Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would we take £170k for Dickinson??

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I would, quite literally, bite Peterborough's hand off for £170,000 for Dickinson.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Will probably get taken apart for this but I thought Dickinson got some harsh stick from a lot of people (and continues to do so, evidently). What people seem to forget is Dickinson was largely played

(a) as a target man early season when we were lumping 80 yard balls from back to front- I don't blame him for not being prolific- or
(b) as an impact sub, usually running from deep or out wide, thus never being in the right position to make a difference in the 18 yard box.

Now we're playing good football I would personally like to see him given another chance, not because I think he'll be a 30-goal man, but because what I saw of him he looked to have a good footballing brain and he worked hard for the team- cut out the ridiculous diving about like Drogba, get him staying in on a friday night instead of getting pissed up in the city centre and get him some decent service and maybe, just maybe, he'd prove the early season inadequacies were just a 'settling in blip'.

That said, do I think he's the player to lead us into the Championship? No, I don't. Do I think he'll be here next season? I doubt it, I think Gus has made up his mind and Dickinson doesn't fit into his plans.

But Dickinson (10) with proper service from Hendrie, Bennett, Dicker, LuaLua etc, and with Murray (15-20), Barnes (10) and a big-money striker (20+) in the new season, plus the midfield chipping in, that'd give us a good springboard for promotion, or at least a push for the playoffs.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Where's the logic in that?

your saying that Darren Bent is shit because he couldn't score for a top premiership side who create him lots of easier chances and can only score for Sunderland when he does most of the work on his own.

I see your logic!!!

I think the logic is more a case of Liam Dickinson as the big fish of the team, with everything catered to him performs better than a Liam Dickinson who has to fit in with the team of players who are equally or more important than him.

Tottenham wouldn't change the way they play to get the best of Bent, he had to produce his best in their system, but didn't have the quality to do so, whereas Sunderland will build their team around his strengths.

Will probably get taken apart for this but I thought Dickinson got some harsh stick from a lot of people (and continues to do so, evidently). What people seem to forget is Dickinson was largely played

(a) as a target man early season when we were lumping 80 yard balls from back to front- I don't blame him for not being prolific- or
(b) as an impact sub, usually running from deep or out wide, thus never being in the right position to make a difference in the 18 yard box.

Now we're playing good football I would personally like to see him given another chance, not because I think he'll be a 30-goal man, but because what I saw of him he looked to have a good footballing brain and he worked hard for the team- cut out the ridiculous diving about like Drogba, get him staying in on a friday night instead of getting pissed up in the city centre and get him some decent service and maybe, just maybe, he'd prove the early season inadequacies were just a 'settling in blip'.

That said, do I think he's the player to lead us into the Championship? No, I don't. Do I think he'll be here next season? I doubt it, I think Gus has made up his mind and Dickinson doesn't fit into his plans.

But Dickinson (10) with proper service from Hendrie, Bennett, Dicker, LuaLua etc, and with Murray (15-20), Barnes (10) and a big-money striker (20+) in the new season, plus the midfield chipping in, that'd give us a good springboard for promotion, or at least a push for the playoffs.

I would agree with that.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Those that are banging on about the video being Division 4, etc. Here's his stats in the Championship. Where we apparently want to be:

- P'boro
- - Started: 7
- - Sub: 0
- - Goals: 3

- B'pool
- - Started: 5
- - Sub: 2
- - Goals: 4

So thats 12 starts, and 7 goals, in the Championship. Not bad, huh?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If people are biting off Posh's hand for £170K when the lad's scored 3 in 7 in the Championship then we clearly paid at least double what he was worth at the time.

Philcounty

Feb 25, 2009
Congleton
Dicko is quality if he is handled right. Firstly you need a no nonsense manager like Gannnon to keep him focussed and secondly you need to realise that just because he is tall doesn't mean he is a target man who you can hoof the ball at. In the video you will see 90% of his goals came from passing moves with the ball played to his feet or for him to run on to.

He is a bit temperamental in personality (plenty of examples of decent players who were) but if handled by the right manager he could easily be a 20+ a season striker in League 1 (I reckon he could get 20+ in the Champ too).

