neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
hughton looking.jpg-pwrt2.jpg

Chris Hughton

First published Saturday 6 June 2015 in Albion
Last updated 08:21 Saturday 6 June 2015 by Andy Naylor, Chief sports reporter

Albion boss Chris Hughton has vowed to spend Tony Bloom’s money sensibly and not fritter it away.

The chairman has made funds available for Hughton to rebuild the squad that struggled in the Championship this season.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Were you asleep or supporting Palace 15 years ago, missing Bobby topping the League 1 charts by 7 (£100 @ 25/1) and being only man since Defoe to score 10 FL games running (& none since) leading us To B2B titles?
Your bland, unenthusiastic commentary says much about you as a person & how little you actually care about the Albion and its heroes

Norman Gall is an albion hero, would you be excited if we signed him? Extreme example, I know, but it brings to mind a famous Winston Churchill exchange:

“Churchill: "Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?"
Socialite: "My goodness, Mr. Churchill... Well, I suppose... we would have to discuss terms, of course... "
Churchill: "Would you sleep with me for five pounds?"
Socialite: "Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!"
Churchill: "Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price”​

With the Norman Gall example, we establish that being a legend isn't enough on its own. What Bobby did for us was 12-14 years ago. A long time in football. Since leaving us, he has averaged less than 20 league starts a season. He has almost definitely peaked and is now entering the twilight years of his career.

To suggest that the fact I look at that and take the position, as I take with every signing, of waiting and seeing how he performs rather than soiling my underwear in excitement somehow diminishes my love, respect, and enjoyment of what he did for us in the past is ridiculous. It's that 'same all or nothing' attitude that is becoming too common on here. The lack of room for nuance and complexities is what gives the impression that someone/thing is more unpopular than it is.

You can rejoice in the fact that you have now joined the long list of miserable sods who post on here.

I've made no secret of the fact that my albion mojo has been low since the summer Gus left. I've also mentioned before that I haven't fanboyed out over a player since the days of John Robinson and Johnny Crumplin (football genius!). You call that being miserable sod, so be it. I consider it growing up and having a healthy perspective on football.

Having said all that, I find it odd, my post is 'as always, I'll wait and see' and I get this reaction. Have you seen Stat Brother's posts in this thread?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We only play one striker,so why fork out shite loads on two or three?
To progress we need to play two bloody strikers like most successful sides in this division as we don't have the wingers or midfielders to score the goals.

Agreed. The two strikers option would seem our best chance to score the amount of goals needed to get out the league. If we keep hold of the three strikers on our books and sign, say, one more. What would be your pairings?

For me, we do something unthinkable, something we never did with CMS. We replicate the system Baldock played in at Bristol where he was prolific. Clunge would be back up to Baldock and COG would be back up for our 'new' partner striker for Sam. Being totally realistic, we could go afterJET or a similar younger player, we could go abroad or we could sign one of the best 'partner' strikers from the Premier League last season? The man who enabled Austin to have time, space & assists to score a good haul. The man lauded on Match Of The Day vs Man Utd as being the ideal strike partner for a goal scorer. Admit it, it's time to get our Bobby back!

Obviously, if we don't play two up front and we sell Balders & Clunge, my argument falls down. I'm working on that.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Socialite: "My goodness, Mr. Churchill... Well, I suppose... we would have to discuss terms, of course... "
Churchill: "Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price”​

This wasn't Churchill. It's an old joke wrongly attributed to different quotable figures including Twain, Churchill and Bernard Shaw.

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/03/07/haggling/

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
This wasn't Churchill. It's an old joke wrongly attributed to different quotable figures including Twain, Churchill and Bernard Shaw.

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/03/07/haggling/

I did wonder if it might have been, but I heard it as a Churchill one and thought most might know it as that. Still, it is the sentiment of it that was important more than the source.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Churchill: "Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price”

What WAS definitely ascribed to Winston was his retort to Lady Astor at a party:

Lady A: "Winston, you're drunk!"

WC: " I may well be, but you are ugly. In the morning I shall however be sober..."

I always thought she should have further retorted: "Well I may be ugly but I have a footman hung like a donkey who will pleasure me all night on my command. On the other hand you will have the brewer's droop and a totally fed up wife..."

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Churchill: "Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price”

What WAS definitely ascribed to Winston was his retort to Lady Astor at a party:

Lady A: "Winston, you're drunk!"

WC: " I may well be, but you are ugly. In the morning I shall however be sober..."

I always thought she should have further retorted: "Well I may be ugly but I have a footman hung like a donkey who will pleasure me all night on my command. On the other hand you will have the brewer's droop and a totally fed up wife..."

Was that to Lady Astor I thought it was said to Bessie Braddock

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I rarely get excited by a player's name or history. The potential of Zamora signing hasn't changed that, I doubt him officially signing would either. I will judge him by what he produces when he plays, not on who he is.

I don't know if that general philosophy is responsible for this thought, but, will he really mean that much? The people who were fans when he was with us largely already have their season tickets. If they are the sort to buy a shirt, they will do regardless. Is the number of people out there who haven't got a ticket, but will buy one for Bobby, or who weren't going to buy a shirt, but will do now they can put Bobby's name on it really that significant?

