Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Zaha... cheat

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
How the hell can 24% say no? The Palace prawn sandwich brigade, you know the ones, they started turning up when they couldn't get an Arsenal season ticket.

Did you know SN that in the 4 or is 5 times they have gained promotion to the Premier League they have never got close to averaging 20k.
Groupon just springs to mind in a promotion season.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Did you know SN that in the 4 or is 5 times they have gained promotion to the Premier League they have never got close to averaging 20k.
Groupon just springs to mind in a promotion season.

Absolutely, I was trying to get there subtly :wink:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
We have some moments of faking yes, but on a scale of Zaha? Seriously?

I’m certainly not going to defend Zaha. He is a cheat. I don’t think though that he is much/any worse than players in every other Premier and Championship team these days. All these sides have players that dive in every game and they all have fans who see it in other teams but not their own.

I wish it were different but fans and tv pundits seem accepting of the idea that upon any form of contact a player SHOULD go down. Once that became accepted our sport changed irrevocably and I don’t see the point in highlighting one particular cheat just because he plays for Palace. The scale of his cheating is irrelevant as that would imply that being a bit of a cheat is somehow fine. It isn’t and the fact that yourself and others advance this argument is another example of the confused morals of modern day football.

I have long since given up on worrying about diving; as it is too late.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
An euphemism for kicking the opposition to get their players injured

They've also had 5 years in the Prem, so not only should they have better players, they should also have passion. They've spent all their money on players and not on infrastructure. I'm sure they have a 10 year plan somewhere that includes upgrades, not the shite they're touting about now that will never happen. The golden boy chairman will blame the council. But so long as they have a cheat they'll gain untold points in a season. When he retires due to an ingrowing toe nail they will go down.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
As far as I can see the law only states that a player has successfully deceived a ref if they dive (or feign injury) and get an opposing player sent off or a penalty, it doesn’t make mention of the need to score the penalty for retrospective action to be taken.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2017/may/18/fa-to-punish-simulation-retrospectively-180517

Was Puncheon booked for the challenge that saw both him and De Bruyne carried off? He could face retrospective action for that challenge.
You are absolutely correct, I thought I had heard this rule but clearly mistaken, having read various press releases I sincerely hope he gets a ban, it was a blatant dive.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I’m certainly not going to defend Zaha. He is a cheat. I don’t think though that he is much/any worse than players in every other Premier and Championship team these days. All these sides have players that dive in every game and they all have fans who see it in other teams but not their own.

I wish it were different but fans and tv pundits seem accepting of the idea that upon any form of contact a player SHOULD go down. Once that became accepted our sport changed irrevocably and I don’t see the point in highlighting one particular cheat just because he plays for Palace. The scale of his cheating is irrelevant as that would imply that being a bit of a cheat is somehow fine. It isn’t and the fact that yourself and others advance this argument is another example of the confused morals of modern day football.

I have long since given up on worrying about diving; as it is too late.

I’m certainly not going to defend Zaha. He is a cheat. I don’t think though that he is much/any worse than players in every other Premier and Championship team these days.

Do you really believe that?

I wish it were different but fans and tv pundits seem accepting of the idea that upon any form of contact a player SHOULD go down.

This is an interesting point. When players try to stay on their feet and don't get the foul I do think they need to show the ref they just got kicked. Hence they go over like dying swans.

The thing with Zaha is, he rarely gets kicked, tripped or fouled. Defenders know what he's all about and give him a wide berth. But he still manages to get close and fall over. He didn't dive outside the box when he could have, he went inside and dived. He is a serial cheat. There is not another player like him in English football. I have no idea how he sleeps at night. He knows the cameras are watching his every move yet he still does it. It is footballing tourettes, he can't help himself.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
We've known about it longer than most. Don't forget it was all those penalties that Zaha and Murray won that got them promotion out of the Championship. He sets out to win penalties, it's his MO and he's a Jedi Master at it.

Jacqui Oatley hits the nail on the head here.

[tweet]947466837595484160[/tweet]

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We've known about it longer than most. Don't forget it was all those penalties that Zaha and Murray won that got them promotion out of the Championship. He sets out to win penalties, it's his MO and he's a Jedi Master at it.

And that really does quantify the cheat label.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If he doesn't get a retro on this I think I'll give up football.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I had a similar thought a little while earlier whilst doing something else, and meant to come back and post it. This has reminded me.

The difference between Zaha and many others who "go down easily", including our own, is that with Zaha it seems that earning a penalty is his end game. It's what he is trying to achieve. It's not just a by-product of trying to score a goal or create a goal.

And his reaction to winning the penalty reinforces that. He has achieved what he wanted to achieve.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I had a similar thought a little while earlier whilst doing something else, and meant to come back and post it. This has reminded me.

The difference between Zaha and many others who "go down easily", including our own, is that with Zaha it seems that earning a penalty is his end game. It's what he is trying to achieve. It's not just a by-product of trying to score a goal or create a goal.

And his reaction to winning the penalty reinforces that. He has achieved what he wanted to achieve.

You've described my opinion of him precisely. Fair play to him for that because it works and he's bloody good at it.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

****ing wan ker. How can ay player or fan be proud of that, celebrating almost like he had scored a goal. So glad they missed dirty bast&rd

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
You've described my opinion of him precisely. Fair play to him for that because it works and he's bloody good at it.

Fair play to him? Really? Is that what modern football fans think? I'm lost here.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
****ing wan ker. How can ay player or fan be proud of that, celebrating almost like he had scored a goal. So glad they missed dirty bast&rd

I would usually put it your way, but being a little succinct, for once, he is a cheating c**t that should be banned from the game, ok not succinct but I don't care who they play for, Palace, Brighton, Liverpool... whoever, get these f*ckers out of our passion, our game, the thing we care about above most things. Stop hoodwinking the guy that spends £600 a season to watch football. I hate cheats with an absolute passion.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Fair play to him? Really? Is that what modern football fans think? I'm lost here.

I hate the bloke, I hate that he cheats but all the while he can get away with it then it puts his team at a huge advantage. And diving isn't a modern phenomenon, cheating isn't a modern football 'thing' - it's as old as the game itself. I'll cheer and admire Murray when he pulls one of the many tricks from his dark repertoire and I'll boo and curse whenever Zaha goes down. It's all part of the pantomime.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here