Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yet another piece of UKIP brilliance

D

Deleted member 22389

I work in higher education, an industry which has a global reputation for a high quality service, and is one of the biggest exporters in the country, contributing £14bn a year to the economy.

UKIP's policies would wipe out most of this benefit by preventing/discouraging overseas students from attending UK universities.

Could a UKIP supporter explain the benefits of such a policy to someone such as myself, who would probably lose my job (80% of the students I teach are international).

The current government has made things difficult enough, UKIP would extend this disadvantage by making it even more difficult for overseas students to attend higher education in the UK.

http://www.economist.com/news/brita...ng-english-universities-how-ruin-global-brand

Is it not true that the only reason you need foreign students is because the governments have made it too expensive from people to attend university in this country , since they are not funding them like they used too. Out of these students how many are actually from France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria.

If most of the students are from outside the EU then UKIP would not restrict this. The restrictions are for people from the EU, since that is where most of the people have come from.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Is it not true that the only reason you need foreign students is because the governments have made it too expensive from people to attend university in this country?

Foreign students and humanities students subsidise STEM students here in the UK, as foreign students pay an average of £15,000 a year and it costs far more than £9,000 a year to train a doctor, dentist or scientist, so you are incorrect.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Is it not true that the only reason you need foreign students is because the governments have made it too expensive from people to attend university in this country , since they are not funding them like they used too. Out of these students how many are actually from France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Poland, Romania, Bulgaria.

If most of the students are from outside the EU then UKIP would not restrict this. The restrictions are for people from the EU, since that is where most of the people have come from.

There are 125,000 EU and 300,000 non-EU students in UK higher education, out of a total student population of 2.3 million.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

For every £1 a student pays in fees they pay another £2 to the economy overall, so UKIP's policy is immediately costing about £4.5 billion a year in lost GDP. How will they ensure that people such as myself won't lose jobs as a result?

D

Deleted member 22389

There are 125,000 EU and 300,000 non-EU students in UK higher education, out of a total student population of 2.3 million.

It's only the current government who have made it hard, but that was because the previous government allowed too many bogus students in to our country, and that had an effect on the honest people who wanted to come here.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's only the current government who have made it hard, but that was because the previous government allowed too many bogus students in to our country, and that had an effect on the honest people who wanted to come here.

I can assure you my employer is scrupulously fair in assessing international students in terms of their entry qualifications, as our courses are too complex for people with a poor educational background.

Private sector colleges, which have been encouraged by the present government, are only interested in the fees.

I still haven't had an answer in relation to how UKIP will give me job security by cutting the number of student enrolments though.

D

Deleted member 22389

I can assure you my employer is scrupulously fair in assessing international students in terms of their entry qualifications, as our courses are too complex for people with a poor educational background.

Private sector colleges, which have been encouraged by the present government, are only interested in the fees.

I still haven't had an answer in relation to how UKIP will give me job security by cutting the number of student enrolments though.

As for UKIP cutting student enrolments that is something I didn't know about, so yes on that one I would agree that doesn't help anybody.
The only thing I would suggest is this country stops sending billions of pounds to other countries and invest this in to education again.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Given that there is minimum wage legislation, how can the Poles and Lithuanians work for less than the locals?

I think it is more a case that many locals can't be asked to work for the minimum wage, so the foreigners get a lot of the jobs by default and have seized the opportunity because the work still needs to be done. A local TV documentary featured several town centres in the East of England (mainly Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk) where local youngsters would rather sit around doing nothing or drinking than do menial outdoor work in agriculture for the minimum wage. When asked 'why' the response was often that they perceived a lack of 'respect' in doing that work - and are happy to sit around doing feck all. I agree that vegetable picking and packing day in, day out and in all weathers cannot be too inspiring but the alternative seems a bit too easy.

The scale of the immigration is why towns like Boston, Wisbech, Spalding and the city of Peterborough now have huge foreign enclaves and the character of town centres look so continental.

