of feigning injury to distrupt / break up our play (Just like Villa did when we played them)

I could go on........
*The aqueduct and sanitation.

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill
Presume he misses one match Stoke? good to see him passionate and calling it for what is was unacceptable reffing - he blew for stoppage when a Fulham player went down the ball was out of play gone for throw in but re-started with drop ball absolute clown of ref
Actually, that's not correct. The Fulham player went down and another Fulham player went to kick it out, but the ball never actually went out of play, stopping before crossing the touchline. Dunky retrieved it.

Therefore absolutely correct to resume with drop ball but should have been to us. Dunky did argue this but ref was having none of it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I could go on........
Very early in the game Caicedo made a hard but fair challenge and came away with ball and the ref gave Fulham a free kick. Caicedo was so pissed off about it that I thought he’d get booked.

I was calling the ref out from very early in the game when we were looking dangerous. The ref was not responsible for us losing but he was encouraging the shitehousery from Fulham by being so weak and naive. He had a truly shite game for the full 90

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Saw this on Twitter

refmap.jpg

There does seem to be a preference for referees to come from particular areas of the country.
Whilst it doesn't indicate anything in itself, it does seem odd, that the vast majority of the "elite" refs in the division, originate from the North of England.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If Fulham fake head injuries five or six times and the ref follows the rules and stop the play, maybe the problem is Fulham rather than the ref.

Maybe its time to realise that pretty much everyone in the Premier League is trying to make it as difficult as possible to officiate games properly and that is the problem that should be dealt with rather than blaming the ref for struggling with dealing with the the 22 cheaters for 90 minutes.

How about if these millionaires take a bit of responsibility. Very cheap to cheat your way through games knowing that you'll get zero blame because everyone will blame the ref instead.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Yeah I agree, we need an overhauling of refereeing and other aspects of the game.

Not going to happen anytime soon though, in the meantime we need to covert our dominance and put games to
If Fulham fake head injuries five or six times and the ref follows the rules and stop the play, maybe the problem is Fulham rather than the ref.

Maybe its time to realise that pretty much everyone in the Premier League is trying to make it as difficult as possible to officiate games properly and that is the problem that should be dealt with rather than blaming the ref for struggling with dealing with the the 22 cheaters for 90 minutes.

How about if these millionaires take a bit of responsibility. Very cheap to cheat your way through games knowing that you'll get zero blame because everyone will blame the ref instead.
Welcome back @Swansman

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

I think the story of yesterday was that (a) Fulham did everything they could to disrupt our play, including multiple conning of the ref with fake head injuries - obviously a pre-planned tactic (akin to Hasenhuttl's fake injuries on 60 minutes to allow team-talks, etc); AND (b) the ref was extremely poor.

Of course, as others have pointed out, if we'd taken a few of our many chances, then it wouldn't have mattered.

Are there any teams in the Premier League (apart from us, of course!) who broadly try to play a "fair" game? Perhaps Brentford?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
While we’re all busy applauding De Zerbi’s passion, we are now without our manager on the touch line for a cup match that could see us through to the quarter-finals. This is… unfortunate.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Saw this on Twitter

View attachment 157288
There does seem to be a preference for referees to come from particular areas of the country.
Whilst it doesn't indicate anything in itself, it does seem odd, that the vast majority of the "elite" refs in the division, originate from the North of England.
They make em hard up there ( and arrogant and thick ) but sometimes very intelligent.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I could go on........
Pereira's high challenge on March, which caught him on the thigh.
March stops, for an obvious foul, ref waves play on.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Agree with the sentiment but teams will do what they can get away with to win. It's literally the ref's job to prevent it and they have the power to do so very easily. So there is still a problem with the refereeing.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Apologies if this point has already been made (I've not read the whole game)

The simple solution to the feigning head injury to get the game stopped is to say anyone with a suspected head injury has to leave the pitch for 5/10 mins for a concussion assessment to be carried out, you can bring on a temp sub in that time, and if the player cannot continue the sub stays on the field and you lose on of the 5 allowed substitutions. Unfortunately the powers that be vetoed that suggestion recently.

I'd also enforce the rule that only the ref can stop the game for injury, play until he whistles, if a team kicks the ball out so a player can get treatment then the gentleman's agreement that the ball is given back is got rid of too. Players reactions mean its obvious when its a serious injury that requires immediate treatment, even the opposition players will stop when it's clear someone is genuinely hurt and signal the benches straight away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here