Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your smallest ever away crowd (that you were part of).

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
In early 90's away to York, lost 1-0, think their one good player scored the goal, probably only about 100 odd. Also a couple of trips to Carlisle with again maybe 100 or so fans. Lost the first one and drew the other when Slade was in charge. Got in the Argus for that game where I had my photo taken and gave my views of the game!

Always enjoyed that trip, nice car ride and very easy to get to.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Blackpool away. Late 90s. Not the petrol crisis one.

Very few there on a crumbling terrace

Andy Preece scored and gave us the going down sign

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Away at Hull for an evening game, can’t be sure if the year but probably about 150 of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think I was at this one, did we win 2-0 and end up with 9 players on the pitch? Andy Arnott was one of the players sent off, can't remember the other.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
In early 90's away to York, lost 1-0, think their one good player scored the goal, probably only about 100 odd..

I went to that, I actually stayed over night and went home Sunday, it was a nice day actually, lovely walk through the old town in the morning a few beers with some other Albion fans, I wore my Sussex County Cricket shirt for some stupid reason...
Then went to some alternative night in town to drown my sorrows, after my first Mexican meal in town...
strange what you recall, when prompted..

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Can't recall many at Cambridge United in LDV vans q/f 2001 . Was living in Ipswich at the time so easy journey for me and a couple of mates . Lost 2-1

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Blackpool away. Late 90s. Not the petrol crisis one.

Very few there on a crumbling terrace

Andy Preece scored and gave us the going down sign

I went to the one on a Tuesday night 94 when we drew 2-2 and gave one of their subs hell about his hair singing the famous "He's got a pineapple on his head"
There were probably less than 50 at that aswell.

Mar 2, 2009
Barnsley away, League Cup 1981. Lost 4-1. Until the arrival of NSC I'd swear me and my mate were the only two Brighton fans there, but I now know El Pres and about 30 others were also there. We got there late, couldn't find an away end, so we went in with the home fans. Never saw our goal, never heard/saw any Brighton, hence my original belief.

And this wasn't a pre-season, or from the Archer era, this was when we were in the old 1st division (Barnsley were in the division below), and it was only a few years since our 'glory' runs in the League Cup. What a difference from Forest away when thousands wanted to get there. It was very depressing for lots of reasons.

I was at that Barnsley game with my mate Kev who had driven up from Sussex to stay up in Yorkshire for a couple of days of cheap beer. I was a student at Huddersfield Polytechnic and living in ‘prehistoric’ conditions that led to Kev contracting bronchitis after kipping on the sofa. We stood in the paddock in front of the main stand with a sprinkling of other Albion fans. If I remember correctly we scored first -Steve Gatting? and then proceeded to capitulate to the Mick McCarthy inspired Tykes. It was a big game for them and they let us know in no uncertain terms that we were soft shandy drinking poofters...It was grim...
In fact we have subsequently used this experience as one of our ‘benchmarks’ for comparing the level of the teams performance, e.g. excellent - average - poor - or complete and utter Barnsley...
At least we only had a short drive back to Hudds

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Yep, I was at that one. Grim day in December having lost the previous 9 away games on the trot (or some equally depressing statistic). One of Codner's was from the halfway line after a poor clearance from their keeper and we also had a 4th goal disallowed (Kevin Macgonagle?). There were surely less than 30 of us there

Must have been about that many. Codner from the halfway line was brilliant as it was into the goal we were behind on that miserable terrace that faced all of the elements. I grew up not far from Plymouth so watched the highlights on the local news that evening. You know the crowd is small when you can see yourself and the three people you were with celebrating.

My old man forgot cash that day and tried to pay for entry with a cheque. They sent him to the club office. What a bizarre day. Weirdly days like that make a young lad fall in love with live football.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Everton away the season after the Everton fans attacked virtually everyone on the buses back to the station and at the station. I seem to recall counting to 23 and no more.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We regularly had small away crowds in the early mid 90s. Remember being amongst a very small bunch at Mansfield during this period.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Everton away the season after the Everton fans attacked virtually everyone on the buses back to the station and at the station.

Intelligent lot they are not Everton fans, they ambushed and attacked their own fans a few years ago, and carried on for several minutes before they realised they were both Everton firms and knew each other....

Feckwit northern idiots...

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Grim day playmouth away. We won 3-0. Codner x2 and Nogan. Probably about 1993.

I follow brackley in national league north. We took about 2 to Hereford earlier this season. They had a decent crowd That day so when we equalised it was brilliant being one of a tiny handful cheering.

Was that the one where Codner scored that Beckham like goal from the half way line? If so I was right behind the goal and yes couldn’t have been more than 150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Sunderland in Sep 1977. We won 2-0 (Wardy and Piper, I think) and went top of Division 2. Despite this momentous result, there were only about 50 Albion fans in the away end, there was so much space around us - a bit of a shock after the confines of the North Stand.

I remember the shock of walking to the ground from the station, it looked like the land that time forgot, I did get bought a pint in Newcastle by Geordie, who was delighted that the Mackems had lost.

there was about 200-300 on the seagull special

we ended up amongst the home fans as did most Brighton fans that day

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
I went to lots of midweek away games up north in the 80's. Not many of us at all. I think most Saturday Northern away games would only 400 away fans at most. Burnley away mid week sticks out. I think we played them twice up there in a week (cup and league). The midweek game was very sparse. To top it all Burnley was actually shut for the afternoon because of the weekly market in Blackburn. Literally nothing to do and nowhere to go.
I remember 88 of us at Newcastle away FA Cup 83. There were more Geordies on the train back to London than us.
A weekend when Albion wern't playing, 4 of us went up to Scotland to watch Stirling Albion V Cowdenbeath. The entire crowd from memory was 93.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Indeed. I too was on the Seagull Special and it was full as usual. (It got bricked after the game as well iirc). This was in the era when I went to every game, home and away, and that was no way the worst attended.

Slightly O/T, but there was a huge drop-off in away support once we reached the top division. I remember our first trip to Liverpool and it really was a case of spot the Brighton fan. And as my post (#54) proves by the time we'd been there a few years (and struggled) the desire to travel to away games had all but totally evaporated.

I remember being advised to pull the blinds down as we arrived at Seaburn

Sunderland fans were even on the train tracks lobbing stuff (nutters:lol:)

your right about the away following in the old Div 1
at Highbury circa 80 very few of us in the clock end considering
and yet a couple of years there was about 25k :wink:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I think you have underestimated the number of Albion fans at that game.
I went up on the Seagull Special train, and there must have been at least 300 on that.
It was a very unpleasant walk back to the station, the Sunderland fans weren’t happy.

I was on the Seagull Special - so at least 300 hundred I'd say - although when we got to Sunderland, it was quite a walk to the ground, fans got separated and there wasn't really an end for us - we seemed to end up inadvertently in the with the home fans.

I got quite a smack after we scored the first goal!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here