Foreign students and humanities students subsidise STEM students here in the UK, as foreign students pay an average of £15,000 a year and it costs far more than £9,000 a year to train a doctor, dentist or scientist
I'd like to flag up the possibility that it might just be worth the UK taxpayer subsidising the training of doctors, dentists and scientists. Or have we really reached the point where market trading is considered the only way to secure the future of UK health care and science?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'd like to flag up the possibility that it might just be worth the UK taxpayer subsidising the training of doctors, dentists and scientists. Or have we really reached the point where market trading is considered the only way to secure the future of UK health care and science?

I agree entirely Lord B. Higher education, indeed all education, is an investment and the country as a whole benefits from a broader skill base, higher tax revenues and greater life expectancy.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I think it is more a case that many locals can't be asked to work for the minimum wage, so the foreigners get a lot of the jobs by default and have seized the opportunity because the work still needs to be done. A local TV documentary featured several town centres in the East of England (mainly Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk) where local youngsters would rather sit around doing nothing or drinking than do menial outdoor work in agriculture for the minimum wage. When asked 'why' the response was often that they perceived a lack of 'respect' in doing that work - and are happy to sit around doing feck all. I agree that vegetable picking and packing day in, day out and in all weathers cannot be too inspiring but the alternative seems a bit too easy.

The scale of the immigration is why towns like Boston, Wisbech, Spalding and the city of Peterborough now have huge foreign enclaves and the character of town centres look so continental.

PS - you can see why UKIP are thriving in some areas, but this then prompts the question that if UKIP are successful in driving down immigration who is going to do all the low paid menial work....? The same work shy youngsters aren't suddenly going to change their attitudes overnight.

It is rather sad that many (but not all) youngsters won't do the sort of low paid agricultural work that traditionally older generations in their families had to in order to survive. There seems to be an aversion for manual work.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Strange how you all want to just insult anyone that might want to consider voting UKIP rather than put forward an intelligent, well though argument. [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] - would have thought you would be above the pathetic insult throwing.

Do you not see how endemic racist and xenophobia, coupled with dubious finances and no coherent control of the party membership makes UKIP a non-starter as an effective organisation in a developed political democracy like the UK?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I have a grudging respect for Nigel Farage. What concerns me is the cancerous underbelly within parts of his party. The amount of people who are making disturbing statements about immigrants et al on social networks, then claim to support UKIP, is worrying.

The problem UKIP have is the accelerated growth of support which means they cannot control their own borders. They are attracting extreme elements to their party. Perhaps in time they will be seen as a more right wing Conservative Party, an established protest about it's move to middle. In a democratic society I respect that, even if I would never vote for it. But as they are now, their increasing popularity I find concerning.

We also need to hear more on their social policies etc, if the party wants to establish itself in mainstream politics.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I agree entirely Lord B. Higher education, indeed all education, is an investment and the country as a whole benefits from a broader skill base, higher tax revenues and greater life expectancy.

Spot on el pres, I don't know where we'd be without the plethora of media studies, travel and tourism and film studies graduates of the last 15 years.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Spot on el pres, I don't know where we'd be without the plethora of media studies, travel and tourism and film studies graduates of the last 15 years.

You watch ITV2 as well do you [MENTION=11956]bushy[/MENTION] ? I bet you're as addicted to Real Hollywood Wives as I am.

Having a snifter after the game tonight?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Given that there is minimum wage legislation, how can the Poles and Lithuanians work for less than the locals?

Has it occurred to you that some employers might be a tad unscrupulous and not comply with the said legislation , there are Christ knows how many illegals in this country who are also working in the economy, albeit the black version.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Although UKIP's messages will undoubtedly resonate with many voters my worry is that with no experience in government it could be a real car crash if they sweep to power.

The Greens have shown what can happen if you put the inexperienced in charge. Yes many of their policies seem appealing on paper but also a tad worrying once confronted with the reality of having to take proper decisions that have real consequences for real people.

I'm all for challenging the traditional political parties and injecting some fresh blood into government but it is a two edged sword and I'm worried what chaos could ensue, certainly in the short term.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here