Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would You Be In Favour Of Mandatory Mask Wearing Again?

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I'm the opposite. I don't mind being around people with colds etc. Need to keep the immune system exposed to bugs in order for it to remain resilient against them.

We probably should behave as naturally as we can, at least until there are signs that the NHS could be at risk, so we are exposed to these bugs as we always will be.

I had that 'super cold' earlier in the month and it was the worst of my life. I put that down entirely due to not being exposed to bugs over the last year and a half.

No, I drink gallons of orange juice a day for my Vitamin C and the first sign that someone's got a cold or a cough (unless it's family and the inevitability of it) then it's mask fully on and getting away from them as soon as possible. There was a group of Croatians on the train coming home last Saturday at a very busy time - and this guy sneezed EIGHT times in sucession! I felt the need to apologise and get away from them as soon as possible. Giving up my seat on the train has probably stopped me from staying in bed all day, dosed up on Lemsip and paracetamol while trying to breathe through my bum as my nose and throat are blocked with phlegm. Ugh!

You are crazy, Mustafa! :mad:

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Don't you think having high cases now reduces the chance of a lockdown this winter. The more cases now, the fewer there will be down the line.

I don't understand your logic here. Why does more cases now mean less later? Do you think the virus is going to run out of victims?
I suspect the government and their advisors knows this, but for obvious reasons can't declare it.

I d

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Then they're cowards. There are 179 families today, and 223 yesterday, and who knows how many tomorrow, who deserve an explanation. That their loved ones haven't been basically sacrificed needlessly by the Government because it's too politically difficult to persuade selfish people to put masks on or get a vaccine.
Are you saying that it's the government's fault if someone dies unvaccinated, because the government should have worked harder to persuade them?

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
How can you pinpoint the precise moment you caught a cold ????

Because as I work from home the Amex was the only public place I had been leading-up to getting ill. That and the fact that there were several thousand sweaty blokes crammed into a confined space not wearing masks I reckon the chances were pretty high that is where I caught a virus...

Funnell

Jan 10, 2012
Yes whilst a minor inconvenience if it makes people especially the elderly feel safe about living their lives then I'm happy to do so.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Are you saying that it's the government's fault if someone dies unvaccinated, because the government should have worked harder to persuade them?

Everyone who died was unvaccinated, were they?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It is desirable to have high case numbers now, rather than later. These countries are delaying the inevitable, whereas our frequent exposure to covid is boosting immunity throughout both the vaccinated and unvaccinated.

It is exactly where we need to be. Flu & covid cases are going to explode in the winter in all countries including here. We need to have highly immune, highly vaccinated (against flu & covid, inc. booster) by then, and our currently high cases are contributing to that.

We will certainly need restrictions including social distancing, mask wearing, etc as flu season approaches anyway - but for now, the UK will benefit from high case numbers and frequent exposure to the virus. Most of us are exposed to it on a daily basis and won't even know about it.

B5750EA4-D019-4DBA-BBEA-C539096B861D.jpeg

Scunner

Feb 26, 2012
Near Heathfield
No, and if you support wearing them you're probably suffering from some kind of mild derangement.

There is no evidence, anywhere, of any kind of efficacy when it comes to mask wearing, and plenty of empirical data to the contrary.

It's an aerosol transmitted respiratory virus, fomite and droplet transmission is a myth. Trying to stop it with a manky-hanky over your face makes a finger in a dam look productive.

You will catch SARS-COV-2. If you're very very unlucky - circa 10% of infections - you will contract COVID-19. If you're obese, over 70, or suffer from hypertension or anxiety you will have a very small probability of dying parsed from the 10% of infections that become serious. For those not in those categories the probability is microscopic.

This will be here forever, and mask wearing and general foolishness of a similar nature has to stop, otherwise it will never end. The virus is already endemic and 7-10,000 people will die from it every year, vaccinated or otherwise.

600,000 people die in the UK every year, the vast majority of whom are over 70, with an average age of 82. Of that majority a significant amount die from respiratory tract infections causing chest infections and pneumonia.

