Worst European Country

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pinkie

Feb 22, 2009
I lived in Edinburgh for 4 years and, whilst I had a lot of Scottish friends, there was also a lot of anti English racism, and it was not always good natured. It's a shame because I went up there excited about living in Scotland but left with quite a bitter taste of the place. I was living up there when England played Scotland in the Euros play-off. I have never known such a horrible, nasty atmosphere across a city than the evening England won 2-0. There were English people attacked all across the city. I girl I knew got glassed in the middle of the day in a student bar for being English. I had to get some of my Scottish friends to walk me home in the evening as there were people all about asking if you were English. Fortunately I can also do quite a good Scottish accent! Funny looking back, but it wasn't at the time. I also knew an English family up there who had their garage grafitti'd and windows smashed in by local schemies - just for being English. This night was, I should say, a bit of a one off. But there are still serious anti English racist undertones in Scotland.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Frogs,dagoes,belgoons,sour krauts,dud czechs,spics,etc-basically we don't like em or their countries cos their damn foreigners & they use strange money!And only some of them speak english.Ireland,north & south is great-just some of the inhabitants have been driven insane by the constant tap-tap-tap of water on the head.Absolute pits of Europe has to be France-fight with their feet & try to pro-create with their mouths.Always remember going to a pissoir (bog) in Boulogne,in a nice looking restaurant in the old town-stood there 'watering my horse' when the door at the other end opened & a waitress walked through with a 'bonjour' & some poor sods breakfast!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Did you read about the French Army yesterday? Started grass fires that are threatening Marseilles. It's a wonder they haven't surrendered.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Sorry to hear of two of you having crap experiences in Scotlands capital, perhaps explains a bit about why the weegies think they are a bit backward.
I havent come across anything as bad as what you have described but maybe i was somewhat immunised by the years of abuse i had to put up with living in Brighton, nothing as serious as being glassed i might add but abuse all the same, before learning to speak with an English accent.
Pinkie i dont doubt for one minute what you said is true but football isnt the best basis to judge a country, if that was the case then there are countless of foreign students who would claim that Brighton is the worst place in Europe after being on the receiving end after many English demises from European Championships and World Cups.
In fact after England beat Scotland in Euro 96 i was driving a cab in Brighton and a lad got in the cab and said he wanted to go and find some Jocks and give them a doing. I got out the cab, took off my jumper to reveal my Scotland shirt and told him he better start with me then. We never came to blows but i did enjoy watching the mouthy little twat squirm out of it.
Anyway i guess what im saying is BOTH countries have idiots who let their countries down.

Pinkie

Feb 22, 2009
Sorry to hear of two of you having crap experiences in Scotlands capital, perhaps explains a bit about why the weegies think they are a bit backward.
I havent come across anything as bad as what you have described but maybe i was somewhat immunised by the years of abuse i had to put up with living in Brighton, nothing as serious as being glassed i might add but abuse all the same, before learning to speak with an English accent.
Pinkie i dont doubt for one minute what you said is true but football isnt the best basis to judge a country, if that was the case then there are countless of foreign students who would claim that Brighton is the worst place in Europe after being on the receiving end after many English demises from European Championships and World Cups.
In fact after England beat Scotland in Euro 96 i was driving a cab in Brighton and a lad got in the cab and said he wanted to go and find some Jocks and give them a doing. I got out the cab, took off my jumper to reveal my Scotland shirt and told him he better start with me then. We never came to blows but i did enjoy watching the mouthy little twat squirm out of it.
Anyway i guess what im saying is BOTH countries have idiots who let their countries down.

Indeed. And I do like Scotland and still have good friends up there. For a weekend, Glasgow and Edinburgh are both normally top class too.

The one weird thing I found was Rangers fans, who sang GSTQ, waved Union Jacks, but would still give out fairly horrible abuse if they found you were English. Possibly the most screwed up, hate-filled rabble I have ever come across. They only use our national symbols as tools to show their hatred of Catholics.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Indeed. And I do like Scotland and still have good friends up there. For a weekend, Glasgow and Edinburgh are both normally top class too.

