Zamora

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That's such bullshit. His a better player now then he was in 2003 when he left us.

For the past 12 years his played predominately in the top flight, has played in a European final, scored two playoff winning goals and has 2 caps for England. His game has evolved and his become a great target man able to link play with intelligence and guile.

2003 and before he was more exciting but his first spell at Spurs didn't go well probably because he was a flat track bully against average defenders. By developing his game his carved out a good career in the higher echelons of English football.

His career peaked the season of Fulham's Europa cup run but I still think a fit Zamora of today is a better player than the one that played at Grimsby away in 2003.

I hear what you're saying but the club needs to look forward as well as backwards. I genuinely cannot see BZ playing every game if he signs and, at the moment, that would mean starting with COG or a midget leading the line. Should we sign BZ plus a true up and coming player who could have a season like Callum Wilson had last season I will be made up. Should we sign him and, as rumoured, 29 year old 5 ft 10 Cody McDonald I will be genuinely fearing relegation.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Were you asleep or supporting Palace 15 years ago, missing Bobby topping the League 1 charts by 7 (£100 @ 25/1) and being only man since Defoe to score 10 FL games running (& none since) leading us To B2B titles?
Your bland, unenthusiastic commentary says much about you as a person & how little you actually care about the Albion and its heroes

Bobby didn't score in 10 league games running, his 10 game scoring run included 2 FA matches (against Shrewsbury and Rushden and Diamonds) his 8 game league run came to an end with a 0-0 draw against QPR at Loftus Road.

That said I'd be quite excited by his return, I don't think you can pick up a better player at holding up the ball than Zamora for free. He had his best season fitness wise last year for a long time (he only failed to make the matchday squad 3 times for QPR last season and two of those were the last two games of the season after their relegation was confirmed). He won't be the out and out goal scorer he was in his youth for us but his game isn't about that now.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This post and all those like it are what's troubling me.

The only thing Bobby Zamora has in common with OUR Bobby Zamora is they share the same name.
This blind faith in the past and 1 goal v West Brom is completely ignoring the clear and obvious decline in Bobby's footballing abilities.
Which is there for all to see when looking at games played, goals scored & assists.

I hope you are prepared for the possible huge disappointment felt by your son as he sees one glorious goal in August and half a dozen substitute appearance.
While a bunch of fans, who make Real Madrid supporters look level headed, bay for blood and chant 'what a waste of money'.

I desperately want to be massively wrong, and will genuinely love to have my posts on this thread rammed down my throat in May. (not September)
But there's nothing to suggest that'll happen, and the best we can hope for is a draw between the 2 factions.

Just think of Vicente, & the excitement he brought with him. We knew he wasn't going to play week in & week out, but the thrill of the games he did play in, was worth it.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I've just checked and it is now over a month since the Brighton page was last updated on the BBC website. Even allowing for the fact that it is the close season that's a remarkably long time for there to be nothing to report, isn't it? Most other clubs in the division have seen some sort of activity over that period.

It's probably entirely normal and I just notice more in the years where there isn't an international tournament to distract me. I'll be glad when something happens though, if only because it makes the start of the season feel that bit closer.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
He always said he would come back remember.

It will be great to see if in the #25 at the Amex. Hopefully he won't sully the great memories, but the risks are:
1. Fitness
2. Wages

Let's see if he signs.

PG

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just think of Vicente, & the excitement he brought with him. We knew he wasn't going to play week in & week out, but the thrill of the games he did play in, was worth it.
Vincente was 'playing' in a considerably better squad in a luxury position.

I want to have Bobby back as a luxury, at the moment I fear he'd come back as an answer to last seasons woes.

IF BZ's return is soon, it can only be gauged by the subsequent signings.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
whilst I am not going to deny that my heart would love Bobby to return, my head tells me that it will only work if he is the hold up and link man for a fast dynamic forward line, such as Baldock, the Iranian lad and other new signings. In that type of role there wont be to many better available for free. It would also give the fan base a lift.
If this is just a piece of the forward jigsaw that includes the above I would be very happy.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I want to have Bobby back as a luxury, at the moment I fear he'd come back as an answer to last seasons woes.

Agreed.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
As was just said - it's in the People. My mate reckons the journo there is also on talk sport and said we were after a striker the other day. This is the first national media / credible source to report this as having any legs (the others including the op we're guessing I'm sure) - fingers crossed in this one :)

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
whilst I am not going to deny that my heart would love Bobby to return, my head tells me that it will only work if he is the hold up and link man for a fast dynamic forward line, such as Baldock, the Iranian lad and other new signings. In that type of role there wont be to many better available for free. It would also give the fan base a lift.
If this is just a piece of the forward jigsaw that includes the above I would be very happy.
My thoughts exactly. Of course it'd be great to see Bobby back in the stripes, but taking the less romantic view, it needs to be nothing more than a "useful acquisition" in the grand scheme of our summer recruitment. I wouldn't feel comfortable with the club pinning any sort of hopes on him being the talismanic goal-scorer we knew in his first spell. That wouldn't end well.

