Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World cups you can remember ranked.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
1990 - sensational world cup from the English - once we got going we should have won it
1970 - greatest team ever to win it, best ever round robin game (with the best ever save) when England met Brazil and the first time I ever cried because of football; Germans again!
1978 - wonderful Argentina side with nutcase home fans - the jocks - and the imperious Dutch (besotted by football then and was still recovering from the disappointment of the Soton/Spurs stitch up to keep us out of Div 1)

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Anyone who says Italy 1990 should be forced to watch every game from the England + Ireland group until they realise the error of their ways.

Yes, a terrible group, but I think you need to remember that Jack Charlton's ROI were not exactly born entertainers. England weren't much better until Robson was forced to change formation/tactics. Having said that the Cameroon & Belgium games will live long in the memory. As for other games who can forget Cameroon v Argentina in the opening game!

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
1) 1970 - just brilliant as a nine year old - Brazil vs Italy final - wow !
2) 1966 - can just remember it
3) 1990 - thought we were going to win it

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Brazil 2014.

I'm never again going to win as much money as I did during that tournament. Everyday I had a winner up to the semi-finals and the best was a last match group game between Bosnia and Iran. Bosnia won 3-1 @ 25/1, Edin Dzeko scored first @ 7/2 and the scorecast was about 80/1. In that dead-rubber I won nearly £500. Thomas Muller bagged a hat-trick in Germany 4-0 Portugal to triple my winnings (£60 turned to £180). It was just incredible, day after day results went my and punters way - apart from Costa Rica reaching the quarter-finals - and despite England blowing it again on the biggest stage of all, this will be my favourite ever World Cup personally.

Edit: My two other favourites are 1990 (England grew into the tournament and Cameroon became everyone's cult team) with 2002 being surreal, watching England v Brazil in the pub at 7.30am with a pint of Stella! 2006 was a month long piss-up so that was enjoyable too.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In order of best first:

1990 - the pinnacle for me. It was a heatwave here, Gazza, Lineker, massive crowds of England fans in the centre of Brighton, Italy is a passionate football nation, Cameroon beating Argentina in the opener, great players such as the Dutch and Germans, the BBC theme tune and THE greatest football song ever by New Order.

1998 - again amazing weather here, the Dutch knocking out the Argies, set in stunning France, huge stadia, gifted Croat and Romanian teams.

1974 - except for shame about the final. Would’ve loved that beautiful Dutch team to have been rewarded. Huge, packed, new stadia, brilliant Dutch supporters in legions. Cruyff, Neeskens, Krol, Haan, Rep, Resenbrink.

2006 - loved Italy winning it, arrogant Germany losing at home was fun.

2018 - in fairness Russia and FIFA ran a great tournament, England were very competitive resulting in some opponents hacking down as they couldn’t live with us, huge stadia, what a fascinating host country, high quality football.

1994 - brilliant Brazilian, Dutch and Bulgarian teams. Justice when Italy lost, after violence against Spain’s playmaker Enrique in a key game.

1986 - England’s mini run, Lineker, Barnes, Beardsley, Hodge, Steven, Mexico and the incredible Azteca, The Danish, Belgium and Spanish teams.

1982 - dramatic, Tardelli’s celebration, Eder, Eder, Socrates, Junior, Zico, Falcao, England 3-1 France.

2002 - a bit of a damp squib for me. Awful German and South Korean teams made it through to the final stages. A rubbish time zone for us, watching games in the morning here.

1978 - good BBC theme, Krankl, Dutch without Cruyff, stadia and crowds.

2010 - awful England, the South Africa thing didn’t do it for me.

2014 - Germany better than everyone, simply haven’t any amazing memories.

Last edited:

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
Germany 2006. I was there for four England games. Had my 20th birthday halfway through, hot weather, great summer.

France 98. First one I really remember. Some superb players and kits.

Russia 2018. First time England had gone further than I expected.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
In my lifetime:

Last really enjoyable one for me, football was pretty good, plenty of decent games: Brazil v France in particular - two world class midfields up against each other - tough neither had any decent forwards, but also Belgium v USSR, Denmark v Uruguay and Spain v Denmark stand out. Plenty of decent players on show: Platini, Zico, Laudrup. Loads of great goals; Josimar v N.Ireland and Poland - not bad for a right back. Even the Uruguayans kicking lumps out of teams failed to ruin it. England played well for two games were dire in two others and unfortunate in the last
Football was decent, plenty of shocks: Algeria v W.Germany, Belgium v Argentina, N.Ireland v Spain, Honduras nearly reaching the second round. Some memorable games: Brazil v Italy, France v W.Germany, Algeria v W.Germany. England started well then ran out of steam
Far more enjoyable than anybody though it would be albeit let down by a dreadful final. Romania v Colombia, Romania v Argentina, Holland v Brazil, Nigeria v Bulgaria, Bulgaria v W.Germany for that Letchkov goal alone. Maradona's failed drug test, Nigerian player celebrating a goal by pretending to be a dog pissing on the corner flag.
First full World Cup for me though I remembered some matches from 1974. Scotland's hubris - how we laughed as Ally McLeod reckoned they would win it but never bothered to check the opposition and came a cropper against Peru and Iran. Tunisia giving the West Germans a scare; a decent French team going out in the group of death; Clive Thomas blowing full time with the ball millimetres from the Swedish net denying a poor Brazil the win; the Peruvian goalkeeper rugby tackling a Polish forward in the latter's half; Archie Gemmill's goal.
The best of the 21st century World Cups, football was generally good and the usual big guns fell by the wayside pretty early: South Korea's victory of Germany; Belgium v Japan; Croatia v Argentina; Ronaldo and Messi exiting in the Second Round; England actually winning a penalty shootout.
My first World Cup but I only remember bits: Scotland failing to put away Zaire; Haiti taking the lead against Italy and both the Polish and Dutch teams. First final I saw.
Not bad as things go, it had its moments but there were a number of dull matches and average teams which isn't surprising with 32 involved. Croatia's defeat of Germany was probably the biggest highlight. England flattered to deceive.
Not bad was a big improvement on 2010 even if it was for that semi-final. Some decent games to: Spain v Holland; Germany v Algeria. England being utterly dismal did not help
Enjoyable - the right team won, but few great matches, plenty of incidents and England weren't that bad.
One of those World Cup's where I remember little and by and large the form book went as planned.
Pretty poor possibly the worst of the 21st century with few memorable matches - Spain winning 1-0 every match was utterly tedious. England were shockingly bad.
Football wise this is by far the worst I remember, still holds the record for the lowest average of goals scored per game (2.1) and catalyst for a number of rule changes that we take for granted in the modern game - keeper unable to pick up back passes, tackle from behind, professional handball, etc. Still it had its moments: Cameroon defenders sending Caniggia into orbit, Costa Rica beating Scotland, David Platt's goal, and the best ever England World Cup record.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Key World Cups ingredients for me are a decent England run in the tournament, a flair Brazil side, one or two of the other British sides in it, great atmosphere and memorable matches. I'm 51 - my best to worst:

1. Italia '90.
2. Russia '18.
3. Argentina '78.
4. Mexico '86.
5. France '98.
6. Spain '82.
7. Brazil '14.
8. Germany '06.
9. Japan / South Korea '02
10.USA '94
11.South Africa '10.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
memories

74 dutch team,Cryuff:bowdown: Poland were actually a very good team,Yugoslavia beating Zaire 9-0,Haiti going 1-0 up against Italy

78 dutch team,Gemmill's goal,Peru beating Scotland,Argentina beating Peru 6-0 to progress,all the paper on the pitch,Kempes

82 Bryan Robson's goal against France,Gerry Armstrong's winner against Spain,Schumacher and the French semi,Fozzie playing

86 Lineker's hat-trick,Wilkins sent off,Maradona's handball & goal,the final,great game

90 Platt's goal,semi against Germany,Cameroon leading 2-1 thinking here we go again

94 Stiochkov,Bulgaria beating Germany,baggio penalty miss

98 England losing in Toulouse,Argentina game,Petit scoring in the final(born in Dieppe)

02 Brazil defeat,win over Argentina

06 nope,can't remember anything

10 vuvuzelas

14 humilation of Brazil by Germany

18 typical England,driving through France on final day,seeing all the french celebrating at every town I went through

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Espana '82

To this day I have not seen a better game than Italy v Brazil, Youtube it and just listen to Motty commentate on that Zico turn.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
1st 1990. I was living in Jersey and watching the games on a massive screen at a concert venue on the seafront. I really thought we were going to win it. We were the best team in the tournament and Gascogne was fantastic. Had a fight with an arrogant jock after we lost the semi.

2nd 1982. Remember watching Brazil/Italy when I got home from school. Tardelli’s celebration in the final. France v Germany semi. And how did Keegan miss?

3rd 1974. My first memory of WC football. Remember it clearly - the Xavier guy booting the ball away, Scotland being rubbish. Cruyff, Neeskens, Rensenbrink, Krol, van Hanagem and the goalie who wore no 8....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Espana '82

To this day I have not seen a better game than Italy v Brazil, Youtube it and just listen to Motty commentate on that Zico turn.

Socrates,didn't he smoke 40 a day or something

didn't Rossi win a lifetime supply of Italian shoes (rewards were a little bit more modest back then)

is it true they asked Geoff Hurst what he did after winning the World Cup and he replied 'I cut the grass' (can't be :lol:)

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
I only remember the ones from 2002 onwards (I'm turning 31 today and got interested in football pretty late.

But I spent a summer watching 90% of all games - excepting those I couldnt find or the very few ones simply to uninteresting - from the 1958 tournament onwards, and my three favorites are probably:

France 1998. No Sweden. Not the most eventful or exciting tournament. But the level of football (both in attack and defense) was astonishing. Never before or after did a tournament have this number of excellent footballers - almost every team was loaded with quality. And it was still in a sort of "pre-globalised" era: every team played according to culture & tradition. All of the top teams were there, as far as I remember.

Spain 1982. Brazil from this year is probably the most watchable and least efficient team in history. People say "football is always improving", but watch one of these games and tell me that the Brazil stars wouldnt make it today - bollocks. They would be even better, considering you cant kill eachother on the pitch nowadays. Lots of exciting games, the semi-final between Germany & France is unforgettable.

Mexico 1970. Lots of goals, Brazil were spectacular and a bunch of exciting games. Only real problem was that you could tell from day 1 that Brazil would win the tournament.

Bubblers: 1974 and 1978, because I love Dutch football. Also 1994 was quite nice for a Swede.

Worst tournaments:

Italy 1990. Incredibly slow, dull and often violent. England & Cameroon was pretty fun to watch, but other than that - complete horseshit. I've never liked Argentina and this tournament fuelled my irritation: how can you produce so many good players yet play so cynical?

South Africa 2010. Spain sleepwalking to the gold with Oranje taking the silver playing their worst football in 50 years. A lot of boring teams, boring football and few upsets excepts for Italy being shit (felt good, admittedly). Only Germany, Uruguay and to some extent Chile was watchable. Forgettable tournament.

Chile 1962. I like football, not MMA.

Bubblers: Russia 2018 - awful, but some tight and exciting games.

The other tournaments - somewhere in between. 2002 is probably the weirdest one, would like to put it in some category but just not possible.
Serginho Brazil striker in 82 Utter dog turd.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here