I haven't been to watch a game since I cancelled my season ticket two seasons ago. I refuse to pay the extortionate match day prices. However, should Zamora return, I'm pretty sure I would cave and end up buying a few tickets at least to see him play for us once again.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
JFC hardly started any games under Hughton and I think LuaLua will be back to a sub role mostly if we get the wingers we need. I'm not saying that system's perfect but you were writing it off. If used properly, it can work. I agree we don't have the quality of Norwich, Derby and Middlesbrough, who all play one up front, but it's an option for away games. I would really like to see us use 4-4-2 at home as it will provide more excitement, which was really lacking at the Amex last season.
I get your point....But if you want to progress you also need to stop all this keep it tight shite and try and Nick a win away from home.This is a philosophy imbedded in the club since poyet was here and since day one we've been pretty shite away from home and that includes poyets dull away tactics.
We need to build a side and play the same tactics away and look to win every game rather than this not losing bore fest bollocks.
History states that our away form and performances have 90% been dog shite and this has to change....If hooton continues the way of the rest and becomes to cautious then we're in big trouble next season.

A change of philosophy is needed throughout the club as we're the new Stoke City who bores the shit out of the supporters and the live TV pundits who time and time again say we're to slow getting forward etc etc....Having one player in the box isn't going to win you games is it?seems hooton thinks you can :facepalm:

Yes we certainly should be bloody playing more attacking football at home as we're the home side....Will this idiotic tactic change?doubt it as hooton likes 0-0 score lines.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
A change of philosophy is needed throughout the club as we're the new Stoke City who bores the shit out of the supporters and the live TV pundits who time and time again say we're to slow getting forward etc etc....

Sounds more like Stoke under Pulis. The current Stoke stuck three past Spurs and Arsenal and smashed Liverpool by a five goal margin, very different under Hughes.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I get your point....But if you want to progress you also need to stop all this keep it tight shite and try and Nick a win away from home.This is a philosophy imbedded in the club since poyet was here and since day one we've been pretty shite away from home and that includes poyets dull away tactics.
We need to build a side and play the same tactics away and look to win every game rather than this not losing bore fest bollocks.
History states that our away form and performances have 90% been dog shite and this has to change....If hooton continues the way of the rest and becomes to cautious then we're in big trouble next season.

A change of philosophy is needed throughout the club as we're the new Stoke City who bores the shit out of the supporters and the live TV pundits who time and time again say we're to slow getting forward etc etc....Having one player in the box isn't going to win you games is it?seems hooton thinks you can :facepalm:

Yes we certainly should be bloody playing more attacking football at home as we're the home side....Will this idiotic tactic change?doubt it as hooton likes 0-0 score lines.

To be fair, the dull tactics Poyet used that you criticise got us fourth in the league (and tenth the year before) and then Garcia took us to sixth. Very few teams go all out away from home. It is natural to be more defensive. I'm not saying all out defence but a slight change in formation.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Hughton was appointed with one useful striker who was then injured and one erratic winger. It's no wonder we concentrated on defending!
Give him a window and a pre-season before calling him boring.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Norman Gall is an albion hero, would you be excited if we signed him? Extreme example, I know, but it brings to mind a famous Winston Churchill exchange:

With the Norman Gall example, we establish that being a legend isn't enough on its own. What Bobby did for us was 12-14 years ago. A long time in football. Since leaving us, he has averaged less than 20 league starts a season. He has almost definitely peaked and is now entering the twilight years of his career.

To suggest that the fact I look at that and take the position, as I take with every signing, of waiting and seeing how he performs rather than soiling my underwear in excitement somehow diminishes my love, respect, and enjoyment of what he did for us in the past is ridiculous. It's that 'same all or nothing' attitude that is becoming too common on here. The lack of room for nuance and complexities is what gives the impression that someone/thing is more unpopular than it is.

I've made no secret of the fact that my albion mojo has been low since the summer Gus left. I've also mentioned before that I haven't fanboyed out over a player since the days of John Robinson and Johnny Crumplin (football genius!). You call that being miserable sod, so be it. I consider it growing up and having a healthy perspective on football.

Having said all that, I find it odd, my post is 'as always, I'll wait and see' and I get this reaction. Have you seen Stat Brother's posts in this thread?

Poor choice of quote it seems....!
Nevertheless, Gall, JC & Robbo did NOT play in the top flight in any season, never mind a couple of months ago, nor did the latter two non game changinging wingers (were you one also?) ever get close to the brilliance that Bobby showed

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Bobby didn't score in 10 league games running, his 10 game scoring run included 2 FA matches (against Shrewsbury and Rushden and Diamonds) his 8 game league run came to an end with a 0-0 draw against QPR at Loftus Road.

That said I'd be quite excited by his return, I don't think you can pick up a better player at holding up the ball than Zamora for free. He had his best season fitness wise last year for a long time (he only failed to make the matchday squad 3 times for QPR last season and two of those were the last two games of the season after their relegation was confirmed). He won't be the out and out goal scorer he was in his youth for us but his game isn't about that now.

Better then

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
I did wonder if it might have been, but I heard it as a Churchill one and thought most might know it as that. Still, it is the sentiment of it that was important more than the source.

Another one of those probably apocryphal ones ...

Lady whoever: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your drink
Churchill: Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it

Allegedly Mrs Patrick Campbell if memory serves.

Always raises a titter at Schloss Shug

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
To be fair, the dull tactics Poyet used that you criticise got us fourth in the league (and tenth the year before) and then Garcia took us to sixth. Very few teams go all out away from home. It is natural to be more defensive. I'm not saying all out defence but a slight change in formation.
Yes we got 4th and were very lucky getting a point here and there for sure as with Garcia.Fact is we need to win more away from home as our home form it seems never really improves. :)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes we got 4th and were very lucky getting a point here and there for sure as with Garcia.Fact is we need to win more away from home as our home form it seems never really improves. :)

Very lucky, indeed, Mr 5 games a season, & usually too drunk to remember what happened.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here