Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would you take 7th place, if offered now?

Would you take finishing 7th this season?

• Yep - decent

Votes: 458 76.8%
  • No - we can get a Champions League spot

Votes: 138 23.2%

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Given that we need to overhaul a 6 point gap to rise one place in the table to sixth, whereas the 4 teams immediately below us are within 3 points, I'd definitely take 7th if offered.

I mean I suppose we could in theory finish 5th (maybe even 4th) but the percentage call from this position would be to take 7th if offered.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No. We can do better than that.

Do you think Tony Bloom or RDZ would take 7th place?

Yes, I think they would

'There is no ceiling' - Tony Bloom.
That refers to long term possibilities. For example, we're not winning the title this year. Taking 7th this season wouldn't limit what we could achieve in other seasons.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Yes, I think they would

That refers to long term possibilities. For example, we're not winning the title this year. Taking 7th this season wouldn't limit what we could achieve in other seasons.
But Adingra has apparently let slip the club target of a top 5 finish.

Are you saying that Bloom, having achieved 7th spot, after a 5-0 demolition of Sheff Utd, would drop his season target of a top 5 finish after only 25 games?
Doesn't seem very likely. Bloom is a bit more ambitious than that.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Are you saying that Bloom, having achieved 7th spot, after a 5-0 demolition of Sheff Utd, would drop his season target of a top 5 finish after only 25 games?
To be honest, I'd be disappointed if our players didn't think like that - 5th place is still there to be won (although making up 9 points in 13 games is unlikely). But as fans, we can see that there are a queue of 4 clubs (3 with bigger stadiums and deeper pockets) all within 3 points of us.

It's certainly the case that we could yet reach 4th or 5th if we go on a fantastic run of results, but equally a far fewer number of shit results would leave us in 11th.

7th place could even be a Europa league spot if the English coefficient is high enough and Liverpool beat Chelsea next weekend.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I’d be very pleased with 7th and astonished by anything higher. I'm a very positive person usually but I’m finding it hard to imagine us making up a lot of ground. We have a lot of tough home games to come — City, Arsenal, Villa, ManU, the improving Chelsea etc. Combined with a return to RDZ's see-sawing team selections now that the Europa is back with us (+FA Cup), I’m slightly nervous. Biggest plus point is the return of Fati who I still think owes us at least a couple of sensational match-winning performances before he goes, plus the possibility of seeing Barco this season. I know plenty of people think it’ll be months before we hear of him again but I’d love to see Roberto chuck him in against Arsenal or Chelsea, and see how he responds. Maybe I’m a sucker for the hype but I think he’ll be a sensation.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
the possibility of seeing Barco this season. I know plenty of people think it’ll be months before we hear of him again but I’d love to see Roberto chuck him in against Arsenal or Chelsea, and see how he responds. Maybe I’m a sucker for the hype but I think he’ll be a sensation.
I am really looking forward to seeing this dude, you know he will get a straight red now though after 10 minutes cameo, and then be loaned out next season...

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I think the plan here would be to fight for a top 5 finish and be pleased with a 7th. I personally believe one should always aim higher than one thinks can be realistically achieved anyway - that way, the realistic goals are much more likely to be realised.

We are still too erratic in our performances (partly due to players still recovering from injuries/out of action/losing concentration for chunks of the game but I think also because we are not being clinical enough in front of goal and still losing possession too easily at times from unforced errors (especially in our DMF areas) - Although Sunday’s game gave us a great result, I’ll duck my head and say, Sheffield practically handed us 5 goals on plate.

Luton, Chelsea, Burnley, Everton, at home to Sheffield, Wolves were all matches where we dropped potential points - not top 5 performances.

No complaints though, a 7th place finish would be excellent in a season where we were group winners in Europe with a squad largely composed of the walking wounded and one match away from the quarter finals of the FA Cup - to date, that is pretty good going so far and with Mitoma, Adingra and Fati back there are clear signs our performances will improve in key areas. And yes, el Colo is a very exciting prospect who could be important for us by the end of the season.

Last edited:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I think the plan here would be to fight for a top 5 finish and be pleased with a 7th. I personally believe one should always aim higher than one thinks can be realistically achieved anyway - that way, the realistic goals are much more likely to be realised.

We are still too erratic in our performances (partly due to players still recovering from injuries/out of action/losing concentration for chunks of the game but I think also because we are not being clinical enough in front of goal and still losing possession too easily at times from unforced errors (especially in our DMF areas) - Although Sunday’s game gave us a great result, I’ll duck my head and say, Sheffield practically handed us 5 goals on plate.

