Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Worst football match….

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
The 5-0 defeat at Palace just about tops the lot - I left at 60 minutes as I couldn’t take any more punishment and humiliation.

This has to be the worst one for me too - but what I want to know is how you managed to leave on 60 mins ? When the firth goal went in with about 20 mins to go hundreds of us tried to leave and the old bill kept the gates shut and weren’t letting anyone out. Amusingly, people were joking about starting a fire so they would have to let us out !

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
This has to be the worst one for me too - but what I want to know is how you managed to leave on 60 mins ? When the firth goal went in with about 20 mins to go hundreds of us tried to leave and the old bill kept the gates shut and weren’t letting anyone out. Amusingly, people were joking about starting a fire so they would have to let us out !

I tried to leave before the end.

Having to put up with usual nonsense from my police force, convincing them I was actually a Londoner (and didn't need to be put on a train to Brighton) they opened the gate.

I was then smashed with a riot shield outside from a paranoid member of her Majesty's finest who thought I had forced the door.

I thought at the time they needed to be placed under "special measures" and it's remarkable the authorities have taken so long to catch up.

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
Worst from an Albion perspective - 7-1 away at Huddersfield, 1-5 (I think) at home to Stoke last game of the season, 0-2 home to Kidderminster, losing comfortably to Walsall at home who played much of the game with 9 men.

Worst Albion from a quality perspective overall was Doncaster at Priestfield. Absolutely embarrassing to watch. And Mahoney-Johnson’s infamous 45 minutes was unlike anything seen before or since.

That Stoke game was the one I thought of, it was the earliest I have ever left a game. I just could not be bothered to be there a minute longer and left before half time. Then had to wait at Preston Park for an eternity for the train back to Brighton.

0-5 at Selhurst was beyond a disaster!
1-3 at Lincoln in the FA cup (2003) was appalling.
Any of the handful of “home” games that we went to at Gillingham

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Bristol Rovers early 90s. Biblical downpour. Got in late, soaked. Albion already a goal down. That's how it stayed.

Also my second ever game. Watford midweek in Feb. 89. FREEZING. 0-0. Dad took me home early before I caught pneumonia.

Didn't put me off though.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Brighton 1 Stoke City 5 in the final home game of the 2005/06 season. Adam Rooney scored a hat trick for them. We were absolutely woeful. I can excuse lack of ability, but not lack of effort. We were just going through the motions. It’s the only Brighton game where I’ve left before the final whistle!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Brighton 1 Stoke City 5 in the final home game of the 2005/06 season. Adam Rooney scored a hat trick for them. We were absolutely woeful. I can excuse lack of ability, but not lack of effort. We were just going through the motions. It’s the only Brighton game where I’ve left before the final whistle!

And a damp squib finale to an awful season. I was driving past the ground, not long into the second half and was surprised to see the crowd heading home en masse.

For me, Albion 0-5 Bournemouth. Our awful RB was taken apart by Fraser, we started with a rubbish EPL front-3 of Knockaert, Andone and Locadia, plus pedestrian Propper and Stephens.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
A few contenders: 0-0 v Darlington in our first season at Priestfield, the 5-0 horror at Selhurst are 2 main contenders. Also the 2-0 defeat at MK Dons where the fans turned on some of the players was grim and was the only time I have ever seriously questioned why I bothered being an Albion fan and considered packing it all in.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Saturday 14th January 1995 away at Crewe, just over 4200 fans, probably 120 Albion fans...

4-0 after about 20mins, it was so bad, as i have mentioned before at half time some supporters me included wanted to leave and the laughing stewards made us stay until about 65mins and they then finally let us out....

The score remained 4-0

That is the only game I have ever left early from, it was plain to see that there were major issues with the squad, it just left you so flat and disheartened, thinking it can't get much worse, but it can, and it did, boy did it get worse....

Thankfully we can look back now, and appreciate things we have now slightly more when we draw at home 0-0 with Norwich or something.
We earnt our stripes, and have the scares, and now the light at the end of the tunnel....

Boy is it bright.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here