Instead, lower the pressure and expectation (I know that's easier said than done), bring in quality and pace in other forward areas to complement BZ's intelligent hold-up play, as and when we require him, and I'll be unequivocally behind the signing.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
My thoughts exactly. Of course it'd be great to see Bobby back in the stripes, but taking the less romantic view, it needs to be nothing more than a "useful acquisition" in the grand scheme of our summer recruitment. I wouldn't feel comfortable with the club pinning any sort of hopes on him being the talismanic goal-scorer we knew in his first spell. That wouldn't end well.

Instead, lower the pressure and expectation (I know that's easier said than done), bring in quality and pace in other forward areas to complement BZ's intelligent hold-up play, as and when we require him, and I'll be unequivocally behind the signing.

I agree. If it were part of a 'grander' scheme then give it a whirl. My concern, as I and others have mentioned, is the proportion of our wage budget he might take up. The more we might spend on an eggs in one basket player, less for other, equally essential areas that require strengthening.
I ask genuinely, bearing in mind the reported payments to CMS and other bigger earners, what would be acceptable at this level as a wage?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Can't believe how negative some people are on here re the Zamora signing. Nobody is suggesting he's the answer to all our problems but he played a lot of games for QPR last season and obviously offered them something. There's also an argument that coming back to the place where his career took off with fans who will back him might mean he plays even better this season.

I agree that if he's our main striker signing this summer, it will be a worry. But there's no suggestion that it's the case. On the other hand, after a really poor season, I think the return of a club legend will provide a lift to the club. I really hope it does happen, even if there's a risk with a player going back to a place he was so successful before.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
We only play one striker,so why fork out shite loads on two or three?
To progress we need to play two bloody strikers like most successful sides in this division as we don't have the wingers or midfielders to score the goals.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

Agreed. Zamora would give everyone a lift but is not the complete answer to our shortcomings.

Yes, if we can keep him consistently fit and at least 25 games out of him then it could be pivotal. His impact could be wonderful - however there have to a couple of other quality signings to turns us back into contenders.

Hughton's tactics are critical. If Zamora is just allowed to plough a lonely farrow up front then Championship teams will just sit a couple of defenders on him. His talents could be wasted. He needs some racy players around him to take advantage. But is that Hughton's style?

So I'm curious whether Zamora is on Hughton's shopping list - or is the Chairman's choice, for a mix of footballing / commercial and 'feel good' reasons? A quick fix to boost everyone's morale. Would Zamora give us the biggest bang for the significant chunk of our transfer budget he would most likely cost us?

I guess the reality is that Zamora might just be the most accessible and experienced ex-Prem forward available to us, compared to say Bent (if/when we had the chance last season) or maybe Lambert, who is probably way beyond our budget, but might just tempt other Championship clubs to break the bank. I suspect that Zamora is least likely to score the most goals of the three in our drive towards the play off places, but most likely to resonate with the fans.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We only play one striker,so why fork out shite loads on two or three?
To progress we need to play two bloody strikers like most successful sides in this division as we don't have the wingers or midfielders to score the goals.

That's not true. Most successful sides overseas don't play 4-4-2. Chelsea won the league this year with one up front. It can work very well. Zamora was the only striker most games during our two consecutive promotions.

Having said that, Zamora doesn't score the goals now to be a lone striker so it would suggest we're looking to play 4-4-2 at times if we sign him. Hughton may even want to mix it up and play more attacking at home and the formation from last season away.

As for the wingers/midfielders not scoring, that is presumably what we're trying to sign at the moment with the two targets we have.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
That's not true. Most successful sides overseas don't play 4-4-2. Chelsea won the league this year with one up front. It can work very well. Zamora was the only striker most games during our two consecutive promotions.

Having said that, Zamora doesn't score the goals now to be a lone striker so it would suggest we're looking to play 4-4-2 at times if we sign him. Hughton may even want to mix it up and play more attacking at home and the formation from last season away.

As for the wingers/midfielders not scoring, that is presumably what we're trying to sign at the moment with the two targets we have.
Ffs Chelsea have world class players in the middle and on the wings:facepalm:
In the championship most clubs who go up play two strikers as scoring goals is the key to success in this division.
Burnley
Bournemouth
Leicester
Etc etc
If you play one striker then you need serious quality behind like Norwich or Watford as presume they played with one striker?
If JFC and lua lua are the quality types then we'll be near the bottom again next season.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Ffs Chelsea have world class players in the middle and on the wings:facepalm:
In the championship most clubs who go up play two strikers as scoring goals is the key to success in this division.
Burnley
Bournemouth
Leicester
Etc etc
If you play one striker then you need serious quality behind like Norwich or Watford as presume they played with one striker?
If JFC and lua lua are the quality types then we'll be near the bottom again next season.

JFC hardly started any games under Hughton and I think LuaLua will be back to a sub role mostly if we get the wingers we need. I'm not saying that system's perfect but you were writing it off. If used properly, it can work. I agree we don't have the quality of Norwich, Derby and Middlesbrough, who all play one up front, but it's an option for away games. I would really like to see us use 4-4-2 at home as it will provide more excitement, which was really lacking at the Amex last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports