Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst European Country

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
The only country I have ever been to and at times felt really unwelcome was Scotland...many of the locals hate us so much that they won't even utter the word England, they refer to our country as "down south", for fear that mentioning it will cause them irreparable damage. I wouldn't say that Scotland is anywhere near the worst country in Europe, in many respects it is one of the most cultured and visually stunning, but for making me feel as welcome as a pork chop at a barmitzvah it gets my vote.

(I find it really sad having to say this as possibly half of my ancestry is Scottish if I go back more than a couple of generations)

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I have always had Albania down as being rather depressing. Lead by a Communist leader who fell out with the Soviets and then the Chinese too so they remained a staunch Stalinist state right up until the 1980s.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Northern Ireland is FANTASTIC.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
There is nowhere I've been in Europe that had nothing going for it, so I suspect it's somewhere I haven't been yet - maybe one of the former eastern bloc countries, or somewhere like Bosnia.

Of the places I've been, I didn't think Sweden was that great. Very boring, in fact. But then I was with my wife, rather than single and chasing blondes at the time. Bulgaria isn't that great either.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Would agree about Albania. Cannot get excited about Poland, Germany or Romania either

visited the Polish lakes a couple of years back....wonderful countryside and people.

The cities seem to be universally grim though

Honestly can't think of a country where the good parts don't outweigh the bad

Pinkie

Feb 22, 2009
Northern Ireland is supposed to be very beautiful in parts. I'd love to go to Belfast too - it's supposed to be a cracking night out. The worst place I've been to in Europe is Berlin. I know a lot of people like it, including some of my friends, but I went for the England friendly in the Autumn and found it the most backward, grey, evil and depressing shiteholes that I've ever been to on holiday (North Kent probably is worse but I've never gone there on holiday).

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Isn't Albania the only place where UEFA lets you fly in, play and fly out, without doing an otherwise-mandatory overnight? That's hardly a vote of confidence right there...

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
The only country I have ever been to and at times felt really unwelcome was Scotland...many of the locals hate us so much that they won't even utter the word England, they refer to our country as "down south", for fear that mentioning it will cause them irreparable damage. I wouldn't say that Scotland is anywhere near the worst country in Europe, in many respects it is one of the most cultured and visually stunning, but for making me feel as welcome as a pork chop at a barmitzvah it gets my vote.

(I find it really sad having to say this as possibly half of my ancestry is Scottish if I go back more than a couple of generations)

Hate to think where abouts in Scotland you were mate, although im Scottish i speak with an English accent and got far more stick for being Scottish and living in Brighton than i have had in the seven years ive been back up here.
I know it happens both ways round but there are a hell of a lot of English people living up here and they wouldnt stay if the people were as full of hate as you are trying to make out.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
visited the Polish lakes a couple of years back....wonderful countryside and people.

The cities seem to be universally grim though

Honestly can't think of a country where the good parts don't outweigh the bad

Poland is criminally under rated. It can be shitty in parts but f***ing hell everyone overseas thinks Britains all thatched cottages and village pubs.

Sopot is my favourite spot in Poland. And Hitler's, amongst others. A kind of Baltic Le Touquet.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Lived there, Northen Ireland, ENGLISH? :US:

Even the Eastern Europeans are being forced out

Thats the North. The Republic is an entirely different country as many will quickly remind you on here. Are you judging it based on the North (or a quick trip across the border to Dundalk...)?

Northern Ireland has some very nice areas in it too, mostly in the countryside. People there aren't going to care if you're English, no matter what side they're on.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Hate to think where abouts in Scotland you were mate, although im Scottish i speak with an English accent and got far more stick for being Scottish and living in Brighton than i have had in the seven years ive been back up here.
I know it happens both ways round but there are a hell of a lot of English people living up here and they wouldnt stay if the people were as full of hate as you are trying to make out.

I lived in Edinburgh for three years, which is one of the most cosmopolitain cities I have ever been to...however I was subjected to racist abuse from a number of colleagues and on occasion had people turn their backs as soon as I opened my mouth and they heard an English accent.

I wouldn't say that all people were filled with hate, far from it, it only took me a year and a half before I made a genuine friend who was a local, before that they were all foreigners like me. Shortly before I arrived an Englishman was kicked to death in Balerno, for being English, which may have made people a little nervous about associating with us.

I take people as I find them, if they treat me well then their generosity is returned, but having visited maybe fourty different countries around the World I have only received abuse in one based on my ethnicity.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here