Imagine if - prior to 2020 - we had routinely tested millions of people every day for the (then) common cold. How many of the 1,600 people that die every day would have tested positive for a cold 28 days prior to their death do you think? Quite a proportion. And most of them would not have died because of that cold, which demonstrates the ridiculousness of the 'within 28 days' denominator. Further, those over 80 that had a symptomatic cold would die in fairly high numbers.

SARS-COV-2 arrived in the UK as a novel virus in January 2020, there was no immunity. It was always going to cause an epidemic spike in deaths. That's not going to happen again. It will cause seasonal endemic waves.

That's it.

Keep on sailing in this ship of fools if you want to but I won't be.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
No, and if you support wearing them you're probably suffering from some kind of mild derangement.

There is no evidence, anywhere, of any kind of efficacy when it comes to mask wearing, and plenty of empirical data to the contrary.

It's an aerosol transmitted respiratory virus, fomite and droplet transmission is a myth. Trying to stop it with a manky-hanky over your face makes a finger in a dam look productive.

You will catch SARS-COV-2. If you're very very unlucky - circa 10% of infections - you will contract COVID-19. If you're obese, over 70, or suffer from hypertension or anxiety you will have a very small probability of dying parsed from the 10% of infections that become serious. For those not in those categories the probability is microscopic.

This will be here forever, and mask wearing and general foolishness of a similar nature has to stop, otherwise it will never end. The virus is already endemic and 7-10,000 people will die from it every year, vaccinated or otherwise.

600,000 people die in the UK every year, the vast majority of whom are over 70, with an average age of 82. Of that majority a significant amount die from respiratory tract infections causing chest infections and pneumonia.

Imagine if - prior to 2020 - we had routinely tested millions of people every day for the (then) common cold. How many of the 1,600 people that die every day would have tested positive for a cold 28 days prior to their death do you think? Quite a proportion. And most of them would not have died because of that cold, which demonstrates the ridiculousness of the 'within 28 days' denominator. Further, those over 80 that had a symptomatic cold would die in fairly high numbers.

SARS-COV-2 arrived in the UK as a novel virus in January 2020, there was no immunity. It was always going to cause an epidemic spike in deaths. That's not going to happen again. It will cause seasonal endemic waves.

That's it.

Er, okay. A mask may not be that efficacious in stopping one catching Covid but it is effective in helping stop the spread.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
You are quoting numbers as if everyone was and in perfectly fine health.

No I wasn’t, indeed it was even me who first bought up the number.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018

That's it.

Please link to the reports and studies you are refering to about face masks.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
No I wasn’t, indeed it was even me who first bought up the number.

Just got a bit funny when someone pointed out about vaccines then?

Why would they need an explanation?

Ok, what’s the break down ?

I’m sure you have that rather than just quoting a number of people reported that day.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Just got a bit funny when someone pointed out about vaccines then?

Why would they need an explanation?

Ok, what’s the break down ?

I’m sure you have that rather than just quoting a number of people reported that day.

Why don’t you ask our friend from Burnley as he was the one to bring up unvaccinated people and insinuated all those dying are so.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

That's it.

Well, no doubting your persuasion! Apart from the Brazilian maniac I know of no other country that haven't strongly advocated mask wearing as one (even small) tool to combat the spread.

"Plenty of empirical data to show they don't work" ... who the feck are you trying to kid? Like a few others you want to peddle the (non) fact that this is something that only afflicts the elderly.

People like you make me want to puke (if that gets me a ban so be it)

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
Well, no doubting your persuasion! Apart from the Brazilian maniac I know of no other country that haven't strongly advocated mask wearing as one (even small) tool to combat the spread.

"Plenty of empirical data to show they don't work" ... who the feck are you trying to kid? Like a few others you want to peddle the (non) fact that this is something that only afflicts the elderly.

People like you make me want to puke (if that gets me a ban so be it)

You just have to look their twitter feed; retweeting random people posting anti lockdown and anti mask nonsense, interspersed with Lozza Fox.

No credible people at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here