The one weird thing I found was Rangers fans, who sang GSTQ, waved Union Jacks, but would still give out fairly horrible abuse if they found you were English. Possibly the most screwed up, hate-filled rabble I have ever come across. They only use our national symbols as tools to show their hatred of Catholics.

Now i know you've been here, daft aint it :laugh: and the other mob are just as bad supporting Ireland when 90% of them are no more Irish than the Pope.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I have always had Albania down as being rather depressing. Lead by a Communist leader who fell out with the Soviets and then the Chinese too so they remained a staunch Stalinist state right up until the 1980s.

Hang on a minute. Sod the politics, you forgot to mention that they absolutely idolised Norman Wisdom. Those Albanians sound spot on to me.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

I would echo that sentiment, whenever I had a day off in the week I would jump on a train and head across to Glasgow, a city that I grew to love...mainly because the people are so down to earth, don't think you will ever find a two faced Glaswegian, they are refreshingly honest and let you know exactly where you stand.

Funny what you say about Rangers fans, most of the really serious abuse I found myself on the end of was from people who followed them...talk about flag of convenience.

What made me laugh was that I followed Hearts, who had a policy of flying the flags of their player's countries from flagpoles on the floodlights....from my flat I could see a couple of corners of the ground and often found myself opening my curtains in the morning to see the cross of St George flying proudly above the ground in honour of Lee Makel, the English member of the squad.

brightonbluenose

May 6, 2006

Strange that as Rangers fans are pro-Union and generally pro-English!

As a Rangers fan who was born in Scotland but has lived in Brighton for 45 years, so have a Brighton accent, I've never heard Rangers fans slating the English!!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Looking back, one of the things that struck me odd was that many of my Scottish friends in Edinburgh were Hibee's...who have a similar, but not as bitter or violent, relationship as the old firm...I think they treated me as a bit of an object of curiousity, an Englishman who followed a local team, albeit their cross-city rivals...but who also had a healthy dislike of the Rangers and Celtic mob.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Can I extend this to European Russia? The rudest most miserable bunch of tossers I've had the displeasure to encounter. Throw in an ample pinch of racism, general xenophobia and some brutish violence and it all makes for a thoroughly unpleasant sh1thole of a country.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Did you read about the French Army yesterday? Started grass fires that are threatening Marseilles. It's a wonder they haven't surrendered.

Probably a few Brits involved in this one - it was the Foreign Legion out training

Wales

They really don't like us do they? :guns::hammer:

so, Wales is the worst European country because someone didn't like you! - you've been listening to that scouse ginger bitch Ann Robinson too much :wrong:

Just because most Welsh people cheer when England lose a rugby match (something that does baffle me TBH, it's a rugby thing!) doesn't mean were all anti-English mate :mad:

In fact, Swansea are regularly critiscised by Cardiff fans for parading Union Jack flags - depends where you go though, just stay away from Cardiff.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I was stationed at St. Athan near Cardiff for a while in the forces and had no probs with the people of South Wales, my drving instructor was called Richie Burton and like his more famous name sake was a Jack. He used to make me laugh by spitting at Ninian Park every time we went past it.
I did hear that the Norhern Welsh were a different kettle of fish altogether though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
so, Wales is the worst European country because someone didn't like you! - you've been listening to that scouse ginger bitch Ann Robinson too much :wrong:

Just because most Welsh people cheer when England lose a rugby match (something that does baffle me TBH, it's a rugby thing!) doesn't mean were all anti-English mate :mad:

In fact, Swansea are regularly critiscised by Cardiff fans for parading Union Jack flags - depends where you go though, just stay away from Cardiff.

I've been to Cardiff a lot of times, for a variety of reasons, and really like the place. Never had any problems. There's some great new architecture there, some great pubs (Royal Oak in Roath springs to mind) and nice waterfront. People seem friendly as well.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Hang on a minute. Sod the politics, you forgot to mention that they absolutely idolised Norman Wisdom. Those Albanians sound spot on to me.

You should have travelled in Serbia, they would wilingly wipe out Albania and the Kosovans who came from there.

Serbs are TOUGH people.:hammer:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports