Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Your smallest ever away crowd (that you were part of).

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Midweek away at Newcastle circa 1992. We had a small section of the then demolished end behind the goal. I literally counted the number of Albion fans and it was 150 tops. But Mark Gall scored and we won 0-1!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to this one too (was living in Burnley and went with a mate from Grantham who was a Newcastle fan). However, it was played on a Saturday, not midweek.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Probably Southend away in that oddball trophy thing, the away attendance was announced as 45, that was tosh because there was over 40 of us in the pub before hand, and a sprinkling already in the ground by the time we got there, I counted at least 80 :lolol:

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Away at Hull for an evening game, can’t be sure if the year but probably about 150 of us.

Think I was at this one, did we win 2-0 and end up with 9 players on the pitch? Andy Arnott was one of the players sent off, can't remember the other.

If it was the 2-0 nine men game on a mid-week there was a few more than a 150 of us there....always amazed me how many fans we took away (relatively speaking) on these mid week jaunts to northern outposts (Scunthorpe away on a Wednesday night, ditto Hartlepool. A lot of exiled northern fans came across for these games).

Happy Days!!!

Ross Johnson was the other player sent off. That was Albion's 4th successive away league win on the way to a record 5th win (at Shrewsbury, 18 days later).

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I vaguely remember going away to Leeds in the late 80’s just before Christmas and there not being many Brighton fans there. However I wasn’t in the best state having left a club in Brighton in the early hours and headed straight to Leeds, think I arrived around 9am, freezing cold, banging headache and wondering what the hell am I doing !!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Doesn’t surprise me no one nominated this one cause seriously only about 80 of us there to witness! Burnden Park, Bolton, Jan 1993, very foggy and the week after played Utd in cup at OT so think everyone blown money on that NW trip. Nogan scored one of the great Albion goals and he did it wearing the strawberry chewit wrapper strip! This was the side with Raphael Meade (he’s got speed...) too. Goal was late in the game and an absolute beauty down the home end with seating behind the goal (not the one where away fans shoved usually that the Sainsbury’s development cut off your view of corners being taken, though that day that end was closed, possibly by then condemned so we were along the side instead)

Anyway, also remember a BHA fan falling on the massive terrace we had during the goal celebration (we all had a LOT and I mean a LOT of room to go nuts!) and had to be stretchered away by St Johns as he’d busted his ankle, but was waving to us from the stretcher as we all (80 of us!) sang ‘loyal supporter’!!

Happy days.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
We were in Ireland for a family holiday that year and met the squad at the airport, I remember talking to a couple of the reserves and Danny Cullip - didn’t they all have a massive on field brawl with one of the opposition teams on the tour?? (Sligo?)

No. That was either the following year or the one after. I didn't do that tour. It may have been somewhere else, not Sligo but you could be right.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I vaguely remember going away to Leeds in the late 80’s just before Christmas and there not being many Brighton fans there. However I wasn’t in the best state having left a club in Brighton in the early hours and headed straight to Leeds, think I arrived around 9am, freezing cold, banging headache and wondering what the hell am I doing !!

I went to Leeds around Christmas 28th Dec 1985, freezing cold, in my bleached up jeans, deck pumps !!! (Don’t ask me, it was rockabilly fashion at the time) and a blonde two tone flat top, hardly any Albion fans there we won 3-2 Graham Pearce lob winner.
Got chased all the way back to the station, this is when I found out deck pumps are not great for running in, as I fell and got a few swift kicks to my chest before the old bill came outta the station and rescued me from a more serious kicking.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Sunderland away 1979 I think it was

Around 50 ish fans from Brighton and was chased all the way to the train station by huge skinheads! Was rescued by three coppers who told us all to walk with them..

****ing horrible place!

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Tranmere league cup midweek

First leg of a league cup tie in the 70’s.

We had a length of terracing in front of the main stand. We were on a half full coach. Perhaps a couple of cars made the trip as well.

Bob Paisley was in the stands watching Lawro who got sent off on the night. We know what happened next.

Missed the first few lessons at college in the morning after getting back at Stupid o’clock. Great memories.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Doesn’t surprise me no one nominated this one cause seriously only about 80 of us there to witness! Burnden Park, Bolton, Jan 1993, very foggy and the week after played Utd in cup at OT so think everyone blown money on that NW trip. Nogan scored one of the great Albion goals and he did it wearing the strawberry chewit wrapper strip! This was the side with Raphael Meade (he’s got speed...) too. Goal was late in the game and an absolute beauty down the home end with seating behind the goal (not the one where away fans shoved usually that the Sainsbury’s development cut off your view of corners being taken, though that day that end was closed, possibly by then condemned so we were along the side instead)

Anyway, also remember a BHA fan falling on the massive terrace we had during the goal celebration (we all had a LOT and I mean a LOT of room to go nuts!) and had to be stretchered away by St Johns as he’d busted his ankle, but was waving to us from the stretcher as we all (80 of us!) sang ‘loyal supporter’!!