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Dicko is quality if he is handled right. Firstly you need a no nonsense manager like Gannnon to keep him focussed and secondly you need to realise that just because he is tall doesn't mean he is a target man who you can hoof the ball at. In the video you will see 90% of his goals came from passing moves with the ball played to his feet or for him to run on to.

He is a bit temperamental in personality (plenty of examples of decent players who were) but if handled by the right manager he could easily be a 20+ a season striker in League 1 (I reckon he could get 20+ in the Champ too).

It's not just his ability (which, by the way, I also don't think is good enough) that I don't rate.

I would go as far as to say he is one of my least favourite players I have seen play for the club. He has a TERRIBLE attitute, moans almost constantly, falls to the floor at every opportunity, refuses to head the ball, doesn't have a great touch and hasn't scored goals for us.

All this and he is, at £300,000, in our top five most expensive players of all time.

I went to watch a training session earlier in the season and while all the other players were training sensibly and working hard, Dickinson was just running about smashing balls all over the place. It was actually embarassing to watch.

Derby obviously saw us coming and absolutely mugged us for £300,000.

Last edited:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It's not just his ability (which, by the way, I also don't think is good enough) that I don't rate.

I would go as far as to say he is one of my least favourite players I have see play for the club. He has a TERRIBLE attitute, moans almost constantly, falls to the floor at every opportunity, refuses to head the ball, doesn't have a great touch and hasn't scored goals for us.

All this and he is, at £300,000, in our top five most expensive players of all time.

I went to watch a training session earlier in the season and while all the other players were training sensibly and working hard, Dickinson was just running about smashing balls all over the place. It was actually eambarassing to watch.

Derby obviously saw us coming and absolutely mugged us for £300,000.

Derby paid a massive £750,000 for him in 2008. Admittedly he was bought by 1 manager and sold by another so it's not that he didn't perform whilst there but the new manager didn't see him as part of his plans.

We got a bargain at £300,000 and we should give him a Pre-season under Gus and see what he can do in our team of flair.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Big Dick could be used in a swap deal but the valuation would have to be nearer £200k.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
I don't agree, they loaned him out. The club who loaned him haven't really played him much. I think he'll probably leave them in the summer as it is anyway, and we paid atleast £300,000 for Dickinson so accepting just over half a year later would be daft business, without getting someone else in return. Maybe it's a bit ambitious to hope for Boyd, but it's not unrealistic I don't think.

Countless? Source? Or is this another case of "he's at a different club, he must be brilliant" syndrome?

You have to be joking. Have you seen Boyd play? He is worth at least a mill' and to suggest him + £170,000 for yellow lead boots is "a possibility" is bordering on the insane!

I despair!!!

Last edited:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Those that are banging on about the video being Division 4, etc. Here's his stats in the Championship. Where we apparently want to be:

- P'boro
- - Started: 7
- - Sub: 0
- - Goals: 3

- B'pool
- - Started: 5
- - Sub: 2
- - Goals: 4

So thats 12 starts, and 7 goals, in the Championship. Not bad, huh?

And therefore worth more than 170K

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Id prefer if we got him back and gave another chance to, as Holroyd doesnt look like could do it yet for us, i think Dickinson add some height and power up front and £300,000 a lot of money to pay for him and give up on, he also is only 24 so give him time, i hope we dont sell him as peterboro be in our league, this guy needs games and confidence

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Id prefer if we got him back and gave another chance to, as Holroyd doesnt look like could do it yet for us, i think Dickinson add some height and power up front and £300,000 a lot of money to pay for him and give up on, he also is only 24 so give him time, i hope we dont sell him as peterboro be in our league, this guy needs games and confidence

£300k is only a rumoured amount. No one has confirmed how much he cost, some saying it could have risen to 300k, depending on appearances/goals etc. Some saying the 300k was plucked out of the air.

He may be tall, but anyone who has seen him play will know he is not a great header of the ball, his height isn't a particular asset to the team.

Though I would like to see him given a chance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here