[Football] Worst football match….

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I had a completely different experience in Switzerland. I was in Geneva for work and I noticed that Geneva were home one evening (against Lucerne). I had a great seat near the halfway line, with a bar just behind me. It was 2-2 after 10 minutes, 5-3 at half-time and finished 6-3. I'd say that it's the best non-Brighton match I'd been to.

Haha, glad your experience was better than mine! I have actually seen a lot of games around the globe but that one stood out as the worst by far. Next time I was brave enough to go to a game in Switzerland was in Euro 2008 which was a cracking match between the Netherlands and Russia. I felt I could forget my Zurich experience for good until I saw this thread!

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
I can't believe this thread has nearly reached three pages and no-one has mentioned the seven one defeat at Huddersfield. The home fans were amazed so many of us were still there at the end. I must admit, I don't know why.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Haha, glad your experience was better than mine! I have actually seen a lot of games around the globe but that one stood out as the worst by far. Next time I was brave enough to go to a game in Switzerland was in Euro 2008 which was a cracking match between the Netherlands and Russia. I felt I could forget my Zurich experience for good until I saw this thread!

Glad you managed to get a decent game in - must have helped banish memories of the old one.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
1999 0-4 loss to Darlington at Gillingham. Gabbiadini hat trick. Four hour drive home.

That was the first thought that popped into my head. Didn't the great man score all four? I seem to recall Tony Hately lording it over us, playing for Hull at P'filled, too. Great days :facepalm:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Worst from an Albion perspective - 7-1 away at Huddersfield, 1-5 (I think) at home to Stoke last game of the season, 0-2 home to Kidderminster, losing comfortably to Walsall at home who played much of the game with 9 men.

Worst Albion from a quality perspective overall was Doncaster at Priestfield. Absolutely embarrassing to watch. And Mahoney-Johnson’s infamous 45 minutes was unlike anything seen before or since.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That was the first thought that popped into my head. Didn't the great man score all four? I seem to recall Tony Hately lording it over us, playing for Hull at P'filled, too. Great days :facepalm:

Tony Hateley retired in the mid-70s, I think you mean Mark. Mind you, the way we were playing Gillingham, Tony could probably have done the business too

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Slades last game we lost to Oldham at Withers, it was so poor I don’t think TB had any choice but to sack him after that.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Can't say I enjoyed losing 5 nil at Palace.
I think it was 4 nil away to Oldham in a rain storm in the mid 80s, then as we left an Oldham nazi gobbed on my mate.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Pre-season friendly v Sheff W mid 90s we were battered. Left at half time to go to the pub

Actually it turns out (from Interweb) it was Foster's testimonial - '26/7/96 Brighton 1-7 SWFC (Hirst 3 [1 pen], Pembridge 2, Donaldson, Booth) - Testimonial for Foster'

Glenn Hoddle played for us that night in the second half. Looked class amongst a lot of average players!

Ghost of Killer Reeves

Oct 3, 2020
Somerset

Andy Naylor’s Argus report, dug out from my box of tat, gives the fourth goal as a Smith own goal. Good photo of Mark Ormerod stood up holding the upright and banging his head deliberately against the post following the award of the penalty for Dario’s fourth.

Blue&WhiteSea

Jul 5, 2003
Sutton
LDV vans game against Wycombe at Withdrawn, went to extra time and everyone was begging for someone to score just so we could go home!

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Less because of the game (though I remember it being rubbish) but the circumstances. 2-1 defeat to Mansfield in the FA Cup at Withdean in January 2008. Shortly before mini-Exile was born and the chance for a night out with mates or instead the last opportunity to watch the Albion for a few months and I chose the latter thinking nailed on win. Obviously Mansfield, 91st in the league, hadn't won away all season, ruined that.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Blackburn Rovers away, November 1991.

Lost 1-0 but that was the least of it.

Blinding headache and ill all the way home. Albion fan decides to smash up a table and the BTP are called. Train was already running very late and we were ferried into taxis at Victoria.

Got home about 2.30 in the morning, still unwell. Awful, awful day. Raining, yucky, and the pre-match beer festival in Darwin had no cider.

Nothing will ever come close to the crapiness of that day. Ever.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Two here of interest form today’s Gruinard;

‘Every single minute was miserable’
Brighton 4-0 Barnet, 2008
My friends said they were coming with me, so I bought my ticket and got off work early. None of them came so I was on my own. The game was terrible. We lost 4-0, the first goal coming after only 90 seconds. The ground and pitch were both appalling. Both teams ended the game with 10 men. Several Barnet fans were thrown out for being drunk and belligerent. The train back to London was delayed. Seven hours of my life I will never get back. Every single minute was miserable. Victoria Sharkey, 45

‘A 14-hour day for absolutely nothing’
Crystal Palace 0-3 Swansea, 2010

(From a Swansea fan)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/oct/07/absolute-tripe-readers-worst-football-matches-seen

I was at the first of these in the away end. Most Barnet fans had been on the lash all afternoon and things got quite unpleasant at half-time with the score at 4-0, Virgo getting a couple I seem to remember - the first completely unmarked on the goals shown the next day. Anyway, I seem to remember a mate getting thrown out for not being able to walk properly. The fact he had crutches was a clue to him not being inebriated. So a few fans turned on the police who were METROPOLITAN, not SUSSEX. The PC who was known, liked to get his figures up and arrested a couple for 'behaving in a threatening manner'. I was searched (presumably for drugs). When he didn't find anything he didn't apologise and was called a few choice words for it. I was not arrested, but told I was being thrown out. Fortunately, a pub was just 10-15 minutes away so a few ales were supped there with some other Barnet fans. The copper had a real grudge against the supporters because one of them was banging his missus around that time and got caught. :lolol:

Still, at least we didn't get caught in the Withdean rain that night. But a horrible experience nonetheless. It was weird being in the away end as Barnet have always been my second team.

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
one at the Goldstone

Gillingham league cup

they had their goalie sent off early, back then an outfield player went in goal

foregone conclusion

extra time and penalties later we lost

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Brighton 2:8 Bristol Rovers - 1 December 1973
Difficult to know where to start, but that game is near the top of my list. The home FA cup defeat in the mid 70s v non league Leatherhead 1-4 (?) - I may have the details wrong,it left me so scarred, but I know it was in the afternoon due to power shortages. The 5-0 defeat at Palace just about tops the lot - I left at 60 minutes as I couldn’t take any more punishment and humiliation.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Hartlepool 0 0 at Pissfield 1999? DRS as no trains from Strood or some other godforsaken Kent town i've long forgotten . A turgid display that bored me too death.

papachris

I remember us having a goaless draw with Burnley in the championship at a time when they were going for promotion and we were near the bottom. It was dreadful! I remember saying to my son that we weren't good enough and Burnley didn't even try.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports