Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World cups you can remember ranked.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
82 favorite tournament for me ,though the Italy ,Poland ,Cameroon and Peru group was trying .
78 as it was my first tournament .Even at the age of 8 i wanted Peru ,Iran and The Netherlands to do well.
2002 third choice booked 3 weeks off work for that ,went away in the sun for 2 of them . 8 mates beer ,sun and football wonderful.
Favorite ever game ? Brazil 1 Germany 7 .11 dustbins could turn up in Brazil shirts and the pundits would still :wanker: over them . That night was so special.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Yes. But what a midfield Brazil had for the 82 and 86 World Cups. Him, Zico, Falcao and Eder. Yet with all that wonderful finesse their first choice centre forward was Serginho, a carthorse who wouldn't look out of place in Rochdale reserves.

Beat me too it by 1 post . He was awful,yet scored 2 goals in the 82 finals .8 in 20 full caps .He missed the 78 finals serving a ban for assaulting a linesmen.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
memories

06 nope,can't remember anything

Opening match, Germany 4-2 Costa Rica.

England having a relatively good tournament although they had a soft draw. Ronaldo's winking. :rant:

The Zinedine Zidane headbutt in his last ever match for France in the World Cup final. I still can't believe a genius like that lost his cool. He was magnificent throughout their tough route to the final.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Socrates,didn't he smoke 40 a day or something

didn't Rossi win a lifetime supply of Italian shoes (rewards were a little bit more modest back then)

is it true they asked Geoff Hurst what he did after winning the World Cup and he replied 'I cut the grass' (can't be :lol:)

Strangely enough they had the always entertaining Martin O’Neill on Sky this morning and he mentioned Socrates as a 60-a-day man and still brilliant! It followed on from him repeating the tale of the magical Brian Clough and the mercurial Forest winger, John Robertson. Clough always wanted to simplify the game and told most Forest players to just get the ball to the ‘little fat lad’ on the wing and he’d do the rest. O’Neill confirmed Robertson didn’t like being called fat! Robertson was also a legendary smoker in the dressing room before games!

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire
Best 1970 (the first one I remember - a brilliant Brazil, great hope hope foe England but my first realisation that the Germans would always scupper our chances)
Worst 1994 (really forgettable)

Other good ones
1978 - three matches a day - could have done serious damage to my Olevels!
1982 - apart from the format and a dull final - some great football
1986 - France v Brazil a classic; Maradonna imperious; a good final and some free scoring games in the qualifiers
1990 - the experience rather than the football - changed football for good in this country.
2018 - low expectations but a wide open tournament

Biggest disappointment 2010 - it meant so much to South Africa

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
1. 1966 I have a clear memory of the final the emotions of the adults around of family and friends all gathered around a TV at my parents house for the final and the party that followed first time I had ever seen people drunk Great players truly great players.

2. 1970 England had a fabulous team even better that 1966 and the South Americans knew it they did everything to derail our chances from playing the games in South America to fitting Bobby Moore up arrested, making a racket outside the bedrooms of the team all night before games and some dodgy food poisoning, lack of oxygen and unbelievable heat finally we had a ginger playing who really should not have been out in so much sun then that Brazil match again Bobby Moore what a tackle and what a save by Gordon Banks against the best player to ever win the World Cup. I remember the disappointment of England not winning but also the pride at how we failed to win oh and those bloody Germans!

3. 1990 how many times have teams who have a poor start go on to have a great tournament so was it for England our best chance to win it since 1966 and the last time England had some real world class players and for a breif moment the weather was great people were smiling we really thought England would win the World Cup only problem no one told the Germans

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
2018- England did well, some great football on display and I was surprised at how well Russia hosted

2002- I was engrossed from start to finish. Loads of upsets. Absolutely loved both South Korea and Japan. It has a slightly other worldly feel to it in terms of the coverage. The stadiums looked incredible

1998- The first one I really got into. Michael Owen and all that. Some upsets (Croatia and all that). I was just obsessed with it

2014- The year I got married so to be honest I didn't end up watching that much of it. England were total bullshit. The best team won plus THAT semi final

2006- Bit boring really, remember very little about it. Stadiums were obviously great. It was ok

2010- VUVU****INGZELAS

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
In order of best first:

1990 - the pinnacle for me. It was a heatwave here, Gazza, Lineker, massive crowds of England fans in the centre of Brighton, Italy is a passionate football nation, Cameroon beating Argentina in the opener, great players such as the Dutch and Germans, the BBC theme tune and THE greatest football song ever by New Order.

1998 - again amazing weather here, the Dutch knocking out the Argies, set in stunning France, huge stadia, gifted Croat and Romanian teams.

