[Football] Worst football match….

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Two here of interest form today’s Gruinard;

‘Every single minute was miserable’
Brighton 4-0 Barnet, 2008
My friends said they were coming with me, so I bought my ticket and got off work early. None of them came so I was on my own. The game was terrible. We lost 4-0, the first goal coming after only 90 seconds. The ground and pitch were both appalling. Both teams ended the game with 10 men. Several Barnet fans were thrown out for being drunk and belligerent. The train back to London was delayed. Seven hours of my life I will never get back. Every single minute was miserable. Victoria Sharkey, 45

‘A 14-hour day for absolutely nothing’
Crystal Palace 0-3 Swansea, 2010

(From a Swansea fan)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/oct/07/absolute-tripe-readers-worst-football-matches-seen

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Worst game I've ever seen was, I think, the first one. 0-0 draw on Boxing Day against Pompey in 1989. My Dad swears he hasn't seen a worse day since.

That said, my eldest son's first game was the 0-5 home defeat against Bournemouth.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Mine was at Withdean against Burnley in 2006, I think. From memory we lost 1-0 but that wasn’t what made it bad. This was the first match that the “rugger couple” started sitting behind me. Every few seconds, whatever was happening in the game;

“COME ON LADS. THAT’S IT LADS! COME ON BOYS”

In posh public school accents. Like parents on the touch line. So cringey. So annoying .

Did my nut in.

One day someone turned to them and said “will you shut the **** up”.

I didn’t see them much after that.

And I burnt my fingers on a chicken pie when they’d run out of wooden forks that day too. And it was consistent drizzle all the way through.

Last edited:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
First game I watched with my Airline Pilot Mate, we were in the Championship and he had persuaded me to go for my first professional game in many, many years.

Blackpool were rock bottom and certain to drop down to League 1, clearly a game Brighton should have cruised.

Of course it ended up 0 - 0 with both sides being lucky to get nil. I turned to Andy and said "is it as bad as this every week?" :ohmy:

Jul 7, 2003
Our 0-0 Valentines game with Doncaster at Priestfield would take some beating

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm in a FB group about football where someone uploaded this article. My response;

My own shittest game story - bit like the first one in the article;

1999. Brighton have lost their ground and are at a low point, we are in the depths of League Two (Division Three in old money) and we are PROPERLY shit.
We have no money and the football is absolutely dire.

We’ve lost our ground and the closest team we could find to ground share with us is GILLINGHAM - 172 mile round trip from home.

We decide to make the trip on a rainy, cold winter's day. We get hopelessly lost near the ground and nearly crash as my dad tries to navigate the local junctions.

We arrive at the ground 20 minutes late - hear on the Radio that Brighton are already 1-0 down. We stand outside the giant blue gates, getting pissed on as we try to find a way in.
Eventually a steward lets us in for the 2nd half (2-0 down at half time).

We lose 3-1 - think it was Carlisle? Dad is in a FOUL mood the entire way home, driving angrily in dangerously wet weather. “Never again” is all he says.

I don’t think we did any more “home” games at Gillingham.

Last edited:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
BHA v Barnet - bonfire night 1997 at the pissfield. It was a Wednesday evening and I’ve still not got over it ….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Worst game I've ever seen was Clapton FC 0-0 Southend Manor, last season. It was quite clear from about the 2nd minute that was no one was ever going to score. It also ended my mates run of 160 games without seeing a 0-0.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Pre-season friendly v Sheff W mid 90s we were battered. Left at half time to go to the pub

Actually it turns out (from Interweb) it was Foster's testimonial - '26/7/96 Brighton 1-7 SWFC (Hirst 3 [1 pen], Pembridge 2, Donaldson, Booth) - Testimonial for Foster'

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
1999 0-4 loss to Darlington at Gillingham. Gabbiadini hat trick. Four hour drive home.

Yep, that was the worst Brighton performance for sure ... and it was raining, just to add to the misery,

The worst actual game though was the aforementioned St Valentine's Day non-massacre between Brighton and Donny, where both managers put out pub teams masquerading as league footballers - although Michael Mahoney-Johnson looked like he'd struggle in the Dog and Duck seconds.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I have pretty much erased Gillingham from my memory, not deliberately, it was just utterly forgettable

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I was working in Switzerland in the 90s and saw that Zurich were at home to Servette. Chance to tick off a new ground methinks and I persuaded a colleague to come with me. It was cold, miserable, sparsely attended, athletics track in the way of a good view, those that were there were screaming for the manager to go, 0-0 at half time. And that’s when we left, the only game I have ever left that early. It probably finished up 5-5, I didn’t dare check just in case!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was working in Switzerland in the 90s and saw that Zurich were at home to Servette. Chance to tick off a new ground methinks and I persuaded a colleague to come with me. It was cold, miserable, sparsely attended, athletics track in the way of a good view, those that were there were screaming for the manager to go, 0-0 at half time. And that’s when we left, the only game I have ever left that early. It probably finished up 5-5, I didn’t dare check just in case!

I had a completely different experience in Switzerland. I was in Geneva for work and I noticed that Geneva were home one evening (against Lucerne). I had a great seat near the halfway line, with a bar just behind me. It was 2-2 after 10 minutes, 5-3 at half-time and finished 6-3. I'd say that it's the best non-Brighton match I'd been to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here