Happy days.

Was also at this, but as I lived in Burnley in was a pretty short trip for me!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Was also at this, but as I lived in Burnley in was a pretty short trip for me!

Yep, I was in war torn Salford in those days so easy for me too.

Do you remember the guy on the stretcher as well? And no no Nogan super goal?

Jul 7, 2003
I went to the one on a Tuesday night 94 when we drew 2-2 and gave one of their subs hell about his hair singing the famous "He's got a pineapple on his head"
There were probably less than 50 at that aswell.

Did that game on the Costa Express. We arrived in Blackpool around 6pm so my mate and I legged it down to the Pleasure Beach to ride on the not long opened Big One. Quick beer, pie and chips and a taxi back just in time for the 7:30 kick off. Seem to recall the coach driver took us part way along the Illuminations before we headed home.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I was fortunate enough to go to see a pre season friendly in 2010 between Sunderland and Brighton in Portugal at a stadium that made Withdean look huge. I genuinely think there were more Brighton fans than natives in the town that night

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Away at Middlesbrough in the League cup. I think it was something like 1994. I was on the 1 coach that travelled with something like 30 fans. The weather was horrendous and we lost 5-0 at Ayresome park. I recall arriving back to the Goldstone at 4am where I then walked back to Worthing as it was hours before the next train.... Would I do it again? Definitely as it's a memory I'll never forget

That was the only time that I counted our crowd. I made it 52 - with 13 in the seats (a narrow section adjacent to the corner terrace) and 39 on that terrace. 3 of us travelled by car from Rotherham.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Yep, I was in war torn Salford in those days so easy for me too.

Do you remember the guy on the stretcher as well? And no no Nogan super goal?

I can't say I remember the bloke on the stretcher - vaguely remember Nogan's goal.

People on here will mention specific incidences in matches I attended, 30/20/10 years ago, and I have little or no recall. And I am someone who is very detail-oriented. I'm not sure if my brain has simply written over those experiences (lack of disk space), if it is just the result of aging (I'm only 51, so not THAT old), or what the reason is. I was lucky enough to be at Brentford in '87 for Garry Nelson's super-goal, and my recollection of it now is so vague I'm not even sure that what I remember is first-hand, or what I've read about it since. :down:

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Away at Hull for an evening game, can’t be sure if the year but probably about 150 of us.

Despite the other later posts on this, I think that this was early in 96 when they closed the terrace behind the goal and put us all in the end of the main stand. One of the worst games I have ever seen. Liz Costa will know the total - she was counting everyone as the came up the steps into the stand.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Barnsley away, League Cup 1981. Lost 4-1. Until the arrival of NSC I'd swear me and my mate were the only two Brighton fans there, but I now know El Pres and about 30 others were also there. We got there late, couldn't find an away end, so we went in with the home fans. Never saw our goal, never heard/saw any Brighton, hence my original belief.

And this wasn't a pre-season, or from the Archer era, this was when we were in the old 1st division (Barnsley were in the division below), and it was only a few years since our 'glory' runs in the League Cup. What a difference from Forest away when thousands wanted to get there. It was very depressing for lots of reasons.

Well you wouldn't have seen me at kick off, as I didn't get there until halftime - the latest I have ever got to a game. Only had to come from Blackpool but lost all my lights at Manchester. Even then I had a comp ticket so was in the seats.

Jordy

Exiled Seagull
Dec 1, 2009
I can't say I remember the bloke on the stretcher - vaguely remember Nogan's goal.

People on here will mention specific incidences in matches I attended, 30/20/10 years ago, and I have little or no recall. And I am someone who is very detail-oriented. I'm not sure if my brain has simply written over those experiences (lack of disk space), if it is just the result of aging (I'm only 51, so not THAT old), or what the reason is. I was lucky enough to be at Brentford in '87 for Garry Nelson's super-goal, and my recollection of it now is so vague I'm not even sure that what I remember is first-hand, or what I've read about it since. :down:

I always remember daft things nowadays like an away game at Cambridge, must have been 94 or 95, in the warm up Mark Ormerod fired a shot into the crowd when warming up Nicky Rust that hit an elderly lady, Malcolm Stuart jumped over the advertising boards to attend to her, Liam Brady and Gerry Ryan came over to see if she was ok, so I got both their autographs, and of course Ormerod came over to apologise too.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
I always remember daft things nowadays like an away game at Cambridge, must have been 94 or 95, in the warm up Mark Ormerod fired a shot into the crowd when warming up Nicky Rust that hit an elderly lady, Malcolm Stuart jumped over the advertising boards to attend to her, Liam Brady and Gerry Ryan came over to see if she was ok, so I got both their autographs, and of course Ormerod came over to apologise too.

How was the old lady?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here