Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World cups you can remember ranked.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Before then the Dutch were ecstatic if they got any kind of result against rivals Belgium. After that they took on the world and should have been champions.

I liked Cruyff's autobio (probably a bit too footbally for most, no gossip). It all changed in about 1965 with the genius Rinus Michels and a very young teenage genius Cruyff. Almost overnight Ajax became something special.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Erm.. I tend to forget the competitions once they are over. I think Italia 90 was the first one I remember paying attention to, but can't remember if it was any good or how it stacks up against the all the cups since.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
1) 1982, Coming home from school in time for the afternoon games, England early goal v France, England going home undefeated, Italy poor in group stages, many great games, semi final France v Germany including that assault on Battiston. best game Italy v Brazil, Rossi had been Suspended for the tournament but reduced so he could play, done nothing in group of bore then suddenly came alive for this game. Good final as well. Got the book Spain 82. I think I managed to watch every game on tv.

2) 1978 my first world cup, watching Scotland fail, ticker tape final along with controversy regarding player with arm cast, Mario Kempes. This really got me hooked on football, remember my dad getting me a book of the finals full of photographs of the event still have it, cost I think £10 at the time.

3) 1994 For being in the USA. Even without England.

After that enjoyed all the others to some extent, the only one that I would rate at the bottom is 2010, maybe it was vuvuzela's.

I enjoy the European venues more due to the game times.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think 1978. It's the first one I remember and Scotland won it too.

We're on the march with Ally's Army
We're going to the Argentine
And we'll really shake them up
When we win the World Cup
'Cause Scotland are the greatest football team

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
1990 for me will always be special and hard to beat, with English clubs banned from Europe and the tragedy of Bradford, Heysel and Hillsborough of the late 80's this was the turning point for English football.

It was what we needed, the much needed lift, the revolution had started....

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
1978 in Argentina was probably my favourite

1994 USA (when England weren't there) was the only one I actually went to and with all things American there was some fun to be had.

Diana Ross missing the goal during the opening ceremony and Oprah Winfrey I think it was falling off the stage, and then the divine pony tail (Baggio) skying his penalty in the final (a match I was actually at). Great memories.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here