1974 - except for shame about the final. Would’ve loved that beautiful Dutch team to have been rewarded. Huge, packed, new stadia, brilliant Dutch supporters in legions. Cruyff, Neeskens, Krol, Haan, Rep, Resenbrink.

2006 - loved Italy winning it, arrogant Germany losing at home was fun.

2018 - in fairness Russia and FIFA ran a great tournament, England were very competitive resulting in some opponents hacking down as they couldn’t live with us, huge stadia, what a fascinating host country, high quality football.

1994 - brilliant Brazilian, Dutch and Bulgarian teams. Justice when Italy lost, after violence against Spain’s playmaker Enrique in a key game.

1986 - England’s mini run, Lineker, Barnes, Beardsley, Hodge, Steven, Mexico and the incredible Azteca, The Danish, Belgium and Spanish teams.

1982 - dramatic, Tardelli’s celebration, Eder, Eder, Socrates, Junior, Zico, Falcao, England 3-1 France.

2002 - a bit of a damp squib for me. Awful German and South Korean teams made it through to the final stages. A rubbish time zone for us, watching games in the morning here.

1978 - good BBC theme, Krankl, Dutch without Cruyff, stadia and crowds.

2010 - awful England, the South Africa thing didn’t do it for me.

2014 - Germany better than everyone, simply haven’t any amazing memories.

This, with 1970 added, the first World Cup I can remember. :cool:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Too young to remember 1966, so in order:

1970 - remember thinking why couldn't half the Brazilian team afford Surnames? And That Save...
1974 - Cruyff, that's all
1990 - After many years of enduring England actually enjoyed watching them. We got to the semis and the Jocks didnae get out of the Group stage... :bigwave:

boik

The 66 competition as a whole was nothing special apart from the final and the Argentinian savagery. However, 70, 74 and 78 was the greatest run of world cups I have seen.

70 - The Brazilians were the best ever, but I thought we genuinely had a chance. Unravelled in the last 20 against the Germans after we had them on the ropes.
74 - The Dutch. Cruyff. I fell in love with the guy. They should have won, but they thought they had a chance to humiliate the Germans in the final. Over confidence and overplaying did for them.
78 - The Dutch again (I wanted them to win if for Cruyff who had been threatened if he played). The atmosphere. The tickertape. The long range shooting. The match fixing. Had everything. And Allys army!!

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
1982 and just for that Germany v France semi final ... simply the best game of football I've ever seen

Was that the match the poor French striker, Battison(?) was knocked unconscious and lost some teeth because the German goalkeeper committed GBH on him rushing out of goal? The most disgusting and cowardly thing I've ever seen on a football pitch. :nono:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Was that the match the poor French striker, Battison(?) was knocked unconscious and lost some teeth because the German goalkeeper committed GBH on him rushing out of goal? The most disgusting and cowardly thing I've ever seen on a football pitch. :nono:

Yep, that's the one - although Battiston was a defender, not sure what he was doing there.

Not only was Schumacher not sent off, it wasn't given as a foul - I can't remember many worse ref decisions than that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGq7VcaHoqo

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This, with 1970 added, the first World Cup I can remember. :cool:

I was pre school and simply can’t remember the 70 WCF’s. But I’m aware it’s often mentioned as the greatest tournament and the greatest winners. Brazil, Italy, Germany and England were all truly outstanding, packed with great players in the history of football. That Brazil team ..... stunning.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Opening match, Germany 4-2 Costa Rica.

England having a relatively good tournament although they had a soft draw. Ronaldo's winking. :rant:

The Zinedine Zidane headbutt in his last ever match for France in the World Cup final. I still can't believe a genius like that lost his cool. He was magnificent throughout their tough route to the final.

of course the headbutt,it's all coming back now

I watched it with a room full of french people,and the following month I moved to France

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The 66 competition as a whole was nothing special apart from the final and the Argentinian savagery. However, 70, 74 and 78 was the greatest run of world cups I have seen.

70 - The Brazilians were the best ever, but I thought we genuinely had a chance. Unravelled in the last 20 against the Germans after we had them on the ropes.
74 - The Dutch. Cruyff. I fell in love with the guy. They should have won, but they thought they had a chance to humiliate the Germans in the final. Over confidence and overplaying did for them.
78 - The Dutch again (I wanted them to win if for Cruyff who had been threatened if he played). The atmosphere. The tickertape. The long range shooting. The match fixing. Had everything. And Allys army!!

Cruyff’s my football idol. For me, more so than Pele, Maradona or Zidane.

With his coach Michels, they changed football forever. [Except for students of Pulis and Warnock].

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here