Luton, Chelsea, Burnley, Everton, at home to Sheffield, Wolves were all matches where we dropped potential points - not top 5 performances.

No complaints though, a 7th place finish would be excellent in a season where we were group winners in Europe with a squad largely composed of the walking wounded and one match away from the quarter finals of the FA Cup - to date, that is pretty good going so far and with Mitoma, Adingra and Fati back there are clear signs our performances will improve in key areas. And yes, el Colo is a very exciting prospect who could be important for us by the end of the season.
I know what you mean. Sheff Utd's marking was to be kind, sporadic. Welbeck's goal and Adingra's first goal were scored from unchallenged shots in the box. The other goals were a goalmouth scrap, an own goal and a deflection.

I'd like to think that Mitoma and Adingra also opened them up as well, by occupying the full backs and stretching the back line, leaving more space.

It's always difficult (for me anyway), to answer the question, did we win because we were so good, or because the opposition were so poor?

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I’m sure this is covered already but can’t find it. I’m confused about questions about whether 7th is a guaranteed European slot. My understanding is that it is for the conference league, unless Chelsea win the Milk Cup and finish below 7th? If we get one of the extra CL spots, 7th would become a Europa League spot and 8th becomes a ECL spot. Have I got that right?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I’m sure this is covered already but can’t find it. I’m confused about questions about whether 7th is a guaranteed European slot. My understanding is that it is for the conference league, unless Chelsea win the Milk Cup and finish below 7th? If we get one of the extra CL spots, 7th would become a Europa League spot and 8th becomes a ECL spot. Have I got that right?
One more reason to hope that Liverpool beat Chelsea this Sunday.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If Chelsea win the League Cup (come on Liverpool!) they will take one of our two Europa League spots. So unless the possible fifth CL place becomes reality, 5th. place will get the remaining Europa League spot, 6th, will get the Conference - and 7th, zilch.
An 'outsider' winning the FA Cup could complicate things still further, I think.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

But that's a completely different thing. We're talking about a hypothetical scenario that doesn't exist.

The team will try to win every match they play. What De Zerbi tells them in order to get the most out of them is another subject.

You say it doesn't seem like Bloom, but we're talking about an imaginary idea. Right now he'll want us to finish as high as possible, but he'll know we could finish well below. 7th would be pretty good, I think he'd take it.

We (and possibly he) will never know.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Need to beat Manure on the final day, its written in the stars. Yesterday's GD boost could be crucial
This is it. Stay within 2 points of them, has to be the plan. They won't overturn our superior GD .

Beat them on the final day and leapfrog them back into the Europa League.

I might even allow myself a "you've seen the Albion now **** off home" to serenade them out of the stadium.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
To be honest, I'd be disappointed if our players didn't think like that - 5th place is still there to be won (although making up 9 points in 13 games is unlikely). But as fans, we can see that there are a queue of 4 clubs (3 with bigger stadiums and deeper pockets) all within 3 points of us.

It's certainly the case that we could yet reach 4th or 5th if we go on a fantastic run of results, but equally a far fewer number of shit results would leave us in 11th.

7th place could even be a Europa league spot if the English coefficient is high enough and Liverpool beat Chelsea next weekend.
Yeah this.
We play shit or bust football. Settling for 7th now isn't really aligned to that ethos.

I would say our expected finishing spot is 7th/8th going by remaining games/current form.
But I would hope we can go up a level from where we've been.

United are getting through games winning by the odd goal.
All of the other contenders are every bit as inconsistent as we have been.
We all have to play each other and most still have to play City/Liverpool & Arsenal (chelsea excepted)

Settling for 7th doesn't feel right to me.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yeah this.
We play shit or bust football. Settling for 7th now isn't really aligned to that ethos.

I would say our expected finishing spot is 7th/8th going by remaining games/current form.
But I would hope we can go up a level from where we've been.

United are getting through games winning by the odd goal.
All of the other contenders are every bit as inconsistent as we have been.
We all have to play each other and most still have to play City/Liverpool & Arsenal (chelsea excepted)

Settling for 7th doesn't feel right to me.
Those games against the teams around us are going to be massive. They will feel as tense as the Europa games to me at least.

I can't get the nagging thought out of my head that the teams we've played twice are Palace, Sheff Utd, Sham, Spurs, Wolves and Luton. That leaves us with a lot of tough games to come.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I'm still taking 7th if it was offered now - another European adventure would be amazing!

I think there is a greater chance of us moving down the table than up.
We have drawn against Burnley, Sheffield United, etc. and this is not the time to get complacent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here